3DS Processing power, what resolution/quality of video can it handle?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by DiabloStorm, Apr 24, 2012.

1. DiabloStorm
    OP

Member DiabloStorm Five Gold Star Medalist

United States
    I'm using a DSTWO and the iPlayer and I have a 3DS on the way. I'm wondering what it can handle in terms of video playback without choppyness/jittering. Right now I only have an original DS to compare anything to. I'm unsure of the processing power of the 3DS to begin with although I would think it's safe to say that it's better suited than my DS for such things, especially with the whole netflix thing going on.

Anybody have experience with this?

2. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    The SuperCard is a DS flashcart, not a 3DS flashcart. Hence, it only operates in DS mode when you use it in your 3DS. Hence, I don't think the 3DS's screen capabilities make a difference here. I know for DS games the 3DS has a screen filter to make the games look a little better at the increased resolution, but that's it.

2 people like this.
  3. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    No flashcart can access 3DS mode, hence no use of the beefier 3DS Processing power.

1 person likes this.
  4. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Like it's been said, the 3DS's capabilities will not be available to you when using flashcarts - there will be little difference (other than that caused by a different screen) between DS and 3DS quality and the resolution will just be slightly stretched (or 1:1 in the other mode).

On the otherhand, the 3DS *does* have a video player built in (if you are not bothered with making playlists due to the 10 minute limit per video) which will allow watching 3D video and if you're a U.S customer you can indeed enjoy Netflix...

...so in conclusion, yes, it will be better for multimedia purposes, even if not by much.

1 person likes this.