Gaming 999: Anyone else love this game as much as I do...?

endoverend

AKA zooksman
OP
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD
I've never been so quickly thrown into and sucked into a game before in my life.​
You start off waking up in a room with amnesia. Scary enough? Nah. The room starts filling with water, and you have to escape. Then... the next part is a little boring, with tons of tutorials. But that's okay, cause it's worth it to get through them.​
Once you escape the water-filled basement, you find a grand hall. And people come pouring into it. WEIRD people. I have to admit, I had my doubts about this game when I saw a lady who looks like a stripper and a blind guy along with 6 other weirdos. Confused? Not for long. The whole premise of the game is explained to you right there and then. You even get to decide how the game is played according to the in-game narrator at one point, which literally changes a huge part of the game.​
And never in my life has a game made me feel so awkward. These characters were crazy, and you have no idea where the game is going to take you in these conversations. But then it surprises you, for the first time out of many.​
You know that weird, silent guy you noticed? Yep, he's insane. The game rips you out of these weird character descriptions with a guy holding a knife to a girl's neck. He forces the people he wants to help him play the game how he wants, or he'll kill the girl (NINTENDO SYSTEM FOLKS). And guess what. The guy dies after he goes through the door. He EXPLODES. WITH A LOT OF GORE.​
That was all just the beginning. Whenever you think you've figured out a pattern in this game, it throws you off the trail completely. It forces you to make decisions that aren't pointless. If you play through the game more than once like you're supposed to (there's a reason it's so short) you'll realize that the decisions change the story entirely.​
The first ending I got was the axe ending. Never have I seen things spiral out of control so quickly in a game. And you die in the end. Your character dies and it shocks you. A lot.​
I haven't even gotten around to playing the sequel yet, and I'm sure it's just as good. Now hurry up and disagree with me on this entire post.​

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Spike isn't giving any money to the developers because the Zero Escape series isn't a huge success. The games have bombed everywhere sadly.
The developers aren't getting any money not because the game is bombing everywhere, but because the game is bombing in Japan. All things considered, the Zero Escape series has sold ridiculously well for a VN series in the west. It's failure in Japan though means the Japanese developers aren't getting the money they need to first develop it in, you guessed it, Japan.

Also, may I just say how much it sucks to be left on a potentially permanent cliffhanger.

Charli

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just played it recently an it easily became one of my favorite DS titles! It has a great and very well crafted story.
I guess one has to be kind of patient and persistent to play it completely through though. But it really pays off in my opinion.

It was really fun figuring out what's actually going on just to be thrown completely off track again and again as the story unfolds during the multiple playthroughs.
I'm actually thinking about getting a 3DS or 2DS now just to be able to play the sequel.

If you've finished the game with all endings I can recommend the answers section on 999's official website:
http://aksysgames.com/999/answers

The author gives some further insights on the story there.

Overall, it was a fun game, but it's more of a visual novel than a game, and it doesn't have a complete ending.
Uh, I was quite satisfied with the ending. But you have to find the real ending, otherwise you haven't really finished the game.
If you've played through all endings, why do you think it's incomplete?

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
No game before this had me so engrossed. I first tried it with a flashcart and was so satisfied that I bought one immediately (first print too, the one with the nice cover). Definitively would rank it in my top 5 favorite games.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
OP
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I would start a petition for Zero Escape 3, but I'm sure there already is one.

EDIT: I found one!! Please sign it and use the links in the post above me to support the devs. I want Zero Escape 3 to happen, and so should you. the petition will not likely help, but hey, you never know. There's also a Reddit fan project, but Reddit sucks, so i won't post a link.

http://www.petitions24.com/show_your_support_to_zero_escape_3

iamKHEEMchi

Flynn Rider's Ichiban
Trophies
XP
Country
I like this game but too bad it's not getting a third game for this. XD I kinda enjoyed the thrill and excitement when solving some mysteries while panicking because of the time. XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.