Hacking 9.3.0-21 Nintendo 3DS Update Released

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well the question is can 3ds download an update even if you have set the spotpass off? Which says in description that if enabled automatically downloads software and if disabled it doesn't automatically download software.
Has actually anyone had his 3ds automatically download an update while he had spotpass setting disabled?
Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I don't trust Nintendo's word since "Software" can mean anything from demos to updates.

D

Deleted-355425

Your order from 365games.co.uk has been dispatched and will be with you shortly! B-)
Yay! You are going to love it, the Internet switch is now on the top left of the screen, press the box and scroll down to wireless off :)

Reactions: satel

xantoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah but you should either choose to assume or go exactly to their word....a obvious and most logical assumption would be 8.1.....i mean anything else is going to create a pointless gap of incompatibility....and going exactly to their word without assumptions is anything from 1.0-8.1

While claiming this to be most logical you are making a few logical fallacies...
The most obvious being "black-and-white". You cannot say "if we have one assumption we must permit all".

There would still be some use in supporting a non-8.1 firmware for people with old 3DS's that are above 4.5 but currently below 8.1 for instance. It also smells of a somewhat circular argument: anything but 8.1 creates a pointless gap ergo 8.1. Now while the most useful would indeed be 8.1 we must not assume it because it is the best possible outcome, rather we are better being wary of this before playing our cards, perhaps because it is the best possible outcome.

I for one will wait for further announcements before taking the plunge...

jimskeet2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I don't trust Nintendo's word since "Software" can mean anything from demos to updates.
Yeah but I have wifi on since the day I bought my 3ds in 2012 with the spotpass off and it never tried to download anything on its own... So why bother with all the hassle of turning off the wifi or add block via router etc?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
While claiming this to be most logical you are making a few logical fallacies...
The most obvious being "black-and-white". You cannot say "if we have one assumption we must permit all".

There would still be some use in supporting a non-8.1 firmware for people with old 3DS's that are above 4.5 but currently below 8.1 for instance. It also smells of a somewhat circular argument: anything but 8.1 creates a pointless gap ergo 8.1. Now while the most useful would indeed be 8.1 we must not assume it because it is the best possible outcome, rather we are better being wary of this before playing our cards, perhaps because it is the best possible outcome.

I for one will wait for further announcements before taking the plunge...
yeah im not saying to go update to 8.1....im saying its the most likely choice for gateway to choose if they wanted to give 100% compatibility for all pre 9.3 consoles.....8.1 is available on retail cart so anyone on 1.0-7.x, could just update to 8.1.....problem solved everyone that missed the update can update to 8.1.....if they chose say 5.1.....that would be silly as they effectively choose to not support the thousands of consoles stuck between 5.2-8.1, all im saying is choose one or the other, assume stuff or take their announcement 100% literal

xantoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah im not saying to go update to 8.1....im saying its the most likely choice for gateway to choose if they wanted to give 100% compatibility for all pre 9.3 consoles.....8.1 is available on retail cart so anyone on 1.0-7.x, could just update to 8.1.....problem solved everyone that missed the update can update to 8.1.....if they chose say 5.1.....that would be silly as they effectively choose to not support the thousands of consoles stuck between 5.2-8.1, all im saying is choose one or the other, assume stuff or take their announcement 100% literal
You are still making one very big assumption, one that they can simply choose what firmware to find attack vectors in. Attack vectors isn't something you magically create, it is something you find through labourous study. It is somewhat akin to winning on the lottery by finding a needle in a haystack.

If they could just choose they would be announcing 9.3 support right away...

My assumption is based on facts (they already have support for 4.0-4.5, anything lower than 4.0 can upgrade to the range 4.0-4.5 already ergo they have no need whatsoever to even consider anything less than 4.5)

D

Deleted-355425

You are still making one very big assumption, one that they can simply choose what firmware to find attack vectors in. Attack vectors isn't something you magically create, it is something you find through labourous study. It is somewhat akin to winning on the lottery by finding a needle in a haystack.

When he said 8.1 it was a figure of speech.. Not a statement. His point still stands.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

My assumption is based on facts (they already have support for 4.0-4.5, anything lower than 4.0 can upgrade to the range 4.0-4.5 already ergo they have no need whatsoever to even consider anything less than 4.5)
quite simply if the exploit wasnt patched until 9.3....its fairly safe to assume it existed in pretty much all prior firmware since it was introduced........unless your suggesting its an exploit that existed in 4.x-7.x was fixed in 8.1, and then put back into 9.0-9.2

xantoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yet 8.1 is still a candidate among many others. Might be the most likely candidate (I sure hope so) but I believe people here are getting ahead of themselves saying things like "8.1 support has been promised". But this is of course par for the course for gbatemp...

xantoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
quite simply if the exploit wasnt patched until 9.3....its fairly safe to assume it existed in pretty much all prior firmware since it was introduced........unless your suggesting its an exploit that existed in 4.x-7.x was fixed in 8.1, and then put back into 9.0-9.2
It might be a separate exploit altogether. See the problem is we have next to no information to go on... it makes speculation utterly pointless.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It might be a separate exploit altogether. See the problem is we have next to no information to go on... it makes speculation utterly pointless.
people are free to speculate....its like horse racing....your saying stuff like yeah but "3 legged pony may win"...yeah you may be right....maybe a 3 legged pony might win, but if you had to make a bet you would go with the most likely to win, or just not bet at all if you dont like the odd's

personally my bet would be going on it being the same exploit that will also work on 8.1.....feel free to disagree with me, that all good, and im not saying everyone should rush to update to 8.1 because im right.....no i may be wrong....but imho 8.1 will be the odds on favorite to win

xantoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Let's not forget that no New 3DS comes with anything lower than 8.1
They never promised this new range would include New3DS's, only "for users who haven't updated yet in this range".

Ok I guess if you were to interpret that as "forall users in users-who-haven't-updated: we-will-support" it does mean it will support New3DS unless New3DS users aren't considered users. On the other hand they only specified "for" which isn't the same as "for all" thus making the previous a moot point.

I'm confused now :D
See kids. This is what Math and programming will do to you.

Reactions: gamesquest1

xantoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
people are free to speculate....its like horse racing....your saying stuff like yeah but "3 legged pony may win"...yeah you may be right....maybe a 3 legged pony might win, but if you had to make a bet you would go with the most likely to win, or just not bet at all if you dont like the odd's

personally my bet would be going on it being the same exploit that will also work on 8.1.....feel free to disagree with me, that all good, and im not saying everyone should rush to update to 8.1 because im right.....no i may be wrong....but imho 8.1 will be the odds on favorite to win
No I don't disagree with you. 8.1 is very likely. I'm just saying it isn't the only alternative. I'm not saying "a 3 legged pony may win". I'm saying "any pony with a number between 4.5 and 9.0 may win", or just "Maan, any pony may win, fuck do I know?"

TheDutchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
why does everyone read that statement as if gateway with all its functions is magically going to work on 8.0-8.1 Have you even read the statement they made
We plan to move forward with the additional support for sysnand firmware range 9.0 – 9.2.
For users that did not update yet in this range, do not worry. We will add support for a firmware range lower than 9.0 which can be installed using a gamecard update

Support for 9.0-9.2, we knew this was coming
Did not update in this range = meaning updating console to 9.0 - 9.2 range is now impossible because if you were to update SysNand it would load 9.3
which is what they said.. if you are above 4.5 update to that range. if you have not done so you might be screwed..
firmware range lower then 9.0 meaning everything that is lower then 9.0 its a RANGE of firmware.
Which, is referring to firmware in the 9.0-9.2 range
Gamecard update, this does not say Gateway card update. no its gamecard update. meaning a sysnand update present on a gamecard that has to be installed before a game can be played, and does not require an internet connection

Speculation, a (Yellow) card, akin to Sky3DS that emulates a real card, meaning it can run off any firmware. Comes in 3 versions EU/US/JPN becasue card emulation is not region free. that contains a (custom) firmware upgrade on it that when installed gets you sytem from anything lower then 9.0 to 9.0-9.2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    sorabora tempBOT: sorabora has joined the room.