Hacking 5.5.0 progress

ogienma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doesnt seem like this is really happening, time to find a older FW Wii U

I did this - I bought a 5.4.0 console when I already had a 5.5.0 one, with the main goal of using Loadiine. In my experience, it's not worth it - I ended up returning the 5.4.0 console a day later, which killed any hype I had for the 5.5.0 exploit.

Some things I didn't realize before buying 5.4.0:
  • You can't transfer pre-installed software, downloaded purchases, or savegames from the 5.5.0 system without connecting the 5.4.0 console to the eShop and updating it to 5.5.0 as well.
  • The kernel exploit relies on a race condition, i.e. when you launch it, there's a good chance nothing will happen and you will have to launch it several times... and this is every time you want to use Loadiine. I don't know what the IOSU exploit's entrypoint is, but if it's anything like the existing kernel exploit, it will be very frustrating to get it running.
Then I realized that even if I got Loadiine running, there would be nothing to play on it, really. The Wii U library consists of:
  • Games that are not supported on Loadiine v3 (Bayonetta 2)
  • Games with unreasonably long (15m+) Loadiine load times (The Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World)
  • Multiplats that are better on another system (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mass Effect 3)
  • Games where online is the main draw - which Loadiine can't do (Smash, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Mario Maker)
  • Remakes of GC games which you can play on vWii (Wind Waker, Twilight Princess)
  • Straight-up garbage that is not worth your time, even if it's free (Amiibo Festival, Devil's Third, Mario Party 10)
This leaves a handful (less than 5) titles worth playing, some of which I already had discs for - and you might too (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Pikmin 3).

Unless you like to tinker with electronics for the sake of tinkering (and have $200 to spare), it's not worth bothering with lower firmware. Just my two cents.

D

Deleted User

and have $200 to spare
That's probably the most common problem that most users on 5.5 (like me) have... I usually have to sell some of my consoles (and wait until my birthday and Christmas for lots of money ;)) in order to get lower FW consoles. :(

I did used to be on 5.3.2, but I was so desperate to play Splatoon again, and I wasn't aware that the kernel exploit was just around the corner™. At the same time, my vWii was preventing me from updating (thank god?), so that stopped me from updating to play Splatoon... but then I managed to unbrick vWii and update to 5.4.0. :/

......and then kernel arrived after a few days. :glare:

After that happened, I was really pissed off. Then 5.5 released and I wasn't aware that 5.4.0 had the same kernel addresses as 5.3.2. :(
So, with my doubts of a 5.4 kexploit, I updated to 5.5.0, loadiine for 5.4 arrived the next month, and here I am still stuck with the 5.5.0 Wii U... :rofl2:

And to think this might cost me an extra £200 if kernel/IOSU doesn't arrive by the end of March...

Reactions: LoganK93

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i just really wana play smash online, that's the only reason, otherwise i would be fine waiting.

Either way i guess i'll wait it out.

D

Deleted User

kekek. ;)

2016-01-26-192620.jpg

Just playing around with color scales. :P
I wonder if I could actually make it produce all the possible colors in this one square?

Reactions: josamilu
D

Deleted User

Heh, well I managed to get a Cyan -> Red color spectrum working. :ha:

2016-01-26-203555.jpg

Perhaps I could make a color picker homebrew, and it could tell you the properties of the color you picked! :D
Or maybe this could be implemented into U-Paint somehow.

D

Deleted User

Yes, sadly... We really need a GX2 Tutorial. @dimok is our man.
Yeah, those GX2 examples in libwiiu aren't very good... :(
(although I kinda did like the fading screen one)

We could do with an example where you can load a PNG from memory, just like you can with sf2dlib for the 3DS and vita2dlib for the Vita. :)

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, those GX2 examples in libwiiu aren't very good... :(
(although I kinda did like the fading screen one)

We could do with an example where you can load a PNG from memory, just like you can with sf2dlib for the 3DS and vita2dlib for the Vita. :)

Yes it could be great ... And 3D Lighting things, shaders... GX2 seems very interesting :P

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Yes it could be great ... And 3D Lighting things, shaders... GX2 seems very interesting :P
I second this! ;)

I find it interesting how dimok managed to make 3D glass edges for the icons. I would like to try that out!

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I second this! ;)

I find it interesting how dimok managed to make 3D glass edges for the icons. I would like to try that out!

And the grid that have a mirror effect like in the Mii Plaza (And the same for the icons) WHY DID HE USES C PLUS PLUS DAMN FUCK this language seems like C + PHP Syntax

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Does the Wii U Internet Browser have the permission to use GX2 ?

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Eh... C++ is just an extension of C. You don't have to learn much more... :P

Well yeah, the app itself uses GX2 for the UI, doesn't it?

I know but these double double dots (Main::callSysExit() for example , iknow it's the same that with a -> like in php) but i can't i don't know why xD

D

Deleted User

I know but these double double dots (Main::callSysExit() for example , iknow it's the same that with a -> like in php) but i can't i don't know why xD
So that's what they are. xD I actually didn't know that.

D

Deleted User

Yes it's for call a function that is in another Class or Instance (i don't remember)
I've never actually put "->" to use other than for drawing strings with __os_snprintf, but I tend to use drawString nowadays, and only use __os_snprintf for whenever I want to print variables...

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've never actually put "->" to use other than for drawing strings with __os_snprintf, but I tend to use drawString nowadays, and only use __os_snprintf for whenever I want to print variables...

The only time i used -> in my dev life is while i was devellopping some plugins for Minecraft PE Servers (That works in PHP) But nobody cares x)
I think dimok should uses -> instead of ::

D

Deleted User

The only time i used -> in my dev life is while i was devellopping some plugins for Minecraft PE Servers (That works in PHP) But nobody cares x)
I think dimok should uses -> instead of ::
I've never really seen a good reason to use C++ instead of C. I and many others are probably used to plain C too much. x/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system