• Views 11,566
  • Replies 125

kitetsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Raestloz said:
Dynasty Warriors, somehow I find all of its brethren is just the same repetition

Actually, i thought DWDS was worse than any pre-DW6 title. The minute i found that the characters have this dinky 2-frame run animation, i immediately deleted it off my flashcart.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tag.

It just isn't my cup of tea. What's my motivation for chasing you? Plus, I think the controls are a bit sketchy I'm always tripping and sh*t.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games

It's included in both of Santa's nice and naughty list. When it comes to that game, the definition of "fun" is to break the console and damage the input device.

mossy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with Prophet's response - Tag is way overrated and full of murky design and bugs in the code. I also found a lot of people cheat, which is unfair.

jan777 said:
i dont really see anythig good about the FF series imean cmon,its just the same game with diff people, story etc
So basically... it's not the same game - your logic is flawed and misguided. If two games are set in different worlds with different stories and characters, they are different games, irrespective of anything else. Also, the game mechanics change with each iteration, too. Try playing the first one, then FF7, FF8, FF12 (I choose them because they are the most different in their play styles and battle systems, IMO) - there are significant differences between them that would require you to learn the new system each time.

Besides, most games in all genres follow a formula, each only deviating slightly so as to stand out from the crowd.

..you also mentioned health/hit points. Do you realise that all game characters/units/buildings (that can be killed) have these, no matter what the genre or individual game? You just don't always get such visceral feedback as in turn-based - and often other types of - RPGs.

D

Deleted User

OP
"The same game with different stories and characters"

unsure.gif

juicemousezero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
warmijwilfaain said:

unsure.gif

Heh!

Anyway, for me it's the Zelda series. Except for the very first Zelda game on the NES (which I got to the last dungeon in but never actually finished), I've never really gotten into one, but I've played the vast majority... I dunno what it is. I guess the game just has a lot of quirks that I don't care for.

I also failed to see what was so great about TWEWY, but maybe I just didn't play it enough... but between the annoying game play and the alloying characters and the annoying music it just kinda seemed I had little reason to play it any more than I did. "shrug*

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
warmijwilfaain said:

unsure.gif

Agreed, what game lamer than a same game?

A same game with the same story, character, but slightly-different gameplay

That is: Dynasty Warriors 1 through 6 and their spin-offs, that makes it,what? around 12 same games

VBKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yoshi's Island DS
Ocarina of Time
Kirby's Dream Course
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
Final Fantasy Series
Mario Party Series
Everything Sonic
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series
All Pokemon RPGs after Gold/Silver (I didn't like crystal either) I did like the addition of choosing a girl though.
Super Mario 64
Donkey Kong Country 3

There are several others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

As for the opposite, (games with bad scores that I enjoyed)

Touch Detective
Touch Detective 2 1/2

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
After reading some people's posts, it seems like only 1 or 2 series interest them. Hope they make lots of games X( I don't like Contra, Castlevania, and Phoenix Wright. They are great games, just doesn't appeal to me.A guy can only take so much time playing Turn-based games. Advance Wars: Days or ruin is possibly the only game I ever liked turn-based in, but I dropped that game a month later as well. If there were RPGs like soma Bringer, I'd have to get an 8 Gb card

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
It's nice to hear a new perspective on some of these titles. Everyone knows everyone likes different things, there's such a wide group of users here that I bet everything will be mentioned at least once
smile.gif

For me, it'd be Super Mario. I didn't grow up with Nintendo consoles, so I don't have the nostalgia-love thing some people get over the Mario franchise characters. Apart from Yoshi's island (which was brilliant) the other early Mario games that got ported to GBA just didn't keep my interest at all. It's strange because I normally love platformers of all shapes and sizes, but I really don't like these.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dislike GTA because of the focal point being violence. I DON'T usually like extreme violence. I'm a happy bright colors kind of guy (and i'm not gay). The game wasn't even that good underneath all the ghetto wannabee atmosphere.

Pokemon is okay, but they NEVER change the games at all. The first two on the GB were new and fresh and good fun (and I like their remakes due to the modernizations), but the series quickly became a money scam with every new release. They'll release up to 3 versions of the exact same game except for one or two exclusive pokemon. Money scam.

Megaman has become the same. It's a solid series with some great titles, but it's another money scam that promotes lazy game making.

Dementium was good for the first 2-3 chapters, but then got repetitive. There's so little variation in level design, you'll think you're in the same room over and over again. Such a good idea destroyed by a few technicalities.

World War 2 games are way too common.

Lunar Knights and the Boktai series have some turnoffs for me. Lunar Knights I truly dislike (especially the flight sequences), but the Boktai games I should probably give another chance.

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
granville said:
World War 2 games are way too common.

Yeah, my vote goes to basically any WWII game, especially first-person shooters. I love the gameplay ideas and how you have to use cover, but I hate the idea of replaying a nonfictional war for fun. It just kind of disgusts me just a little bit, and I get a weird feeling when your fellow soldiers are screaming in pain around you. I don't really like how they changed the first person shooter mechanic from "run around and shoot things" to "run around and get shot at," either. It just ends up being a more stressfull and less fun experience.

Games like Gears of War and Resistance were exactly what I always said I wanted: something that delivers a similar gameplay experience to all these WWII games, but something based on fantasy and fiction instead of a real war that has been recreated to be "fun."

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wow i have to hold myself back here. soooooo much stuff i could flame people for with my ignorance XDDD. anyway....

Animal Crossing: I mean wtf? i found the game pointless, just make friends build your house and put stuff in your house? i don't get it

All pokemon after Gold/Sliver: it just got boring.

Boktai series/ Lunar Knights: wow i am a fan of "storyline over graphics" however that only applies when the graphics suit the story. this would have been better of being a cheap cartoon network game more than anything.

Hotel Dusk: Seemed like a slower ripoff of the PW series to me. things just happened WAY to slowly for my liking. even though i can sit through a visual novel i cannot sit through this game. i feel asleep playing it a few times.

Advance Wars(besides days of ruin): i don't particularly hate it. i just think modern war games a slightly overdone, especially with FPS. I was never a fan of near future styled storylines to begin with.

Megaman battle network: honestly? i don't even want to start.

I can see massive flame wars coming out of this thread. Also to the person who said all FF's are the same, does that mean all RPG's are the same? in gameplay it mostly is but rpg's like FF, DQ, CT e.t.c concentrate on characters and story. like a book but isn't.

Dhaos_Niko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, let me think:

-The World end with You: horrible charachter design, horrible battle system
-All the GTA after Vice City
-Halo:
-Devil May Cry (yes, you can hate me now): it's fu**in' boring
-FFVIII: I hate everything in this game
-FFX: See FFVIII
-FFX-2: I liked the battle and the job system, but the rest is only a huge pile of junk
-FFXII: Where is the story? And my turn based battles?

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to say that Boktai doesn't have crappy graphics, the problemis that if you're going back at THIS POINT in time and playing them, it's like going back and playing Wario Land 1 now and expecting it to live up to the graphics of other games.

Also, if you don't like storyline over graphics than that's another reason why, Lunar Knights doesn't have 'bad' graphics it has 'old school' graphics, and because of this for people who enjoy their "OMG PS3 GFX PWN JOO" graphics, these games might suck, however for those of us storyline inclined, it's quite fun.

Oh and World War 2 games are indeed crap IMO. As for turnbased games, you can only get so many of them until you're just fking bored.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, iirc she said she is non binary