Hacking 9.3.0-21 Nintendo 3DS Update Released

ogopogo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Relatively new to 3DS and I'm just wondering how long it usually takes for Gatway to update their launcher for Emunand support on a new firmware? Hoping it's soon because Final Fantasy Explorers going to be release in less than a week and I'm dying to try Bravely Second's demo too...

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Relatively new to 3DS and I'm just wondering how long it usually takes for Gatway to update their launcher for Emunand support on a new firmware? Hoping it's soon because Final Fantasy Explorers going to be release in less than a week and I'm dying to try Bravely Second's demo too...
Lately they have been pretty fast. Last time it took less than a day.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
I know, what gets me is that I paid a more expensive price under the impression I'd get it soon. I guess Amazon 2-day prime has spoiled me :|. I know it's just going to sit here, but I'm leaving the country for a few weeks soon, and I'd rather get it now than have it potentially delayed and be unable to order it till after I come back to the country.

sucks man, I know what you mean. Amazon orders get to me within a day if I order at the correct time. I order from china a lot as well, and kind of like the feeling of anticipation before disappointment while I check the mail.

digipokemaster

Innocent Uke
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn, you got a 3DS factory over there or what? :rofl2: . Guess it's not the same as a N3ds though.

no i wish i did and it not but it will do until gw can get pass 9.3 ( i have faith in them ) i just save bits of money to buy them plus i did sell my 3ds ( the one before the 3ds LL na ) to my brothers for $250 ( though that included games and accessorizes too) i had about 4 game with it so they got a good deal and that money paid from my first JPN 3ds LL

mightywii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NinjaHax, Sky3DS, and Gateway all chain exploits to achieve their goal. Sky3DS does not emulate a cart, magically or otherwise. It's very likely only one exploit was burned by 9.3.0-21, one used by both NinjaHax and Gateway. Nintendo was trying to block NinjaHax, Gateway 9.x hasn't been released publicly yet, Nintendo had no way of knowing that Gateway would be effected. This blocked exploit was not in itself a kernel mode exploit, just a "link in the chain" (NinjaHax does not achieve kernel mode code execution).

I don't want to speculate on Sky3DS's security, it's probably very difficult to reverse engineer. I also can't say for sure if Sky3DS and Gateway use the same kernel mode exploit, though it would be absolute lunacy for Gateway to allow two such exploits to get burned at the same time. The Sky3DS kernel mode exploit will almost certainly be patched in the next update(presumably 9.4.0-22), unless there is need for a hotfix. This is a very high priority for Nintendo.

Here's hoping these carts will be eventually reverse engineered and their exploits shared, so NinjaHax users can get full access to the system - rom loaders and all.

satanicangel

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
NinjaHax, Sky3DS, and Gateway all chain exploits to achieve their goal. Sky3DS does not emulate a cart, magically or otherwise. It's very likely only one exploit was burned by 9.3.0-21, one used by both NinjaHax and Gateway. Nintendo was trying to block NinjaHax, Gateway 9.x hasn't been released publicly yet, Nintendo had no way of knowing that Gateway would be effected. This blocked exploit was not in itself a kernel mode exploit, just a "link in the chain" (NinjaHax does not achieve kernel mode code execution).

I don't want to speculate on Sky3DS's security, it's probably very difficult to reverse engineer. I also can't say for sure if Sky3DS and Gateway use the same kernel mode exploit, though it would be absolute lunacy for Gateway to allow two such exploits to get burned at the same time. The Sky3DS kernel mode exploit will almost certainly be patched in the next update(presumably 9.4.0-22), unless there is need for a hotfix. This is a very high priority for Nintendo.

Here's hoping these carts will be eventually reverse engineered and their exploits shared, so NinjaHax users can get full access to the system - rom loaders and all.
All in all, you hope that you do not need to pay Gateway or Sky3DS to pirate. Well I certainly hope so too, but am a little bit scared that no support will be given out anymore if it somehow get patched.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada

Well, you're forgetting nintendo may have struck gold and found the GW exploit themselves. but yeah, you're probably correct.

though it would be absolute lunacy for Gateway to allow two such exploits to get burned at the same time
unless they were worried Sky was using the same update, so they rushed to tell us to hold. Better to play it safe and release early, than to tell everyone when it's too late.

Here's hoping these carts will be eventually reverse engineered and their exploits shared, so NinjaHax users can get full access to the system - rom loaders and all.​
true that!

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
It could be akin to Smea's. Whatever door Gateway was using, Smea was using it too, that much is conclusive.

Remember what everyone Thirty3Three preached before? That Nintendo couldn't block Gateway's new update because they didn't know of it's existance?

Well .. This sort of goes in line with what they said earlier (Gateway)

Asking for this COULD be correlated now to them knowing Smea's exploit would be blocked sooner or later.

The fact that this newspiece was released after Smea's exploit also fortifies this theory.

What are you talking about? Gateway's 4.5 exploit was patched BEFORE Gateway cart was even released. Just like now. Read 3dbrew page on flaws: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_System_Flaws

There's plenty there; and i can tell you as a fact Cubic Ninja isn't the only entry point. Maybe they shared other methods with GW, but smea's chain of exploits stops short of full kernel access to both CPU's (maybe deliberately but who knows). Gateway needs full access. So they differ. And Nintendo doesn't need GW to release to find a flaw, just the hint that GW gave out is enough for them to start hunting down in 9.x mistakes they've made.

mightywii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All in all, you hope that you do not need to pay Gateway or Sky3DS to pirate. Well I certainly hope so too, but am a little bit scared that no support will be given out anymore if it somehow get patched.
Sure, but it will take quite a while to get to that point, even under the best conditions. Gateway is what pirates want. They have lots of experience, unique hacks (specifically emuNAND, if they get it working), and lots of money to throw at further support.

There's plenty there; and i can tell you as a fact Cubic Ninja isn't the only entry point. Maybe they shared other methods with GW, but smea's chain of exploits stops short of full kernel access to both CPU's (maybe deliberately but who knows). Gateway needs full access. So they differ. And Nintendo doesn't need GW to release to find a flaw, just the hint that GW gave out is enough for them to start hunting down in 9.x mistakes they've made.
NinjaHax and Gateway using the same flaw is the only thing that makes much sense given the timetable. Updates go through a Q/A process that takes a while and the update is frozen while it's in testing. There was just not enough time to do a blind audit (and the effected code was at least good enough to make through the review process and get used in firmware in the first place).

darkraider2009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Screenshot_2014-12-11-08-16-36-962.png

9LlmwGlJQq21J15dwCscJx2CVdPZ1FzZrlLJeB6v3YE

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: You would think, esp using bluetooth, not GPS, like a "your getting hot-er" meter on your phone.