Not open for further replies.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Powerwise I can I understand, but wouldn't the 3D graphics be the reason for it's power requirements. I never mention 3Ds roms can be played on a DS. I was just saying if it was possible to remove the 3D feature of a rom, it woudn't be 3D anymore. It'd be a regular DS game. I'm no hacker, so I can't confirm anything. The reason it's 8GB or 4GB is because it's 3D; remove that, and it's just a regular DS game of 128ish MB.
That's not how it works. The 3D is done by simply doubling the camera in-game to two cameras, positioning them slightly apart, then aiming them at the same focal point and interlacing the images vertically. It's something that can be switched on and off (in fact, there will be some 3DS games released without any 3D ability at all), it's not "part of the game" like it was some engine part that can be removed.

Hell, there's a homebrew plugin for the PSP to add 3D ability in the same sort of manner (but using tinted glasses).
http://psp.dashhacks...rx-v22-released

Anyways the DS and 3DS aren't the same thing. I stated I wished Nintendo would have changed the damn name because calling it the "3DS" makes people think it's a DS with 3D ability. It's not. It's a new system with new games. New games that use a new format that the DS can't read, using new hardware that the DS does not have, doing calculations the DS can't do, at a speed the DS can't reach, and expecting to output at a screen resolution the DS does not support.

This is not possible, because a 3DS game is NOT a 3D DS game.

Nintendo just sucks at differentiating things.

Okay, do you know why the roms are so huge? Did the graphics just increase? For some releases that have both 3DS and DS games, I've seen both and they look pretty much similiar.

4710340195_7e186749fd.jpg
2_thumb.jpg
1.jpg

DonnyKD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Powerwise I can I understand, but wouldn't the 3D graphics be the reason for it's power requirements. I never mention 3Ds roms can be played on a DS. I was just saying if it was possible to remove the 3D feature of a rom, it woudn't be 3D anymore. It'd be a regular DS game. I'm no hacker, so I can't confirm anything. The reason it's 8GB or 4GB is because it's 3D; remove that, and it's just a regular DS game of 128ish MB.
That's not how it works. The 3D is done by simply doubling the camera in-game to two cameras, positioning them slightly apart, then aiming them at the same focal point and interlacing the images vertically. It's something that can be switched on and off (in fact, there will be some 3DS games released without any 3D ability at all), it's not "part of the game" like it was some engine part that can be removed.

Hell, there's a homebrew plugin for the PSP to add 3D ability in the same sort of manner (but using tinted glasses).

Anyways the DS and 3DS aren't the same thing. I stated I wished Nintendo would have changed the damn name because calling it the "3DS" makes people think it's a DS with 3D ability. It's not. It's a new system with new games. New games that use a new format that the DS can't read, using new hardware that the DS does not have, doing calculations the DS can't do, at a speed the DS can't reach, and expecting to output at a screen resolution the DS does not support.

Okay, do you know why the roms are so huge? Did the graphics just increase? For some releases that have both 3DS and DS games, I've seen both and they look pretty much similiar.

The ROMS are huge because there's a lot of content and data on it, most of which won't run on any DS at all. And no, it isn't the 3D, it's EVERYTHING.

Seriously, this is something a toddler would say.

"If we changed the Wii's rom name to DS, will it run on DS?"

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the graphics increased greatly (along with sound support, etc.), check out some side-by-side shots (like pong posted) to see the difference.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dude, the games are just bigger. Like Rydian said it's a new system, not a small upgrade. Thats like if you said the PSone cpuld play PS2 games just because its PlayStation lol

LordMatsu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

The ROMS are huge because there's a lot of content and data on it, most of which won't run on any DS at all. And no, it isn't the 3D, it's EVERYTHING.

Seriously, this is something a toddler would say.

"If we changed the Wii's rom name to DS, will it run on DS?"

Sorry that I assumed 3DS meant 3D.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
I thought 3DS was just a 3D version of DS. Not like a completely new graphics, system, audio, etc... I never said 3DS games could be played on the DS. Because I thought 3DS was just 3D DS, if you removed the 3D wouldn't it equal DS. I didn't know it was a "new" system and a big upgrade.

The 3DS is No DS it is backwards compatible but the build of the hardware and firmware are very different.

Its like saying a GBA SP is a DS

LordMatsu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought 3DS was just a 3D version of DS. Not like a completely new graphics, system, audio, etc... I never said 3DS games could be played on the DS. Because I thought 3DS was just 3D DS, if you removed the 3D wouldn't it equal DS. I didn't know it was a "new" system and a big upgrade.

The 3DS is No DS it is backwards compatible but the build of the hardware and firmware are very different.

Its like saying a GBA SP is a DS

Something made me think DS + 3D = 3DS. As if it was the same system, but now I know. I hope one day the roms will be playable.

kingcolex

Joe "Coop" Cooper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is cracking me up, funny part a writer for yahoo acted the same way with the 3ds saying Nintendo needs to make a successor to the ds and not just more variations. Although that was when it was announced.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, we never got this shit for the Gameboy Colour and that was pretty much just the same thing with colour added.

I guess kids now...well...I best be nice.

Reactions: 1 person

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
The 3DS about as powerful if not more powerfull than a Wii.

The DS was about a little stronger than the Nintendo 64

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This thread is just way too much.
LordMatsu that's not how things work, the 3DS is not just a DS with a 3D feature and removing the 3D feature won't magically make the games work the on DS.
I am just going to +1 on the idea of moving this thread to the EoF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!