A snes emu for ds that has wifi, is it possible

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by bombflame, Sep 1, 2007.

1. bombflame
    OP

Newcomer bombflame Advanced Member

United States
    Does anyone know if this can be done it would be kool if people can play SMw world hacks on wifi over the interent and dont have to use a stink old psp for it

2. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    I don't think it's possible, since Nintendo games use Nintendo's Official Server for Wifi games like MKDS. I don't think a homebrew game maker will buy his own server for other peoples enjoyment, or use Nintendo's Server, that's not right >.> So in other words. I don't THINK it's possible, might be though :X

3. Magnifico

Member Magnifico GBAtemp Regular

United States
    theres at least one homebrew game out there with wifi

4. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    I know, I think he's using Nintendos Server somehow >.>

5. bombflame
    OP

Newcomer bombflame Advanced Member

United States
    interesting i see anyone have any ideeas

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    It might be possible, but yes it would require an external server. However, my main concern would be how to get the two DSs in sync with each other, as that could be a major issue.

7. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Really? I think he has his own server.

If you're right this might explain why there are reports of Nintendogs being played online...

8. Pigwooly

Member Pigwooly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There's servers set up for online snes emulation when using a computer. Maybe these could be adapted for use with the DS? I have no clue myself, sounds like it'd be hard to implement, but amazingly awesome.

9. villa_bryan

Newcomer villa_bryan Advanced Member

United States
    i remember a long time ago with zsnes and snes9x i was able host my own game and my partner would just key in my ip address. we both had dial up so it sucked butt. but later when we got dsl it was pretty sweet.

isn't the servers just for like playing ppl randomly? or creating rooms and making one central place where the game is played?

what if it were decentralized and ppl hosted there own games? and we could all be on some irc chat room or on a forum exchanging or nds's ip?

just a thought

10. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    You people should really talk when you don't know what you're talking about.

Is it possible? Yes. Has homebrew netplay been done? Many times. Will anyone bother to do it with snes emus? Probably not.

11. Magnifico

United States
    yea thats what im wondering, does it really need a server?

12. HyoImowano

Member HyoImowano GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It would not need a server, but you'd have to manually input your friend's IP address and he would have to be waiting for you.

I'll settle for local wireless SNES emulation, Final Fight 3 is HOT with 2 players.

13. hakdizzle

Member hakdizzle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It is totally possible, I believe netplay has been ahieved in some homebrew already

14. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    It may be possible without one, but using one of the DS' as a server would by no means be the ideal way to do it. Having a server host the games will cut down on lag considerably.

Also, as Linkiboy already mentioned, these "possibility" threads are pretty useless.

15. Magnifico

United States
    well in PC emulation emulators where you connect to a server (i.e. kaillera) always lag far more than emulators that connect p2p with one person as host and one pesron with client (i.e zsnes). would it be different for DS?

16. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Definitely. The DS' wireless speed is only a fraction of the speed a PC has. In its case it would be much more efficient to have a remote server hosting it.

Also, what you said about hosting isn't true. There are many people I play regularly with that I get terrible connections with using a direct connection.

17. Magnifico

United States
    ah, i see.

maybe its a specific case of zsnes's netcode being so far ahead, but thyose people who yuou get terrible connections with would be even worse playing on a middleman-server emulator. zsnes by far has the fastest netplay of any emulator ever released

also, i dont think possibility threads are useless... i had the same question, i just didnt know if it was a possible thing or not. being possible may not make it practical or make it come, but it still answers questions!

18. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Umm... no. Using a remote server decreases the lag dramatically in those cases.