Hacking A new update tonight

kevin1231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there is going to be any hacks and such released. I have my old 3DS ready. I havent touched it in months. Recently picked up a 3DS XL a month ago and have been enjoying a bunch of games I got in a nice bundle off ebay, plus Im gonna give Professor Layton a shot, since I got it for free with the club nintendo special going on. If the hacks/exploits are released, my good ol Ambassador 3DS will be revived to put some nice stuff on it.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
back in the days they said that new wii system cant be hacked and if you updated it, you cant run home-brew. I waited for couple of month and new hack was released and i hacked my wii no problems.. so what's the big fuss about new update, i mean, if you hack 3DS on v4 you could hac it on v5, 6, 7 ...etc....

aaah i get frustrated every time i see this thread! :glare:

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
back in the days they said that new wii system cant be hacked and if you updated it, you cant run home-brew. I waited for couple of month and new hack was released and i hacked my wii no problems.. so what's the big fuss about new update, i mean, if you hack 3DS on v4 you could hac it on v5, 6, 7 ...etc....
Except that's not the case here. The reason the Wii could be hacked over and over was that it didn't use modern technologies (the Wii was old technology the day it came out), but the 3DS does. Look up stuff like ASLR, the NX bit (DEP is the x86 equal) and other things.

Reactions: Lacius

OldClassicGamer

Serbian Prinny
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
If we must not update to newest software, then hackers better release hack already because I am pretty much in bad position. I need to hack my 3DS once because I need region free ability but it also isn't fair because newer games will force update. I guess I must wait and see when will hack be released.

takuyayagami

Trophies
XP
Country
reading this made me depress lol more than I am now since my flashcard is an r43ds sdhc ver 4.4 and it doesnt work with the new firmware and after all that work to find Tales of Innocence to play it :( screw you nintendo T ^ T

Seratonin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
reading this made me depress lol more than I am now since my flashcard is an r43ds sdhc ver 4.4 and it doesnt work with the new firmware and after all that work to find Tales of Innocence to play it :( screw you nintendo T ^ T
If you want, you can donate to there chip decapping fundraiser...

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Except that's not the case here. The reason the Wii could be hacked over and over was that it didn't use modern technologies (the Wii was old technology the day it came out), but the 3DS does. Look up stuff like ASLR, the NX bit (DEP is the x86 equal) and other things.
It was because TT didn't announce all the vulnerabilities. Once Nintendo fixed one, they had another. Lots of stuff got blocked from updates, and fixed exploits never worked again. The last two System Menu updates have been nothing but patches against homebrew. That's why it's smart to stick with 4.1, you get the most brick recovery options with no downsides.

WalkerD

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I went ahead and updated. As much as I'd like the 3DS to become as open as the Wii, I don't have much faith in that happening. Not to say anything about the people currently working on it, I'm just not optimistic.

Edit: That new member thing on my five year old account is kind of weird, but whatever.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH I don't even have a 3DS, It's 3D effects makes my eyes go funny and gives me a migraine. Some have said well just turn off the 3D but that's like having a car but you cant use more than 1st gear. So I am waiting for used 3DS's to be at a low enough price point.

That said I do like to watch the situation between hackers / homebrew creators and Nintendo :P
I've been there, and in not being able to drive your car higher than first gear, your car is useless.

The 3DS functions perfectly well without 3D. I rarely even use it on mine. It's more like driving a perfectly good car and just not being able to use the radio.
I'd say it's more like:
  • playing with the Wiimote but not using motion control
  • driving a Chevrolet Volt with only gas, no charging
  • go to school but don't learn
  • having an iphone/android smartphone but only use it for games and apps, no calls
  • be frustrated about not having an alarm clock despite owning a DS, tablet, computer, laptop, smart tv, cellphone
  • buy adobe photoshop to draw mustaches on photos

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Or it could be the fact that the Wii was hugely famous (which most people on the temp seems to ignore) and its architecture was similar enough to that of the Gamecube that the hackers could reuse what they learned with the Gamecube on the Wii. In a similar comparison, the PS1 and PS2 were both easily hackable through their entire lifespan and no one considers them to use "old technology" in their time.

OldClassicGamer

Serbian Prinny
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
It was because TT didn't announce all the vulnerabilities. Once Nintendo fixed one, they had another. Lots of stuff got blocked from updates, and fixed exploits never worked again. The last two System Menu updates have been nothing but patches against homebrew. That's why it's smart to stick with 4.1, you get the most brick recovery options with no downsides.

Exactly. Anyone remember PS3 situation. 3.55 was the last one that could install custom firmware for very long time

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Or it could be the fact that the Wii was hugely famous (which most people on the temp seems to ignore) and its architecture was similar enough to that of the Gamecube that the hackers could reuse what they learned with the Gamecube on the Wii. In a similar comparison, the PS1 and PS2 were both easily hackable through their entire lifespan and no one considers them to use "old technology" in their time.
Because at the time, they weren't.

The Wii and Wii U, however, were using old architectures without hardware security measures the day they came out, when those hardware security measured had already existed for years.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Because at the time, they weren't.

The Wii and Wii U, however, were using old architectures without hardware security measures the day they came out, when those hardware security measured had already existed for years.
And that's why it took 2 full years to hack the Wii.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
And that's why it took 2 full years to hack the Wii.
This isn't about the speed of the initial hack. Even though the Wii was using an older architecture, it was still a custom design and custom software. It's just that once people found out how it worked, it didn't take long to start breaking it again and again because the hardware itself had no protections against this, they just needed to find a new vulnerability in a commonly-available piece of software. They inject some code and point the Wii at it, the Wii runs it, bam. They write whatever, wherever.

With the 3DS, however, game/software flaws mean nothing if you can't actually run custom code you want to put into the system, and the 3DS will not just run any blob of code you inject anywhere, thanks to NX. They get one-time runs (assuming it's even 100% success and doesn't need retries due to timing differences) and with limited control inherited from the software exploited, can't change the system's operating in any meaningful way.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Nintendo want people to BUY their software so bad...

By the way, what does it mean "3DS is hard to hack"? does that mean it takes time or it is impossible to hack. But if it's impossible, than why is there chip decapping fundraiser? but since there is deccaping fundraiser than that means there is hope, right?
and what will decapping bring us..? fully unlocked system??

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Nintendo want people to BUY their software so bad...

By the way, what does it mean "3DS is hard to hack"? does that mean it takes time or it is impossible to hack. But if it's impossible, than why is there chip decapping fundraiser? but since there is deccaping fundraiser than that means there is hope, right?
and what will decapping bring us..? fully unlocked system??

I don't know.
After they got their required money I don't know what they can do. 3DS Rom impossible right?
I care about the 3DS rom playing more than homebrew

Reactions: Metoroid0

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I don't know.
After they got their required money I don't know what they can do. 3DS Rom impossible right?
I care about the 3DS rom playing more than homebrew
I know i'm frustrated 'cause i updated 3DS to v5.... they should said that before new version came out, so people who would like homebrew or rom's on their 3DS wouldn't install that newer version of software (like my self) but that's something that goes without saying, right... but still, a warning on GBAtemp would be good.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I know i'm frustrated 'cause i updated 3DS to v5.... they should said that before new version came out, so people who would like homebrew or rom's on their 3DS wouldn't install that newer version of software (like my self) but that's something that goes without saying, right... but still, a warning on GBAtemp would be good.

There was, but it was late.
And besides, the hackers could take down this new update anyway.

Reactions: Metoroid0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlxH_Th3-LI