Gaming 3DS or DSi?

Jayc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I am thinking of buying a system along with a flashcart (since I lost my ancient cyclods). Should I get a 3DS or a DSi? I know that...

(in order of importance)

the 3DS

-will be compatible with 3DS games
-has more features
-might have improved battery life (no it doesn't, I know now)
-might have improved hardware (need confirmation)

the DSi

-has working flashcarts. There is a rumour that the 3DS may include firmware updates to defeat flashcarts. This is what really holds me back from buying it.
-is cheaper

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AlanJohn said:
3DS, Buying a DSi would be just dumb

Way to post a good response. Very helpful and informative, thank you.

@OP: Nearly all flashcards that work on the DSi, work on the 3DS. I know all the big named ones do. Acekard does for sure. The battery life in the 3DS is actually bad compared to the DSi, the DSi itself wasn't even that great in life. But Nyko is coming out with a battery pack that greatly increases battery life on the 3DS.

Get the 3DS. It's the newer system, and by the time good games come out for it, you won't be worried about trying to find a 3DS. It might cost a little bit more, but that's because of it being the next generation handheld and new technology in it. And if you get a flashcard that works on the 3DS that works on the DSi, at least you still have a WHOLE backlog of games to play through until the good 3DS ones come out.

And it's not necessarily three screens. The top screen is essentially 2 with having to get to both eyes differently, and there's the bottom screen.

mad567

D. Gregar
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Greece
Buy a 3DS if you buy it at launch you'll be able to use a flash card on it...
And you could just not update to a firmware that blocks them..
smile.gif

EDIT: Also Someday the DS games will probably die..And you'll have to buy a 3ds to play new game if you want to.
So you'll save some amount of money!!

Briadark

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The hardware is better but the battery is empty in 3-5 hours in 3D mode and 5-8 hours in DS mode and it takes 3.5 hours to recharge.

I would take 3ds because he fits comfortably in your hands and have a lot of new options and you know 3D is really cool.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mad567 said:
Buy a 3DS if you buy it at launch you'll be able to use a flash card on it...
And you could just not update to a firmware that blocks them..
smile.gif
Then update the flashcart. (ds two noa!
tongue.gif
) Read more on it updating tho...

3D off 5-8 hours.

Hardware wayyyyyy!!!! Better.
tongue.gif

Get the 3DS.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
3ds. it's simply better. if it was 5 months ago buying a dsi would be okay, but now that the 3ds is nearly available. its better to buy one.

and sticking the AR card on a screen with a pic of a girl is nice. lower than the face.

Jayc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@ShadowSoldier

I see. But what I am most concerned about is that there is a possibility that a firmware update will render my flashcart useless. I don't want to have to keep buying new flashcarts if flashcart firmware updates fail to bypass the anti-piracy.

Not updating the firmware might not be a possibility because I use WiFi almost all the time.

The reduced battery life is another bummer, although I can deal with that. I've already dealt with my old DS Lite's increasingly bad battery life for a year.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Flashcards can be updated easily, they've been doing with the DSi firmwares. But you could just not update your 3DS until your flashcard comes out with an update. Besides, updating the 3DS/DS is basically useless as all it really is is security stuff to block the flashcard.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend the 3DS. Sure, the battery may be bad (not terrible, because 3-5 hours seems good to me), but the 3DS basically does the exact same things as the DSi, and more.

Also, flashcarts do update, so there is no need to worry about your flashcart being blocked for long.

Jayc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Who's to say it won't be another ball game entirely with the 3DS, though? IIRC, Nintendo was boasting about its supposed enhanced anti-piracy measures (though of course, I'd take that with a grain of salt).

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Flashcards can be updated easily, they've been doing with the DSi firmwares. But you could just not update your 3DS until your flashcard comes out with an update. Besides, updating the 3DS/DS is basically useless as all it really is is security stuff to block the flashcard.
Not the May update.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jayc said:
Who's to say it won't be another ball game entirely with the 3DS, though? IIRC, Nintendo was boasting about its supposed enhanced anti-piracy measures (though of course, I'd take that with a grain of salt).
Well, they never specified DS mode piracy, only 3DS piracy. I'm assuming that you care for DS piracy, but if you are interested in 3DS piracy...

Come back in a few years.

Jayc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@Slyakin
It is true that I care more about supporting DS games, otherwise I would not even consider buying the DSi.

But if I am to buy the 3DS, then I'd have to be pretty sure that I get to play 3DS games on a flashcart too. Otherwise, there's no point buying it for all its newfangled features because I don't get to use them, at least not on my flashcart. There are important flashcart features I'd rather not do without, like real-time save, in-built cheat engine, in-game text viewer and the ease of backing up saves.

I guess the battery life issue isn't so much of a consideration anymore, though.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
no flashcart supports 3ds games/mode coz games has just been released. give it a couple of months or so.

EDIT: i myself can't understand what i posted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple