Hacking 9.3.0-21 Nintendo 3DS Update Released

xantoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
why does everyone read that statement as if gateway with all its functions is magically going to work on 8.0-8.1 Have you even read the statement they made

Support for 9.0-9.2, we knew this was coming
Did not update in this range = meaning updating console to 9.0 - 9.2 range is now impossible because if you were to update SysNand it would load 9.3
which is what they said.. if you are above 4.5 update to that range. if you have not done so you might be screwed..
firmware range lower then 9.0 meaning everything that is lower then 9.0 its a RANGE of firmware.
Which, is referring to firmware in the 9.0-9.2 range
Gamecard update, this does not say Gateway card update. no its gamecard update. meaning a sysnand update present on a gamecard that has to be installed before a game can be played, and does not require an internet connection

Speculation, a (Yellow) card, akin to Sky3DS that emulates a real card, meaning it can run off any firmware. Comes in 3 versions EU/US/JPN becasue card emulation is not region free. that contains a (custom) firmware upgrade on it that when installed gets you sytem from anything lower then 9.0 to 9.0-9.2
I read which as referring to the "firmware range lower than 9.0" which might be any unspecified firmware range in the range (4.5, 9.0) ((or [1.0, 9.0) if one wants to be literal for literalness sake, geez))

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
why does everyone read that statement as if gateway with all its functions is magically going to work on 8.0-8.1 Have you even read the statement they made

Support for 9.0-9.2, we knew this was coming
Did not update in this range = meaning updating console to 9.0 - 9.2 range is now impossible because if you were to update SysNand it would load 9.3
which is what they said.. if you are above 4.5 update to that range. if you have not done so you might be screwed..
firmware range lower then 9.0 meaning everything that is lower then 9.0 its a RANGE of firmware.
Which, is referring to firmware in the 9.0-9.2 range
Gamecard update, this does not say Gateway card update. no its gamecard update. meaning a sysnand update present on a gamecard that has to be installed before a game can be played, and does not require an internet connection

Speculation, a (Yellow) card, akin to Sky3DS that emulates a real card, meaning it can run off any firmware. Comes in 3 versions EU/US/JPN becasue card emulation is not region free. that contains a (custom) firmware upgrade on it that when installed gets you sytem from anything lower then 9.0 to 9.0-9.2
i think your reading into it too much....they have a exploit that works on 9.0-9.2....that exploit was blocked alongside ssspwn....leading to the assumption that the exploit is somewhat similar and would more than likely have the same range of existence(depending upon their entry point.......so i would say it would be fairly likely gateway could port their 9.0-9.2 exploit to another FW if they choose, they just chose 9.0-9.2 initially as there was no reason to even consider making a increased workload by supporting like 20 different FW revision

xantoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i think your reading into it too much....they have a exploit that works on 9.0-9.2....that exploit was blocked alongside ssspwn....leading to the assumption that the exploit is somewhat similar and would more than likely have the same range of existence(depending upon their entry point.......so i would say it would be fairly likely gateway could port their 9.0-9.2 exploit to another FW if they choose, they just chose 9.0-9.2 initially as there was no reason to even consider making a increased workload by supporting like 20 different FW revision
Assuming nintendo cannot possibly block two different exploits in the same firmware update.

(Ok I am being picky now)

TheDutchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
allright, but why dont they just outright say they are working on supporting firmware 8.0, instead of using this confusing wording

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So I just updated my gateway firmware to this newest firmware and nothing works....wish I saw the bloody notice on their website before updating, /sigh.

What do I do? What's the best way to fix this? My real firmware is still on 4.5

How come people who don't know how to recover emunand are usually the first ones to go - oh a new update for my hacked console let's install it before checking online if it's safe.
After all what could go wrong ? It's not like it ever went wrong right? I'm just amazed given how often these warning appear people still end up doing it.

anyway if you got backed up emunand before updating (i'm guessing you didn't) then restore it, if you didn't well time to make a new emunand i'm guessing you're gonna lose some streetpass saves etc.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
How come people who don't know how to recover emunand are usually the first ones to go - oh a new update for my hacked console let's install it before checking online if it's safe.
After all what could go wrong ? It's not like it ever went wrong right? I'm just amazed given how often these warning appear people still end up doing it.

anyway if you got backed up emunand before updating (i'm guessing you didn't) then restore it, if you didn't well time to make a new emunand i'm guessing you're gonna lose some streetpass saves etc.
well you can update emunand via a rom too....so people can at least get back to 8.1, by holding up when booting into gateway mode

OllieD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well you can update emunand via a rom too....so people can at least get back to 8.1, by holding up when booting into gateway mode

I did this with the latest Adventure Time game last night to get my emunand to 8.1.
I got caught out on the night of the 9.3 release, everywhere i checked still said 9.2 but upon updating i just got 2 black screens. (I am purely presuming i caught 9.3 due to the black screens)

Annoyed that i missed 9.2 as i was hoping to use some themes for my son.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"
  • Users can now capture screenshots with both the upper and lower screens included"
This can also be done in games? How is it done? Does it save on the SD card or something?
Or is it just the same as going to Miiverse and post it but then it shows the lower screen aswell?

naughty snivy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
"
  • Users can now capture screenshots with both the upper and lower screens included"
This can also be done in games? How is it done? Does it save on the SD card or something?

Or is it just the same as going to Miiverse and post it but then it shows the lower screen aswell?

Both screens, and it saves in your sd cards so you can upload it with nintendo photo sharing. Also, only the home menu.

jajhohner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
THIS! THIS!!

Why the fock do I need to picture my home? I want to screenshot GAMES lol.

You don't. They just want to make it sound like people who updated their system got something in the update, without bringing the system's vulnerability to the people who don't know much about pirating and such (younger kids I imagine).

Plus there's always the chance people who own a GW card don't really know what you can or can't do, and might have upgraded because they thought they could. Probably only a handful of such people, but they still exist.

So back to my earlier Q. I have the update ready to install. I can just press no forever and I won't have any problems right? I have a backup of my emunand but it requires soldering, correct?

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You don't. They just want to make it sound like people who updated their system got something in the update, without bringing the system's vulnerability to the people who don't know much about pirating and such (younger kids I imagine).

It is actually a marketing move. They brought themes along with this update (9.0). So with the screenshot feature, people can brag about their new theme over the web, putting the desire on their friends of buying themes for themselves.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So back to my earlier Q. I have the update ready to install. I can just press no forever and I won't have any problems right? I have a backup of my emunand but it requires soldering, correct?
Yes, just press "No" to the prompt and you will be fine.
Yes, you need soldering to restore a NAND backup.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Gateway said Gamecard update.. Not Gateway update. I believe this one is black and white... They've got something to get you to where you need to be.

Full quote: We will add support for a firmware range lower than 9.0 which can be installed using a gamecard update.

To make it more clear: support for a firmware range lower than 9.0. Such firmware currently can be installed using a gamecard update.

Reactions: Kioku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: might look for one on yt