Gaming 3DS Resident Evil Uses MT Framework

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
wow this is in-game, you can tell by resolution of the shadows, and also the detail of the eye's as one tuber commented, awesome

it looks really interesting, it seems Wesker's Alive and is using a clone of Chris's body which would explain why they turned against each other

I also can't belive the level of detail, the texture quality is way higher than anything a psp can do, there is anti aliasing, real time shadows and lighting, and looking at the characters faces it would appear a very high polygon count, all in all I'm very impressed, but it still begs the question of why don't all games have AA?

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great news. It's good to hear that the demo they showed at E3 was, in fact, in real time.

Also, I'm interested in the title itself. Guess I need to go and actually beat RE5 now...

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
This has a big "FAKE" sign written all over it, like the infamous Killzone 2 PS3 "demo" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPkgyr46wpM

For starters, this video is 640×360. Not only this doesn't match the aspect of 3DS's top screen, but also has higher vertical resolution. Second, if 3DS was able to generate graphics of this quality, why would MGS and Kid Icarus demos look much worse ?

My guess is that what they shown at E3 was a full motion video, prerendered from different angles (3D panorama). You can still look around, which gives the false impression of the scene being generated in realtime . Check the link here: http://www.labnol.org/internet/video/3d-vi...the-video/3043/

PS. "The trailer is rendered in real time using the game engine" - that might be true, but NOT ON THE ACTUAL 3DS HARDWARE.

D

Deleted-188346

pachura said:
This has a big "FAKE" sign written all over it, like the infamous Killzone 2 PS3 "demo" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPkgyr46wpM

For starters, this video is 640×360. Not only this doesn't match the aspect of 3DS's top screen, but also has higher vertical resolution. Second, if 3DS was able to generate graphics of this quality, why would MGS and Kid Icarus demos look much worse ?

My guess is that what they shown at E3 was a full motion video, prerendered from different angles (3D panorama). You can still look around, which gives the false impression of the scene being generated in realtime . Check the link here: http://www.labnol.org/internet/video/3d-vi...the-video/3043/

PS. "The trailer is rendered in real time using the game engine" - that might be true, but NOT ON THE ACTUAL 3DS HARDWARE.

If you look at the variety of photos and videos given so far, there a huge range of graphical quality shown by the 3DS. For example, the Ocarina Of Time photos are possibly the worst display of graphics given from the 3DS. However, you may notice that it looks very beta, as there are no enemies, no shrubs, no NPCs...just Link, and Epona.

What we have seen so far is mainly early development photos, and a few hardware showoff videos. I severely doubt Capcom, let alone Nintendo, will deliberately mislead people with the graphical capabilities of the 3DS, given that most people are interested in it because of the visuals.

Lastly, you seem to be quite desperate to prove that the 3DS is, graphically, a poor machine. I'm guessing you're a Microsoft/Sony fanboy, in which case, let Nintendo have it's time to shine as the graphically superior handheld. Face the facts, it's more than likely true that the 3DS is superior visually to the PSP.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just goes to show you people will keep denying anything no matter what. Did you notice how hideous that 3D panorama video looked? It's all jittery and ugly for a reason.

We've had confirmation, that's enough. Sounds like you just don't want to admit that the 3DS could produce that kind of visual quality.

The things that makes this real-
1- Capcom confirmed it and they wouldn't just outright lie, that's something that will come back to haunt them
2- floor demos allowed you to control the camera angle real time. The panorama videos look awful, this didn't
3- the video is rendered at a higher resolution, so what? They did that to the Metroid Other M trailers as well, but it didn't mean they faked the gameplay

This is not fake. If you'd like to accuse Capcom of being filthy liars, go ahead. I'll believe their word over yours any day though. They wouldn't say something like that if they didn't mean it. They're pretty reputable in that respect, they've yet to mislead anyone in showing their games off. It basically comes down to this- if they say it's real time, it is. We already have confirmation of that from the showfloor demos. And now we have Capcom's own word. As for your Killzone reference, i don't know anything about that game, but it's an entirely different game, system, developer, and publisher. It holds no relevance to this game. That point is moot.

Honestly, i thought people would stop being stupid about fake accusations once we got Capcom's own word and confirmation that it was real. I guess some people just can't handle the truth... It'll be real enough when you're playing it yourself, but even then i don't doubt some people will STILL be dumb enough to call it fake.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Plus the MGS tech demo, with far more control over the camera etc, is of a similar graphical standard.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Plus the MGS tech demo, with far more control over the camera etc, is of a similar graphical standard.

Yes!

That game was awesome and that bridge was one of my favorite parts.

*Cut ropes, watch enemies fall*

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll also add that now that we know how powerful the 3DS GPU is, i don't really see why anyone would try to deny what we're seeing is possible... That's some serious effort to put into faking things. Really, it's a rather ridiculous accusation after all the proof we have. >_>

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Heh,

I didn't mean to bash 3DS. I am sure it will produce better visuals than PSP - but not to that degree. Fiddling with trailers, applying postprocessing to make them look better than the actual game is really something common. The facts are that this video was not rendered on 3DS hardware, and they did not claim it was - just said that the engine was the same.

Apart from that, I doubt people will be buying DS because of its visual capabilities, but rather because of the novelty of stereoscopic 3D... I'm sure it's going to be great success, however I find it rather bizarre that RE video looks almost like Xbox360 game (shader-wise, not triangle-wise), and the other demos are more on level of GameCube.

As for the MGS video, c'mon, it's not on the same level as the RE video. The way the light interacts with the air in the stuffy room, the quality of faces, casting self-shadows, the bloom effect, the explosions and water... that's much, much better.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS' GPU has shaders comparable to the Xbox 360, so that theory goes out the window. Really, it's not that hard to figure out dude. This is the real thing. Here's what Capcom said-

“Following last week’s announcement that Capcom currently has two titles, Resident Evil: Revelations and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (tentative title), in development for the Nintendo 3DS the first trailer for Resident Evil: Revelations has just been released and is now available for download from our press extranet. Featuring appearances from Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine the trailer is rendered in real time using the game engine.”

Unless you're into semantics to try to prove it wrong of course. But this is the real deal, we've had multiple confirmations that the trailer is real and that that was how it looked in the E3 demo (where you could control the camera with the analog stick). The resolution may be higher, but that doesn't mean the 3DS isn't using its hardware to render this. It's just not logical to deny that it's real and it will look like this on the real system. It's not far fetched or anything either, we know partially what the device is capable of, enough to confirm that this is possible...

As for the variation in games, you might as well be saying the MGS or Kid Icarus vids/screens are fake by comparing them to the Zelda OOT screens. Zelda looks like a Dreamcast game for now, it has some low polygon models, lacks antialiasing, the textures could use some work, and the environment seems very sparse. And then Nintendogs barely looks any better than the DS version. The graphics for this system are all over the place, not a good justification for a better looking title being fake. >_>

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'Cause every game has to look the same.
rolleyes.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
The logistics of actually doing something like that camera-control panoramic video are mind boggling though. Rather than just drive along clicking a load of cameras several times a second you'd have to render a huge amount of frames from different angles and stream them correctly in relation to the stick. Plus, the skewing and stretching in that video might give a satisfactory illusion with only looking a bit not right, how do you maintain the 3D illusion when doing that?

I think it would be a more impressive technical achievement for Capcom if it was prerendered. Bear in mind there's only 3 characters in a small room for this scene and they've obviously put a lot more of a work into these two minutes than they would for a minute of normal gameplay. Certainly, don't expect every part if this or any other game to look this good, but its believable as a tech demo.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
The logistics of actually doing something like that camera-control panoramic video are mind boggling though. Rather than just drive along clicking a load of cameras several times a second you'd have to render a huge amount of frames from different angles and stream them correctly in relation to the stick. Plus, the skewing and stretching in that video might give a satisfactory illusion with only looking a bit not right, how do you maintain the 3D illusion when doing that?

I must agree with you on that point. However, a fixed cutscene allows you to optimize rendering much much more vs. regular gameplay: precalculate shadows, distribute triangles in an optimal way, etc. etc. Eventually, I can believe in this being a tech demo pushing 3DS hardware to the limits, but extremely difficult to achieve ingame. Just like 3DMark used to produce jaw-dropping effects, unmatched by games for a long time. That's my opinion.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing with tech demos though, is that this one is a real game. What they showed may not have been in a playable form, but they are developing a game around it. And they already said that it was using ingame graphics. 3DMark didn't use assets from any game in particular, no games came out of what they used in the renderings. Here though, Resident Evil is intended to be a game.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
What you have to realize is that just because the video is 640 x 360 it could easily be stretched to fill the screen, the AA also reduces pixelation when veiwing the videos fullscreen, although AA is very expensive for a handheld and I'm still skeptic of it being used i have found several game screenshots were there clearly is AA aswell as very high quality graphics.

Ridge Racer
3dsridgeracer04ss04e3.jpg

3dsridgeracer02ss02e3.jpg

Kingdom Hearts
kingdomhearts2010-06-01.jpg

Street Fighter IV (object based)
3dsssf402ss02e3.jpg

Starfox 64 3d
starfox2010-06-03-4.jpg

Samurai Warriors 3d
3dssamuraiw3d04ss04e3.jpg

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
3dssplinterc04ss04e3.jpg

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
For starters, this video is 640×360. Not only this doesn't match the aspect of 3DS's top screen, but also has higher vertical resolution.
Videos can be up-scaled.

QUOTE(pachura @ Jun 23 2010, 02:14 AM) Second, if 3DS was able to generate graphics of this quality, why would MGS and Kid Icarus demos look much worse ?
Because every company has their own way of progressing their development and have their own style of how a game is presented. Project Sora's Kid Icarus, for example, does not need to have the realism that RE has, and they may have focused on the gameplay far more than the graphic detail for this stage of development. We don't even know if that is the final look.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :) +1