Hacking A different type of Gamecube banner...

• Thread starter PJM
  • Start date
  • Views 11,296
  • Replies 31
  • Likes 6

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
my heart is broken :(
Nah! don't be ...good ideas come in pairs ;)

You can do you project based on FIX94, do a completely parallel thing, or actually put your hand on both (that would be cool actually)
I like both approaches, and you could give option to people here by taking a look on both if you want? Here is how I see it:
Your banner mimics more the VC channel ...that's good for people wanting that uniformity, with GC games showing like that:
080910.jpg

FIX94 ones are more like "inspired" by VC. They have a little twist to them, and I kinda think that the blue tones he picked are more pleasing than the purples (he also did a purple variation on that same thread too)
GRAP75-006.jpg
Two approaches I guess ...if you could also modify FIX94 's so we can have more banners on that style, when also doing your own, that would be interesting to me at least (he probably wouldn't mind after you ask :P )

PJM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hmm... maybe I can add some more color to mine, I like FIX94's banners - so much color! But I feel that the Gamecube theme should stick to purple, it's the color of my Gamecube, the color of the logo, and when I think of a theme for the Gamecube, the black and purple bios animation immediately comes to mind. What about something like this:

qfYJ3IP.png

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What about something like this
Cool ..that's interesting ..but something that I can't say only by the image (maybe you can say by what you've seen when it was on your TV) is if the Font weight is too thin or not (from the "Released, players, gamecube") they seems a bit thin.

Other things will pretty much come to personal preference. In my case, for ex., I preference a the blue version cause I think is lighter on the eyes, more appealing, has some good contrast between tones, even a bit of a retro vibe, etc (and cause I like the blue GC too).
Look at them ...they are iconic too! Especially the blue/clear controller :P
gamecube02.jpg

[/spoler]

PJM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cool ..that's interesting ..but something that I can't say only by the image (maybe you can say by what you've seen when it was on your TV) is if the Font weight is too thin or not (from the "Released, players, gamecube") they seems a bit thin.

Other things will pretty much come to personal preference. In my case, for ex., I preference a the blue version cause I think is lighter on the eyes, more appealing, has some good contrast between tones, even a bit of a retro vibe, etc (and cause I like the blue GC too).
Look at them ...they are iconic too! Especially the blue/clear controller :P
gamecube02.jpg

You are right and I fixed the text issue, a small oversight on my part. I'm working on a new blue theme now, thanks for your input. I'm just a little lost on how the colors should go... should the gradient on the background go from grey to blue, blue to light blue, or blue to dark blue? And what about the scrolling logos? Maybe I'll just make some mockups...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I like the look of your banners.

I didn't create the banner used by USBLoaderGX to display Gamecube Icons, but I'm pretty sure it can be done automatically/interactively by the Loader.
Instead of loading the tiny Game's icon, it could load another banner animation?
You would only need to create the inner's animation (the banner itself), all the outside banner's animation and game+dev information would be done automatically by USBLoaderGX).

Or is it a picture? If the centered area is only a picture, that would be very easy to do. in the result, you would only have to put .png in the cache banner folder and it will be used instead of the bnr.
You will only have to create pictures for all games. it's easier than creating a banner per game.

If you know how to create banners (which I never learn), maybe you could edit USBLoaderGX's official Gamecube banner to support external picture if found instead of internal gamecube's icon?.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Instead of loading the tiny Game's icon, it could load another banner animation?
You would only need to create the inner's animation (the banner itself), all the outside banner's animation and game+dev information would be done automatically by USBLoaderGX).
Or is it a picture?
That's actually a picture ...but could that inner's image be a animated thing really? ...That's kinda cool. I would even help with that part if PJM would be interested in doing a animated version of his banners.
Something like that would work like a Channel animation (with a simple animation showing before you clicked the channel, and a little bigger one shown when you click on it) ?
And the animation would loop, or play only once with the last frame staying persistent ?

Um ...actually I've seen channels that keep the inner animation looping ...don't know what could be the case for a USBLoaderGX banner.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For the animated inner area, it's only assumption. I never checked how the banners are working.
But a single picture it's possible as it's already working like that with gamecube icons.

The animation loop is an information inside the banner, USBGX already let you choose if you want a single pass or loop (original).
The word is not the best in english GUI, "loop" is in fact "default, as specified in the banner". some banners don't have loop defined, so putting loop won't change it.
I will probably fix few menu names later.

jacksonf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mmilky Hey, are you the author of those channels on the video? If so, and you're willing, is there anyway for you to share them?

I would like to know if @PJM finished his banners too. Any of them will do.

Last edited by jacksonf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool