DQ9 English Plot Synopsis / Progress Flowchart

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Densetsu, Jul 12, 2009.

Jul 12, 2009
  1. Densetsu
    OP

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    <div align="center"><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Dragon Quest IX English Plot Synopsis</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    <a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=166713" target="_blank"><b>Click here for golio514's DQ9 Menu Translation Thread</b></a></div>

I started out in <a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=166713" target="_blank">this thread</a>, but it's become an English menu patch topic, so I've decided to break away and create my own thread on just the story alone. As I progress through the game I'll be posting general synopses of each major plot point. See below for the Progress Flowchart. This is <b>not</b>, nor will it ever be, a patch. This will very likely be officially released in English, so there's no reason to do a complete translation of the story.

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>UPDATE:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> I've been looking over <a href="http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10300778270.html" target="_blank">Kouli's flowchart</a>, and seeing as how he actually made an effort to localize the character and town names (as opposed to a straight transliteration like I did), I'm changing all names in this post to be consistent with Kouli's localized names (which sound much better anyway).

<b>These translations are done solely by me and if you see them posted in other forums, well...I'm flattered. But just so you know, these are my translations and I posted them here on GBAtemp first. Enjoy, and happy gaming!</b> :yayds:

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>WARNING:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> These synopses contain spoilers.
    Intro
    Wollo Village
    The Rockslide at the Mountain Pass
    Kisagona Ruins
    Legendary Inn King
    St. Stein Castle
    Elafita Village
    Ludiano Castle
    Bexeria
    Sealed Shrine
    The Sealed Shrine plot synopsis ended up being way longer than I meant to make it and took much more time than I wanted to spend on it (notice how I got lazy near the end I decided to wrap it up quickly by saying "Long story short"), so my future synopses won't be nearly as long as this one was.

Heaven's Ark / Realm of Angels
    <!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro-->/synopsis<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <hr />

<div align="center"><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Dragon Quest IX Progress Flowchart
    <a href="http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10300778270.html" target="_blank">Kouli's Optimized Flowchart</a></b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>

This is a general flowchart to help you progress in DQ9. This will be continuously updated as I progress.
    <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->UPDATE:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> On second thought, I'm abandoning this flowchart because someone else named <a href="http://profile.ameba.jp/koulinovesperia/" target="_blank">Kouli</a> has already finished it. <a href="http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10300778270.html" target="_blank">Click here</a>.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I commend and thank you for this! Already you are working on helping people understand the script. Great game and great work helping us to understand it. Good luck with it!

3. miss_DSlite

Member miss_DSlite GBAtemp Regular

United States
    good work ^^ i hope u can complete it

4. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    i will send you a few more codes to assist you [​IMG]

5. Densetsu
    OP

United States
    Much appreciated, good sir! Thanks to your codes I don't have to waste time grinding and I can just get through the story quickly [​IMG]

6. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Thank you Denetsu! I understand it just well enough to bear through.

7. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    I linked this topic in the OP of the menu translation so people can refer here for any story concerns.
    EDIT:Someone from GAMEFAQS stole your translations Densetsu!!
    Though I posted there to put him in his place >:(.

8. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    Thanks Densetsu3000 for the translation [​IMG] well, guess my imagination were all wrong haha [​IMG]

9. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Actually, he didn't steal it, he said:

10. killerpixel

Newcomer killerpixel Member

United States
    Thanks for the translation man. it's getting me through the game [​IMG]

11. helloion

Newcomer helloion Member

Philippines
    Hey guys tell me if i can help you. I think I'm already at part 5 I already defeated the giant fish boss and I've been jotting down thing you need to do in order to progress. I want to help as much as I can.

wow that kouli guy is fast
    http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/
    all we can do now is give details as in where to go exactly.

12. dq addict

Newcomer dq addict Member

Germany
    I´ve done all the talking to that doctor guy and the girl´s ghost, visited all people in town and now everything seems okay. But I have no idea where to go now...

13. Gligli

Newcomer Gligli Member

France
    It's really impressive what that kouli guy did, especially for the miniquests. I'm fluent in Japanese so I don't need walkthroughs but I'm amazed how english-speaking gamers are helping between them [​IMG]

BTW. Don't you find those quests are really hard as long as it's class-gaining quests ? I'm trying to get the red mage class, and it's almost impossible... you know, finding metal slimes in the Bexelia ruins takes time... they happen to run away by the time you cast the spell on your mage... and on the top of that, mages are so weak that 99% of the time it's your warrior who happen to kill the metaslime..... ghaaaaaah ;____; (if you use the boukyou command and keep the mage attacking, the slime runs away too)

I'm past Bitali Mountains, going to San Malo. At this point of the game, what would be really appreciated is a full guide of the alchemy feature. I wish I could get my hands on the actual guidebook, which is really helpful for the apprentice alchemists !

14. Gligli

Newcomer Gligli Member

France
    Oh, and for those who are wondering : the Wi-Fi Shop is great ! Everyday you can buy at an affordable price special items for the alchemy pot. I'm glad they kept that item-hunting quest from DQVIII !

15. Densetsu
    OP

United States
    The official DQ9 Japanese guidebook by SE-MOOK isn't scheduled to be out until 11 September, according to Amazon.co.jp. In typical Japanese style (to make more money), it will come in two volumes (???).

16. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I'm gonna wait for the English version to play this, but the fact that you took time out of your own schedule to translate the story for the impatient ones is something to be admired. Great job, Densetsu!

17. Gligli

Newcomer Gligli Member

France
    Thank you Densetsu-san ! Appreciated [​IMG]
    Actually, I saw pictures of the release day in a Yodobashi Camera, they were selling a guidebook along with the game : here.

???????????????????????????????7?11????????????DS?????????????IX ?????????????????????231?8932?????????

?????11??12??2???????81.56?????

????????????2?????????????????VIII ???????????????223?????????????????????????

Sold in two days 2 318 932 copies over Japan, breaking DQVIII record of 2 230 000 copies [​IMG]

18. Cavedude

Member Cavedude GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Damn densetsu, nice post!!!!!! Lots of wonderful information!!!!

19. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States
    This is awesome Densetsu3000! Thank you very much for your work. [​IMG]

20. antari3x

Newcomer antari3x Member

Poland
    Hey great job man!

One question: Are you planning to write the rest of the plot cause i'm right now at ''Sealed Shrine'' i i do not know what the characters are tolkin bout. PLEASE HELP with your fabolous translation of each dialogue!