Hacking A few words on IOSU, redNAND, and iosuhax.

ScienceBETCH

GBATemp's probably not Official Tom-Zero™ Main
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
thanks for making this post,seriously
what people use right now (redNAND etc etc not the brazillian method) is literally messy unfinished and brickfull shit, when people without knowledge try this and brick their console they are all like "WHY DID I BRIK!I H4T3 YOU DEVELOPERS" but its actually not the developers fault, its their fault. They are trying to make stable, clean and safe stuff. You should stick with what you have people.Dont go fuck with your wii u. If you dont care about this post I made, have fun with bricking your console.

I respect what they released tho. just dont use it without knowing.
please thanks

Last edited by ScienceBETCH,

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
So, you've probably seen the news all over GBAtemp about how WiiUBru has cracked IOSU! and cracked redNAND!

The entire thing was worked on publicly in IRC and on the forums, which has led to a lot of cross-posting here. The exploit code is pretty good, and is fine for release, since it's not useful without a developer to build something with it. Sadly, this has led to a lot of unstable code being posted here, often without the input of team members.

While it is true that they have the IOSU kernel exploit implemented and booting iosuhax + redNAND does work, it's also not ready for public release. At all. If you've tried to use the NAND dumper that was (annoyingly) linked in my private guide that was posted in places, you'll find that it's a hacked together mess of iosuhax code that barely functions. From what I remember, it's just gutted iosuhax patches set up to jump directly to the dumper code. This doesn't work well, considering one tester took 17 attempts before they got a successful result.

From there, you have iosuhax itself. Booting a redNAND is pretty stable, but it's completely and utterly useless right now - until someone comes along and hacks together a solution for installing titles. What you then get is a fragmented community, think A9LH vs menuhax. SALT's solution is ridiculously more elegant than this, with actual tools designed specifically for this, and doesn't use butchered code from someone's project designed for their own test use. If someone does manage title install before SALT releases, what you can expect is people asking "why should I use this? what I have works fine!" when they're using duct-tape code on an area of the system that could brick you without any chance of recovery.

The redNAND implementation itself is also pretty bad. It wastes almost 10GB on an SD, writes in raw sectors, and doesn't compress the image at all. You'll only get 22GB of usable space on 64GB+ SDs. smea used hardcoded offsets, which works fine for him. It's not intended for people to be using wide-scale.

I hope something here helps you to understand why SALT is spending so much time on their tools, and why you should avoid anything to do with smea's iosuhax on your console. SALT truly knows what they're doing with this stuff, and they've been working on it for a long time with their own code, not some guy's personal stuff that kinda works. I'm not trying to say that open development is bad, far from it. But it's been mishandled and allowed bad code to be released without any input. So please -

Wait for a real release.
Yay my boy has it right!

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'm going to get bashed for this but...

I think everybody knows the code is unstable and dangerous to implement, as well as there is no real practical purpose for the end user.

Still, it's nice to see something publicly released and open sourced.

I'm sure team SALT'S final product will be a quality release and most likely the standard everyone will go by.

However, it doesn't have to mean their way has to be the only way or necessarily even the best way. We'll never know if only a handful of devs are made privy to the information and are allowed to work on it. This above all is the elitism that has to be done away with in the scene.

I'm not saying that team SALT are elitists, but rather the idea that they're the only ones who should be allowed to work on it is. I'd be willing to bet that even they got help somewhere along the line. What if fail0verflow never shared their work?

The information should be shared and people should be encouraged to work on this, knowing the risks.

Inner circles and suppressed information is how you end up with things like reDRM, tb dongles and flash carts. I know, I've seen it in the PS3 scene.

I'm not saying that some level of secrecy and privacy is a bad thing, when it comes to these matters, but freedom of information is where it's at.

We've been told to wait since 2012. Remember the four horseman vapor ware? I think the scene overall has shown good patience. I'll keep waiting.

Suiginou

(null)
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Look at the 3DS scene. It's doing just fine. The Wii U scene's fucking suffered enough, the "real release" is a fucking pipe dream. Wake up, sheeple.

Let people develop what they want, make this an open platform and not another "wait for the real release" clusterfuck like the Wii. We still don't even have code to BootMii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte