Hardware 3DSXL vs. New 2DSXL?

Happy_Chappie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi, I am planning to buy a Nintendo handheld for some time. My current budget can get me either a second-hand 3DSXL or a new 2DSXL. I have never tried any of these models before and would love to hear your opinions regarding these two models. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: E1ite007

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
3DS XL = 3D and larger screens, no "New" capabilities.
New 2DS XL = Larger screens and "New" capabilites, no 3D.

I personally don't like the 3DS XL model 'cause it feels kinda cheap regardin' build quality compared to the other ones, The New 2DS XL was the first "New" system I got, but I like better my New 3DS nowadays, I just like the smaller size.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

legoinventeor

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Most people would just say to get the new 2ds because the 3d feature isn't as important as the 'new' capabilities on the n2dsxL.

What I would get is the small new 3ds, it's got both things, and from trying pretty much all 3ds models it's the most solid to me. I even think it's a little cheaper than the n2dsxl.

The only thing you would be giving up is the screen size, though the 240p resolution on the smaller screen looks crisper to me.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My personal opinion:
  • New 3DS and New 3DS XL are the best models. Good repairability. (The non-XL variant is less common so it is harder to find spare parts). Build quality feels good. Super stable 3D is a huge improvement over the older models. I really like the 3D function. Many consider 3D to be a gimmick. Maybe it is. But it is fun (for me) and video game consoles are about having fun.
  • Old 3DS and Old 3DS XL have a pretty good repairability as well. The weak processor is too slow for some emulation tasks. 3D is not as good as on the new series.
    • Because of their age some of the older consoles – if used a lot – may start now having ribbon cable issues which requires a pretty hard repair.
  • Old 2DS is very solid (no folding style – reminds me of the Game Boy series). If the LCD unit (one part for both screens) breaks it may not be economically wise to repair the console. It is the budget variant and this is noticeable (shoulder buttons require soldering, only one speaker, bad dpad). Because it is no clamshell design the thing is quite large and unhandy on the go.
  • The New 2DS XL is lightweight (which many people like) but FRAGILE. The quality is nowhere near to the new 3DS(XL) and repairing is a lot harder (shoulder buttons require soldering). Good luck if the upper screen breaks! The fact that the weak speakers squeak into the player's hands is a little awkward. I would recommend the N3DSXL even if a person dislikes 3D.
XL vs. non-XL: Ten years ago I would have agreed with @legoinventeor : "At that low resolution the smaller ones look better."
Today I have to say: "We all don't get younger and the bigger screens are more comfortable to my eyes."

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night