Hacking A few words on IOSU, redNAND, and iosuhax.

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
There's the kicker - who was the work meant to be shared with?

So you mean you're just blaming the leaker not WiiUBru for their IOSU/redNAND code? obviously the OP didn't stop there and directly criticized redNAND code and why SALT will rule and other open development should cease and desist, I hate repeating but you just keep forgetting, read OP again.

OP claims to support open development but does the other way in his writing, claims we shouldn't judge other people's skill while he can.

I read your long post, but only quoted the short one, I really don't think repeating things can make them true.

It's not like talking and debate, it's like hogs fighting in the mud, I'm out.

Last edited by JimmyZ,

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So you guys get mad when people don't want to release their IOSU tools, and get mad when some other people release their tools??

IMHO releasing IOSU stuff, even unfinished, is good for the community. That's a big step forward (NAND, USB installation...) and I respect both wiiubrew team, and SALT team. They are both skilled and their work is highly appreciated.

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
I've totally ignored all the iosu stuff, I haven't even ran the dumper thing released by Donald Trump on my Wii U. I'm more than happy to use wiiubru and wait for a real release, or at best for the current releases to mature and progress beyond its current early state.

I have no intention of bricking my Wii U thank you very much.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
So you guys get mad when people don't want to release their IOSU tools, and get mad when some other people release their tools??

IMHO releasing IOSU stuff, even unfinished, is good for the community. That's a big step forward (NAND, USB installation...) and I respect both wiiubrew team, and SALT team. They are both skilled and their work is highly appreciated.
The major difderence is that there wasn't a release here. Stuff was copied (as I mentioned above) and developers had to throw together guides and posts to stop everything going absolutely insane. I keep stressing that this was already public but wasn't ready for GBATemp, otherwise they would have posted it themselves like they did with ROP and the OTP.

So you mean you're just blaming the leaker not WiiUBru for their IOSU/redNAND code? obviously the OP didn't stop there and directly criticized redNAND code and why SALT will rule and other open development should cease and desist, I hate repeating but you just keep forgetting, read OP again.

OP claims to support open development but does the other way in his writing, claims we shouldn't judge other people's skill while he can.

I read your long post, but only quoted the short one, I really don't think repeating things can make them true.

It's not like talking and debate, it's like hogs fighting in the mud, I'm out.

I thoroughly read the OP and I see someone saying that it's probably not the best idea to use code that wasn't meant to leave a development forum yet.
I see nothing about the cesation of all open development. I see a suggestion that the transferral of the code between forums was a mishandling of the open development model, sure.
No matter which way you spin it; SALT simply has the better tools already developed (assuming they aren't lying) and the OP certainly acknowledges this; along with the developers.
I don't see the OP judging people's skill; I see him repeating warnings given by the original developers that didnt't get through. I did see you mount a personal attack on him with what you later admitted to be no research or evidence whatsoever.
I don't see hogs fighting in mud; I see myself trying to have a reasonable conversation but being dismissed because my viewpoint happens to be different to yours. If I had posted something completely opposite, would it then be a "debate"?
Last but not least - there was no leak.
There probably will be soon, since the development team has been forced to make an invite-only IRC channel to prevent unfinished code from getting onto GBATemp. I blame that squarely on this incident.

sTo0z

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
and developers had to throw together guides and posts to stop everything going absolutely insane.
I think this is the problem right here.

If the community is the problem, then we need to find ways to address and manage the community. Not put fear and insanity on the burden of developers.

PoC, unfinished work, concepts, thoughts, and theories should be SAFE to be open and in the wild. Developers owe NOTHING above their hard work on their particular areas of interest. If the community wants to grab their tools and fuck their own consoles up, I say let them. The devs sholdn't have had to scramble in ANY way to "stop everything going absolutely insane."

@smealum was able to properly let loose some unfinished work awhile back and he gave a stern warning on the potential dangers of his unfinished stuff, and I feel like that worked ok when he did it. In being part of a community like this, it needs to be UNIVERSALLY UNDERSTOOD in ALL SITUATIONS that there is an inherent RISK involved at EVERY STAGE. Every release, every file, every tutorial, every single thing that comes with the territory of manipulating your console in ways Nintendo never imagined, there needs to be an UNDERSTANDING that you better learn what you're doing, or take the responsibility yourself when you try untested and unfinished tools.

Of course, it's awfully nice when a developer wants to release a guide with his tools, but a dev shouldn't have to scramble in any way. Even if someone posts something and says it's a thing when really it's not. Yes, that's slimey, but each user here needs to understand the risk. All risk should be on the user, in every situation. Be smart, and don't attack developers or cause fear and make tjem want to hide. Everything, even unfinished works, should be safe to be released and discussed.

If the community is the problem, we should fix the community.

Last edited by sTo0z,

Hillary_Clinton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If the community is the problem, then we need to find ways to address and manage the community. Not put fear and insanity on the burden of developers.

PoC, unfinished work, concepts, thoughts, and theories should be SAFE to be open and in the wild. Developers owe NOTHING above their hard work on their particular areas of interest. If the community wants to grab their tools and fuck their own consoles up, I say let them. The devs sholdn't have had to scramble in ANY way to "stop everything going absolutely insane."

@smealum was able to properly let loose some unfinished work awhile back and he gave a stern warning on the potential dangers of his unfinished stuff, and I feel like that worked ok when he did it. In being part of a community like this, it needs to be UNIVERSALLY UNDERSTOOD in ALL SITUATIONS that there is an inherent RISK involved at EVERY STAGE. Every release, every file, every tutorial, every single thing that comes with the territory of manipulating your console in ways Nintendo never imagined, there needs to be an UNDERSTANDING that you better learn what you're doing, or take the responsibility yourself when you try untested and unfinished tools.

Of course, it's awfully nice when a developer wants to release a guide with his tools, but a dev shouldn't have to scramble in any way. Even if someone posts something and says it's a thing when really it's not. Yes, that's slimey, but each user here needs to understand the risk. All risk should be on the user, in every situation. Be smart, and don't attack developers or cause fear and make tjem want to hide. Everything, even unfinished works, should be safe to be released and discussed.

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approve this message

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Fix it?
Kill the community, that's faster :P

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: xtheman

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I say NAND I just mean which ever I'm running, which at the time was my redNAND.

It *should* do both by release.

It again, *should* do both. However, install one wrong title, or something broken and you're bricked forever.
Can't wait to compile and boot it up when it comes out!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol