A “Proper” Pokemon Console Game Could Save the Franchise

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A proper game could save the franchise? Since when does it needs saving? I was convinced that Pokemaniacs lap up anything Nintendo spews at them, regardless of quality...

Also, Guild is right. The fact that something is targeted at kids doesn't in any way justify sub-par quality. Trying to refute that is just trying to find arguments that Pokemon is somehow inheritently "better" then anything else, thus doesn't have to follow the standards set. No, it's a game/anime like any other, and if it's sub-par then it's only because its creators don't really give two flips about what they're actually doing. The passion is gone, it's been gone for quite some time, now it's all about profit.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are comparing American animation to Japanese anime. Neither of the thing you listed as solely for kids. Pokemon was made with the intent of only kids watching it.

Avatar was designed for kids too. But it ended up being good enough to be enjoyable for both children and adults. Same can be said for other particularly good animated series (the 90's Batman stuff If I recall correctly, Gargoyles is apparently excellent as well although I haven't seen it in years).

Pokemon is not getting a pass because it's Japanese or its target audience is children. It's a shit show that's only viewed by its former fans as "nostalgic" or from adults as "that painful experience you sit through because your kid dragged you into it".

There is literally nothing good about the show, it is simply inexcusable. I watched the show hardcore as a kid. I waited every Saturday morning for it to come on and I couldn't wait for the next episode. But I've grown up now. I can view things objectively, and through terms of plot, characters, and animation, compared to other children's shows, it does not hold up at all nor did it hold up when it was created.

Avatar was made by Americans - Americans know that a show is not going to do well if they only aim to please one demographic when placed outside of Nick Jr or Disney Jr. The show was great, yes, no doubt about that. However, when making a show, you throw in things that simply don't appeal to children. For example, Aang's interest in Katara, Zuko's issues between him and his father and not things that say "this is a kid's show, why are you watching it?" Pokemon was a show designed for kids and catered to kids, which is why I've bolded the last paragraph. There is not a part in Pokemon that leaves you with a giant cliffhanger nor is it a series where you have to watch previous episode to really sink yourself into it. It's a simple show made for kids while understanding that the average kid does not want an intense plot, love stories, perfect animation - it's for kids.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
A proper game could save the franchise? Since when it needs saving? I was convinced that Pokemaniacs lap up anything Nintendo spews at them, regardless of quality...

Also, Guild is right. The fact that something is targeted at kids doesn't in any way justify sub-par quality. Trying to refute that is just trying to find arguments that Pokemon is somehow inheritently "better" then anything else, thus doesn't have to follow the standards set. No, it's a game/anime like any other, and if it's sub-par then it's only because its creators don't really give two flips about what they're actually doing. The passion is gone, it's been gone for quite some time, now it's all about profit.
I think this can easily apply to the main series of games as well. Ever notice how the games, even after over a decade, still use horrible looking sprite-based models for battles, and how most attacks consist of nothing but one sprite shifting slightly in one direction and back, and then the other sprite flickering to indicate "damage"? It's ridiculous. Nintendo is purposely holding Pokemon back technologically because they don't want to put effort, and they know countless people will buy it "just because it's pokemon". It's like the newer Final Fantasies, but worse.

This, I say, is the main reason Pokemon Black/White wasn't released for 3DS, and it's the same reason Black/White 2 isn't a 3DS release, either. They know the 3DS is capable of much more powerful graphics and they'll basically be FORCED to just true cgi character models and animations, so they avoid it so they don't have to do that. And it really pisses me off.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Avatar was made by Americans - Americans know that a show is not going to do well if they only aim to please one demographic when placed outside of Nick Jr or Disney Jr. The show was great, yes, no doubt about that. However, when making a show, you throw in things that simply don't appeal to children. For example, Aang's interest in Katara, Zuko's issues between him and his father and not things that say "this is a kid's show, why are you watching it?" Pokemon was a show designed for kids and catered to kids, which is why I've bolded the last paragraph. There is not a part in Pokemon that leaves you with a giant cliffhanger nor is it a series where you have to watch previous episode to really sink yourself into it. It's a simple show made for kids while understanding that the average kid does not want an intense plot, love stories, perfect animation - it's for kids.

None of what I read is justifiable for the quality of Pokemon. What I'm reading is "Pokemon was aimed at kids so they don't need to care about quality".

I think this can easily apply to the main series of games as well. Ever notice how the games, even after over a decade, still use horrible looking sprite-based models for battles, and how most attacks consist of nothing but one sprite shifting slightly in one direction and back, and then the other sprite flickering to indicate "damage"?

Because Pokemon Battle Revolution looked so much better.

Pokemon games are founded on simplicity. Compared to a console RPG, they flop. RPGs are usually known for being immensely deep in their gameplay and intricate in their story. Pokemon possesses none of this. It's mainly why it makes such a good handheld RPG.

Pokemon is quick. The sprites and mild animation make battles last less than a minute at times. The mechanics are light and easy to access. You can pick up the game and know it rather well within minutes. The story is light so you don't need to follow or care for it. It's both the best handheld RPG ever because of these mechanics and one of the worst console RPGs because of these mechanics.

Trying to make Pokemon into something that's not Pokemon, by focusing on story and drawn out animation, defeats the purpose of the game.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

None of what I read is justifiable for the quality of Pokemon. What I'm reading is "Pokemon was aimed at kids so they don't need to care about quality".
They don't need to care about quality in the preface that it'll be watched by adults judging the show for having a lacking plot or poor animation, no.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a good idea for a pokemon game would be one that began in the Kanto region, then (After beating the Elite 4 of that region) could challenge two trainers to recieve the other two starters. After doing so, you could go to Johto and do the same. This ALL could be in one game, and would continue through each region. New regions and pokemon through DLC? :D

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The franchise definitely needs be saved from a constant string of high sales and relatively highish review scores.

Also there's a reason Pokemon does well as a portable RPG and not as a console RPG. Plus all the console RPG games are bogged down with really cut down gameplay mechanics and really stupid storylines.

Blasphemy! Seasons 1 and 2 were awesome!

They were pretty shit.

I enjoyed them as a kid but when you're a kid you're basically classifiable as mentally challenged. Watch it again and try telling me it has genuinely good animation, characters, plots, and humor in a way that doesn't use the word "nostalgic".

Well it is designed for kids and obviously now it doesnt look appealing because season 1 came out like what 1998? For 1998 times, yeah it had good graphics and a good storyline and funny humour. If the plots, animation and humour were on par with programmes now. It'd mean no progress has been made in over a decade and i'd be worried.
Its almost like saying the ps1 is a crappy console. It was the boss in its days, Everyone took their memory cards and games to others houses to play some tekken 3 and crash bandicoot.

But i have to admit a good console free roam would be awesome for pokemon. If done right, it could be epic, but obviously pocket monsters belong in your pocket.

I think you don't get it. If I watch the first Mr Bean, it will be funny the same way. If I watch the first season of the Simpsons it will still be funny. Lion King will always be a remarkable movie, although it's so old that I was a baby when watched It the first time. Dragon Ball is a legendary Anime, the one that made a revolution in the shonnens, and if you watch it back you'll see how good the battles are even nowadays.

PS1?! That was always a piece of crap, owners of Nintendo 64 will get it.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its been said already but it doesnt need saving.

Yes its a bit repetitive now, and yes so so many un-needed pokemon but its still addictive and people still buy it, ill get the new game, cause I love the franchise they havent changed it drastically from generation to generation and to be honest the majority of changes they have made to the series have given it more depth (im not talking about the stupid dance contests etc) im on about ev's and iv's which have added a competitive multiplayer element, im on about breeding which gives you a chance to customise move-sets and im on about the inclusion of many dual types of pokemon which means unless you play smart and cover your ass from every angle your not going to get very far.

Ok Game Freak doesnt take full advantage of the systems they do put in place but then again thats what the modding communities for, all these elements with a game thats been made progressively harder by the community equates to a game that a 4 year old or a 40 year old can enjoy and and find challenging on different levels.

Sorry to cliché it but seriously why fix what obviously isnt broken

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
So the next Pokemon game was revealed in Japan to be Pokemon Gray Pokemon Black and White 2? This is slightly getting ridiculous, with Nintendo throwing out Pokemon games on the Nintendo DS as if we actually want them now. I mean I know they sell, but they sell to little kids, not to people my age.

By your logic, you should stop playing kids' games and get a life. Nintendo's target audience for Pokemon was for kids, starting day 1. They're expecting the majority of Pokemon customers to be children.

AkiroWolfman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol this thing made me laugh, it just sounds like someone wants Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow made for consoles. Ain't going to happen, I think that the games are still interesting to an extent. The thing that bothers me about them is the Pokemon themselves, they seem to be lacking originality these days that they had ages ago. The regions I always find interesting and the storyline for Black and White was pretty good too.

I might not be as interested as I once was but I will continue to like it for years to come I'm sure.

Reactions: 1 person

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"I iz a gen 1 fan und I thinkz Pokemonz after furst genn dont exits"

That's the vibe I get from that article.

The Pokémon franchise is doing better than ever and doesn't need saving. A console game would be nice however.

Nice try "Charlie".

Reactions: 3 people

AkiroWolfman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I iz a gen 1 fan und I thinkz Pokemonz after furst genn dont exits"

That's the vibe I get from that article.

The Pokémon franchise is doing better than ever and doesn't need saving. A console game would be nice however.

Nice try "Charlie".
I agree a Pokemon game would be nice on one of the consoles, and it is also true that the WiiU has all sorts of Potential for this. But come on "Pokemon Kanto" thats not even a good name.

Pokemon is going well still up to this day and it wasn't because of any one thing, it was because of a lot of different things but the three main ones being the cards, the games and the anime. The anime is doing....well find I suppose, the card as last I checked are still popular unlike some other card games that have gone into obscurity (I'm looking at you Duel Masters) and the games themselves are perfect as is.

Sure they might not be as deep or as fufilling as some games but when you have trudged through loads of Pokemon defeating trainer after trainer and Pokemon after Pokemon just to do your absolute best and kick the ass of the last guy that made you "white out" then you know your getting a good game.

I completed Pokemon Black for the first time a few months ago and was determined to do it with the squad in game, but after it was done I thought to myself "God now I can bring my squad from SoulSilver, Score" and so I did but it just proves that Pokemon comes from a Powerful history and is still doing well from old and new.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo my friend Charlie, I don't think its Pokemon that needs saving. I think its your loudy blogging.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, Something that sells millions and has high ratings needs saving?

The only problem with Pokemon was its horrible anime.
Blasphemy! Seasons 1 and 2 were awesome!

Exactly, and there's like 10 of them
15 to be more precise. And OVER 9000 EPISODES.
Nah 600 episodes AND COUNTING.
On-topic: The pokemon series need saving? SAVING???? WHAT??? NO!!! We're talking about a series that makes S**TLOADS of money. As long as there are gullible little kids on earth (and the pokemon purists that doesn't complain or still loves the seires), GF will KEEP making money.
And it's one of the main reasons B&W2 is on the DS.

MakiManPR

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
The franchise definitely needs be saved from a constant string of high sales and relatively highish review scores.

Also there's a reason Pokemon does well as a portable RPG and not as a console RPG. Plus all the console RPG games are bogged down with really cut down gameplay mechanics and really stupid storylines.

You know there are 2 companies that do Pokemon games right? GameFreak has never done a Pokemon console game and I wonder why.

MakiManPR

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
On-topic: The pokemon series need saving? SAVING???? WHAT??? NO!!! We're talking about a series that makes S**TLOADS of money. As long as there are gullible little kids on earth (and the pokemon purists that doesn't complain or still loves the seires), GF will KEEP making money.
And it's one of the main reasons B&W2 is on the DS.

So the next Pokemon game was revealed in Japan to be Pokemon Gray Pokemon Black and White 2? This is slightly getting ridiculous, with Nintendo throwing out Pokemon games on the Nintendo DS as if we actually want them now. I mean I know they sell, but they sell to little kids, not to people my age.

By your logic, you should stop playing kids' games and get a life. Nintendo's target audience for Pokemon was for kids, starting day 1. They're expecting the majority of Pokemon customers to be children.
Don't you remember that we were kids once too? We were the ones that made the franchise famous by buying Red, Green, Blue and Yellow. We grew up with Pokemon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging