Hardware 3DS With Dual Slide Pads

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would actually love the 3rd mock-up. I mean, it's a handheld, so I'd expect to be using the D-Pad a lot more than the on the 360.
alunral said:
machomuu said:
alunral said:
I still fail to see WHY we need a second slidepad. It's not a nessesity
You just answered your own failure of sight, it's exactly that.

Let me continue that sentence then. It's not a necessity in games. At all. I don't get why people keep bitching about one. At least for the 3DS, anyway.
Not yet, anyway. Only one game has even referenced it, and that was MHTG, so it's to be expected. Besides, neither is the 3D and it's the main draw of the system.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
I would actually love the 3rd mock-up. I mean, it's a handheld, so I'd expect to be using the D-Pad a lot more than the on the 360.
alunral said:
machomuu said:
alunral said:

Let me continue that sentence then. It's not a necessity in games. At all. I don't get why people keep bitching about one. At least for the 3DS, anyway.
Not yet, anyway. Only one game has even referenced it, and that was MHTG, so it's to be expected. Besides, neither is the 3D and it's the main draw of the system.
Why bring that topic/thing in this? How 'bout this? Buttons, dpad, motion, and etc , expect touch screen(see wat i did thar?) isn't necessary.

tpi.gif

I think 3D is more of a necessary / more wanted feature than a analogy stick.

3D value it mach higher.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
machomuu said:
alunral said:
machomuu said:
alunral said:

Why bring that topic/thing in this? How 'bout this? Buttons, dpad, motion, and etc , expect touch screen(see wat i did thar?) isn't necessary.

tpi.gif
Because they are (except the motion). You clearly missed the point of why I brought up 3D.

EDIT: and so as not to bloat the thread, I'll tell you. It was because they said the second analog stick isn't needed, and thus the 3D was just to support my point.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, the 2nd analog is useless. Is everyone forgetting the touch screen? For instance, remember Metroid Prime Hunters? That worked with 0 analog sticks, and a touch screen. and It worked amazingly.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
Honestly, the 2nd analog is useless. Is everyone forgetting the touch screen? For instance, remember Metroid Prime Hunters? That worked with 0 analog sticks, and a touch screen. and It worked amazingly.
God, I hated the aiming in that. I tried as long as I could, and then after trying several other games deemed it annoying to aim with the touch screen.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I remember before Nintendo announces this people were like omg touch screen no good in control...

Now, second analog useless? (not aiming at anyone) and everyone is blaming and saying 'I'd rather wait for a redesign'.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
beenii said:
found this on another forum. Thats exactly what i want...
340x.jpg
A bit too far down to be comfortably used in my opinion. The D-Pad now is a bit far down but since you don't need it much it doesn't matter.
It seems like the slide pad would be more annoying to have far down though because you have to actually move your thumb where with the D-pad you can just wiggle it around. At the downward most position the slide pad would be extra uncomfortable to use if it was below the D-Pad.
Not to mention the slide pad is the main control method and therefore should be in the easiest to reach location.
And as the previous poster mentioned, the power button is too close to the second slide pad.

I think for them to make a new 3DS revision with the second slide pad built in it'd have to be a 3DS XL or something like that. There's just not enough room for a slide pad by the buttons (at least not to be comfortably used) since they neccessarily take more space than the D-pad does because they have to have some separation.
Of course they could move the power button elsewhere and it wouldn't be in the way of the second slide pad, but I still think it would be uncomfortable to use like that.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted a topic about dual analog back in July of 2010, before the actual design was confirmed as "official," and it's interesting to see how people responded back then. My photoshopped pic is very similar to that in the op, and I felt this would've been ideal. I prefer a second analog over using the touch screen, mostly so I can hold the system comfortably with both hands during long play sessions. While I understand that a second circle pad wouldn't fit in the finalized design of the 3DS, I feel that Nintendo should've designed the 3DS around having one, even if the result was a slightly larger system.

People have speculated what the next revision of the 3DS might be; better 3D viewing angle, larger screens, etc., but now I imagine they're going to focus on condensing the features of this monstrosity into one compact system.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
If I'm not wrong, the partial reason why this additional analog is planned is to draw some attention away from the 3D.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
If I'm not wrong, the partial reason why this additional analog is planned is to draw some attention away from the 3D.
I didn't see how it would draw away any attention. Maybe even add more. "Move around in your 3D space like never before!"
tongue.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
AceWarhead said:
Jamstruth said:
Uncomfortable.
Placing the 1st analogue stick directly Above/Below the DPad works fine because the Dpad is only used occasionally for weapon changes or whatever so you're not switching a lot. Adding a second Analogue stick directly above/below the ABXY buttons however....blech. Uncomfortable to hold, uncomfortable to switch all the time. Blech. Only the PSPGo/PSPhone designs lend themselves to dual analogue. THey've got the space to arrange the buttons correctly.
That's why the should have increased the size of it. A necessary sacrifice.
I'd rather a small handheld thanks. My PSP-1000 is a bit bulky for my liking. Too long. I own a DSPhat that is (admittedly) a bit bulky but it fits nicely in my hands.
In order to fit the 2 analogues and the buttons in a way similar to the home console controllers or the PSPhone they'd have to double the dead space at either end. I can survive with 1 analogue stick, thanks. Just means that Devs will have to make decent cameras and its not like they haven't been doing that for ages. DPad camera controls should suffice for most platformers if the follow camera is coded right.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Why do people want fps and gears style games on handhelds anyway? It's like wanting professor layton on the 360. Play games suited to big pads and big screens at home, play cool handheld games on the go. No dual analogue needed

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
BlueStar said:
Why do people want fps and gears style games on handhelds anyway? It's like wanting professor layton on the 360. Play games suited to big pads and big screens at home, play cool handheld games on the go. No dual analogue needed
Sometimes I really like FPS on the go.

But it's apparent that that add on is best fit for home use (unless it comes with battery/can be used as portable charger)

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BlueStar said:

People like shooting stuff on the go. I know I do. And there's no point complaining about it when games such as MGS3 which has TPS elements would really utilize it. Actually the majority of games in 3D environments would benefit from a second analog nub to control the camera. Personally I don't think the gyroscope or touchscreen was ever going to be a vaiable replacement.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
chris888222 said:

Just because Nintendo want to focus less on the 3D-ness of some games, does not mean that this ridiculous contraption is meant to be a distraction.
The only evidence around shows that this is probably a single game add-on much like the slide controller of face training camera for the DS.
Everyone is all "OMFGSECONDSLIDERZ!!!!!!" because they think that gameplay is entirely focused around the control scheme. Some of you might be old enough to know that a game is only good if the game is actually good. Jamming in extra controls into an already crap game will not instantly make it a good game. Some of the best games I have ever played had only a 4 direction joystick and a single fire button, hell, one of my favourite games right now has only a single button with no other controls.
Nintendo should be focused on releasing quality newgames, not shovelware ports from other systems and stupid add-on controlers. Hell, why not just go the whole hog and release a separate gamepad that communicates with the 3DS through wifi!

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
spinal_cord said:
chris888222 said:

Just because Nintendo want to focus less on the 3D-ness of some games, does not mean that this ridiculous contraption is meant to be a distraction.
The only evidence around shows that this is probably a single game add-on much like the slide controller of face training camera for the DS.
Everyone is all "OMFGSECONDSLIDERZ!!!!!!" because they think that gameplay is entirely focused around the control scheme. Some of you might be old enough to know that a game is only good if the game is actually good. Jamming in extra controls into an already crap game will not instantly make it a good game. Some of the best games I have ever played had only a 4 direction joystick and a single fire button, hell, one of my favourite games right now has only a single button with no other controls.
Nintendo should be focused on releasing quality newgames, not shovelware ports from other systems and stupid add-on controlers. Hell, why not just go the whole hog and release a separate gamepad that communicates with the 3DS through wifi!
Wha- you calling Monster Hunter shovelware?
ohmy.gif

Anyway, agree with some of your points listed.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I still think this setup would've been fine.

23rtoagsd.jpg

For OoT, instead of C-Pad, D-Pad could've been used for movement. C-Pad for Camera, ABXY for the default ones used currently.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far