ROM Hack 3DSMovie converter

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BTW: Can you give me a hint on how to make a progress bar like the one you made? I don't get it how you can ask ffmpeg how many percent the video is converted. :glare:

You can have ffmepg output to a temporary text file, and read from that file how much of the video is converted (in seconds). You can get the full length by running "ffmpeg -i input.avi" or whatever, and again output to temp file and read. Then just divide the amount converted by full length and multiply by 100 to get a percentage ;) (There may be another way to do this in whatever language you use, e.g. reading the output from ffmpeg into a variable, but this is how it is done in 3DS Video)

NekuSoul

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@SifJar:
OK, will try to do this without writing to disk by reading from the console window, but anyway it's a really stupid way.
(BTW: I'm using a pretty similar way too) ;)

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
it uses ffmpeg once the video is selected to try to detect the video length, this could be done at convert time, but I never thought of it. I'm not using a txt file, just running ffmpeg and outputing the console window to a text box (hidden) and parsing the information from there.
the sample option will only convert the first 20 seconds, this will help you check your settings without waiting ages to convert, the safe-zone option will set the height to 176 (i think) so that when you view the video on the 3ds in preview mode, not the editor, it does not overlap the on-screen information that spoils the 3d effect.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
it uses ffmpeg once the video is selected to try to detect the video length, this could be done at convert time, but I never thought of it. I'm not using a txt file, just running ffmpeg and outputing the console window to a text box (hidden) and parsing the information from there.
the sample option will only convert the first 20 seconds, this will help you check your settings without waiting ages to convert, the safe-zone option will set the height to 176 (i think) so that when you view the video on the 3ds in preview mode, not the editor, it does not overlap the on-screen information that spoils the 3d effect.
Thanks. I suppose that OSD (on-screen display) is kinda off-putting when it cuts through the video like that.......... oh yeah, it may not be much, but will you also implement like, a settings.cfg file so that settings (and directories) get saved?

so yeah, that's all i guess. i still think a short, informal readme isn't such a bad idea (or tool-tips in the GUI, so you just hover and then you know what that option does). nothing fancy, just a quick rundown of what you can do with the program.

EDIT: Time Taken and Time Remaining is frozen at 00:00:00, just so you know... and the conversion is pretty scary. right now i'm guessing the progress is at roughly 25% for the left channel, using a 4GB source, and the size is up to 5GB now. that's one channel, the left. at 25%. will the right channel bloat to as much? so, i expect around 40GB for both channels (20GB per channel) plus the final output video. you'll need an incredible amount of working space just to convert, around x10 of the source file size, at least.

ahaha, i shudder at the thought of BluRay conversions.

EDIT2: oh yeah, Sample takes only the first 20 seconds, right? well, the thing is, with movies, most often than not the first few minutes are filled with non-relevant images: title cards, logos, black screens, credits, that sort of thing. how about sample 20 seconds say, 5 minutes into the video? that way, the converter will surely pick up images from the movie/video. just a suggestion.

and an abort button. i... had to stop conversion. my drives are full, and i can't make any more spaces, at least, not right now. so i'll need to free up around 60-80GB from my hard drives, just to be able to accommodate a 4GB conversion. true, not your average conversion, but the inflation is just ridiculous. XD

EDIT3: i just found out that the brunt of the inflation occurs only for the left channel. as expected, it grew to 20GB, but the right channel so far is only up to 3.2GB.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
i take the assumption that the left and right channel is different in size-- i made around 40GB+ free space, and the entire conversion still consumed all of that up and some more. 4GB at 1 Quality and Stereo 22kHz converts to around almost 20GB per channel. that's BEFORE any multiplexing/muxing/converging happens.

i'm afraid the process just takes too much space for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries