About to sell my Wii U, want to unlink my account and format the whole system

Discussion in 'Wii U - Nintendo Network' started by GameWinner, Jun 7, 2015.

1. GameWinner
    OP

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, I no longer have any use for this system anymore. Looking to get rid of it and put the money towards my new car. How do I go about unlinking my account and formatting the whole system.
    Bonus question: Can I link my account to another system (if I were to buy another one) and regain my content?

2. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    In the eShop under the Settings, you should be able to unlink from there. Once you do so, head to the System Settings and there is a Format Console option. That should return it to 100% factory settings and remove your NNID.

As well, if you do get a new console, you can log in and you should get all content back, as it's linked to the NNID and not the console anymore.

GameWinner likes this.
  3. GameWinner
    OP

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Thanks a lot man!

4. NaokiKitsuhine

NaokiKitsuhine GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2008
    Brazil
    Is that true?! Thats a good news, can you provide me a link about this?!

5. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    That's what the NNID system was introduced for, haha. It's been confirmed often too. There's also system transfer which does this as well.

6. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Does this apply to 3DS too?

I read that some people had to call Nintendo to get their content back on a different device.

7. Madridi

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Yeah I second this. Since when? It has always been tied to both console and nnid. A simple login to another 3ds (and Wii U) won't let you redownload anything :s

8. riggs

riggs GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2006
    Lincs
    Thread bump/hijack...

I created a NNID on my WiiU and a separate one on my 3DS (for purposes I'll not explain). I now want to just have a single NNID for all systems, how do I unlink the NNID from my WiiU, without deleting my savegames?

9. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Pretty sure this is one of those instances where you need to call Nintendo to merge your accounts together after confirming you own them both. Unlinking will probably leave your games alone, but once you try to log in with the new account it won't work and tell you it's linked to another account (the one you unlinked), forcing you to system format before the new one can be linked. That's how the 3DS is at least and I imagine the WiiU works in very similar fashion.

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I say keep them separate. If you ever want to sell either of the consoles with the games on them you will have a problem as you will need to give them the NNID that is linked to your other console as well.