• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

About today’s Florida shooting

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Can you post the tweet of the student? Wanna read it and the comments.
Seems she deleted the original tweet and apologized with this one:

https://twitter.com/sarahmara16/status/964199257153720320

"About my tweet directed to president trump, I apologize for the profanity and harsh comment I made. I hope you know I’m a grieving 16 year old girl who lost friends, teachers, and peers yesterday. I was and am still angry. I am apologizing for my comment but not for my anger."

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems she deleted the original tweet and apologized with this one:

https://twitter.com/sarahmara16/status/964199257153720320

"About my tweet directed to president trump, I apologize for the profanity and harsh comment I made. I hope you know I’m a grieving 16 year old girl who lost friends, teachers, and peers yesterday. I was and am still angry. I am apologizing for my comment but not for my anger."
Thank you. And poor girl, still think she should have leaved the tweet for bit longer so that incompetent trump could have see it.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. And poor girl, still think she should have leaved the tweet for bit longer so that incompetent trump could have see it.
Oh he'll see it. Screengrabs are all over the news, and we all know how much of that he consumes

Waiting for the Trump tweet that's something along the lines of "Ungrateful girl should be thankful she's alive. SAD"

Reactions: DeslotlCL and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, probably smart not to start a Twitter war with him, though not many would be on Trump's side in that.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread and Quartz wrote an article about it today. "One of Trump’s first acts as president made it easier for the mentally ill to buy guns."

https://qz.com/1207806/parkland-sch...e-it-easier-for-the-mentally-ill-to-buy-guns/

Reactions: DeslotlCL

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I still don't get people's "Defense" of the guns. I still waiting for a valid one that can't be discredited yet.
There is no logical defense of keeping bump stocks legal and automatic firearms highly available. We're simply a gun culture, and much of the country prefers alcohol to weed still. Obviously a dangerous combination on its own without even taking mental illness into account.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I still don't get people's "Defense" of the guns. I still waiting for a valid one that can't be discredited yet.
We've been through this over and over. Everytime it concludes someone pops in with "I don't get defending guns". We don't need to keep sparking that debate.

Guns should be banned. Due to mistrust of government, constitutional rights, no feasible method of banning it will never happen. We need to focus on measures of preventing these tragedies through means of screenings and availability of mental health care. Get off the guns. Theyre not going anywhere, period. Move on to other solutions.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Answer honestly then, do you really think YOU (as tiny americans) can go up against the government without the help of the military? Then you're delusional. It was maybe something in the 1700-1800s but in 2010s? Yeah good luck with that.
It's a bygone law/constitution.

Also, people have overthrown governments without violence as well. Just sayin'

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've been through this over and over. Everytime it concludes someone pops in with "I don't get defending guns". We don't need to keep sparking that debate.

Guns should be banned. Due to mistrust of government, constitutional rights, no feasible method of banning it will never happen. We need to focus on measures of preventing these tragedies through means of screenings and availability of mental health care. Get off the guns. Theyre not going anywhere, period. Move on to other solutions.
The mental health part needs to be part of the overhaul, but the guns NEED to go. Other countries have pulled it off, there's no excuses for us not to try to get the problem under control

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The mental health part needs to be part of the overhaul, but the guns NEED to go. Other countries have pulled it off, there's no excuses for us not to try to get the problem under control
Because they are in our constitution. Its illegal to ban them. As long as anyone wants them to stay, they'll stay. You see a unanimous vote across the board in this country to change that?

Reactions: CallmeBerto

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because they are in our constitution. Its illegal to ban them. As long as anyone wants them to stay, they'll stay. You see a unanimous vote across the board in this country to change that?
You don't need a unanimous vote to hold a constitutional convention, you need 2/3rds of the states to agree that we need one. The problem is that once we hold one, ANYTHING is on the table to potentially be changed, which for some reason everyone seems to be afraid of

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You don't need a unanimous vote to hold a constitutional convention, you need 2/3rds of the states to agree that we need one. The problem is that once we hold one, ANYTHING is on the table to potentially be changed, which for some reason everyone seems to be afraid of
They won't hold a vote because it opens that door. There are things that shouldn't be touched. Once we act on one, everything is fair game.

So, just let more people die?

Okay.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. We should gun up and help take out all the millennials we can. Gfto and stop purposefully exaggerating my words.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. We should gun up and help take out all the millennials we can. Gfto and stop purposefully exaggerating my words.

Sorry for that.

I like your posts, so I don't want to argue.

But I just say. If the government can't change their constitution for something really important, like kids' (and not so kids) lifes in schools, then something is very wrong with it.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They won't hold a vote because it opens that door. There are things that shouldn't be touched.
The Constitution was designed to be changed. There's nothing in there that shouldn't be liable to being updated to fit the needs of the times, that's how we got the Civil Rights Act and both prohibition and the removal of prohibition

Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for that.

I like your posts, so I don't want to argue.

But I just say. If the government can't change their constitution for something really important, like kids' (and not so kids) lifes in schools, then something is very wrong with it.
Absolutely. But we keep having this debate as though there is anything we can do about it. My point is to ground this a bit. The guns will always be a part of US culture, always has been. But there are other things we can do to help. We can donate to our schools to help them with security, we can push for better healthcare which would include availability to mental health, etc. My frustrations come from the gun debate in general. It's a pointless debate. People get so heating over stuff that's not in our power. I'm tired of being told how stupid we Americans are for allowing guns. The fuck are we going to do about it? Please instruct.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The Constitution was designed to be changed. There's nothing in there that shouldn't be liable to being updated to fit the needs of the times, that's how we got the Civil Rights Act and both prohibition and the removal of prohibition
That's a fair point. But it comes back to wether people are willing to open that door. As divided people are on this, I don't see it happening anytime soon. The best we can hope for is individual states to enforce their own policies for background checks and whatnot.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
It's been changed 27 times. I think scratching out a really outdated one won't be a issue.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes, because some brings a gun to them... just imagine if no one had one!
Just imagine if Staff had guns. Less people would've died.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/gXtJ12EeaOs?si=ESC50o7Vr5sUh71I