3DS sections are getting out of hand with spam, arguments, off-topic posts, and unrealistic requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxtsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's great that homebrew has become a lot more accessible in the past weeks with the releases of Ironhax, Browserhax, Themehax, etc., but it's also brought a lot of off-topic spam and arguments with it, and it's got to stop. I think this thread by @GeekyGuy should be brought up again:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-reminder-about-respect.299756/

I'm not asking for anything specific from the staff here; I want to remind people that there are human beings behind the screennames that you're writing to, and that if there's a problem with something they've said, such as if it's been answered a million times already, kindly redirect them to a noob paradise or homebrew requests thread, or report the thread so it can be locked.

Phanton

GBAtemp's Nui lover
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It just needs more attention from the mods really. "what would your stripper's name be?" "Comment if...? " or let's play some silly posting game is shitting all the place, if the mods can censor particular words in people posts the surely can just suspend all those muppets.

D

Deleted User

What's worse is that things go beyond discussion to personal things.
I also think that the search bar is not very effective. Maybe that encourages noobs to be lazy and start whole threads about already answered questions.
I find that the search bar tends to give me a bunch of junk unrelated to what I'm searching for.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm good at reporting bullshit threads multiple times until they get cleaned. do I do it properly?
Generally just reporting one post/thread just once is enough. When someone makes a report it basically becomes a mini thread in the reports section and at times staff might need to discuss how to deal with a report between themselves. So that is why some reports may not be dealt with quickly, if you are reporting the same thing multiple times for the same reason you are just cluttering up the report section for no reason.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Generally just reporting one post/thread just once is enough. When someone makes a report it basically becomes a mini thread in the reports section and at times staff might need to discuss how to deal with a report between themselves. So that is why some reports may not be dealt with quickly, if you are reporting the same thing multiple times for the same reason you are just cluttering up the report section for no reason.
oh, it didn't know that. I thought it was just sending an alert to moderators.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
If you ever happen to make me a moderator, please don't. I know it may be some people's dream *cough*Voxel Studios*cough*, but I would probably end up ruining GBATemp by accident, then the world would hate me. :O

We don't just randomly make someone a mod out of the blue without prior warning, it is a very carefully considered and serious process. The staff as a group will decide on some names for suitable candidates and once we are in general agreement either one of the admins or supervisors will contact the people and ask them if they actually want to be mods (we have actually been turned down by people in the past). Then when we have a definitive list of people who have accepted we will double check that nobody has any serious reservations about the candidates and only then will we promote those people.

Anyway my advice to any wanabes out there is think carefully about what you wish for. Being a mod is no easy task and when you are one your relationship with the community will change completely. You may have to mod and suspend your friends and you will be open to massive scrutiny and criticism. Not that it isn't rewarding, there are a lot of positives and a lot of satisfaction to be had as staff but it is a serious thing and that is why you see so few people being promoted. It would be unfair for us to throw someone into the role as a mod if they aren't ready and mature enough to handle it, if they aren't ready to handle it their place in the forum would be ruined forever.

D

Deleted User

We don't just randomly make someone a mod out of the blue without prior warning, it is a very carefully considered and serious process. The staff as a group will decide on some names for suitable candidates and once we are in general agreement either one of the admins or supervisors will contact the people and ask them if they actually want to be mods (we have actually been turned down by people in the past). Then when we have a definitive list of people who have accepted we will double check that nobody has any serious reservations about the candidates and only then will we promote those people.

Anyway my advice to any wanabes out there is think carefully about what you wish for. Being a mod is no easy task and when you are one your relationship with the community will change completely. You may have to mod and suspend your friends and you will be open to massive scrutiny and criticism. Not that it isn't rewarding, there are a lot of positives and a lot of satisfaction to be had as staff but it is a serious thing and that is why you see so few people being promoted. It would be unfair for us to throw someone into the role as a mod if they aren't ready and mature enough to handle it, if they aren't ready to handle it their place in the forum would be ruined forever.
What about the role of Contributor? What's the differences between one of them, and a mod? What priveliges do you get?

Reactions: Margen67

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
What about the role of Contributor? What's the differences between one of them, and a mod? What priveliges do you get?

Contributors and reporters just deal with writing news and reviews, which is an entirely different and equally important role especially these days when GBAtemp is becoming more legit and has even been accepted into review aggregate sites like opencritic and regularly receives official review codes from multiple game developers and publishers.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
@Jwiz33 Did you just report my post for spam? or was it someone else?
It was removed for being offtopic. Not only was it offtopic, but it was offtopic in a topic made with the intent of trying to reduce offtopic posts that frequently derail threads. Surely you didn't expect it to remain?

If you want to have person conversations you're free to have them in topics dedicated for such or in Personal Messages.

D

Deleted User

It was removed for being offtopic. Not only was it offtopic, but it was offtopic in a topic made with the intent of trying to reduce offtopic posts that frequently derail threads. Surely you didn't expect it to remain?

If you want to have person conversations you're free to have them in topics dedicated for such or in Personal Messages.
No comment...
By the way, welcome back! :D

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It just needs more attention from the mods really. "what would your stripper's name be?" "Comment if...? " or let's play some silly posting game is shitting all the place, if the mods can censor particular words in people posts the surely can just suspend all those muppets.
The EoF is the section for those sort of threads, genius. Stop going to EoF and derailing threads with 'this thread is offtopic' where do you think the topic comes from. Jesus, that's some next level stupid.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe stickies aren't obvious enough? I know this sounds stupid, but we could possibly be dealing with the some stupid people here so I believe sticky topics would be more conspicuous. Some forums give stickies a different table cell background color. It's ugly in terms of the forum aesthetics, but at least people notice it.

3DS Noob paradise should be where the "I don't know x and honestly i'm too afraid to ask" posts go.

Everything else, the troll posts and pooposting, those should be moderated.
11qmz5e.jpg

Edit: woops I didn't realize each 3ds board didn't have as much lovely stickies and detail as the Flashcard board.

Last edited by Pluupy,

daxtsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Reactions: Margen67 and daxtsu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)