• Replies 53,775
  • Likes 43

Youhb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I just purchased the R4i 3ds plus and it’s amazing! I couldn’t be happier and I’d recommend it to everyone.

Thanks for your answer.
What if you wish to switch from DS to 3DS games? Opening the flashcard just to hit the switch seems pretty annoying to me... :/

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for your answer.
What if you wish to switch from DS to 3DS games? Opening the flashcard just to hit the switch seems pretty annoying to me... :/
you cannot play 3DS games via the flash card,
the switch is to put it into ntrboot mode to be able to hack the 3ds
then you use other methods like freeShop to get 3ds games

Reactions: Youhb

Youhb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
you will be able to update it if needed,
as you said, ace3dsx uses an outdated (unofficial) wood "kernel"
the r4i gold plus would be the better one all round

Well.. Following this guide there shouldn't be a problem flashing to Wood R4 V1.62. Which appears to be the newest.
Maybe I'm missing something?

Or are you saying R4i Gold Plus is using a different kernel which offers better support in general?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you cannot play 3DS games via the flash card,
the switch is to put it into ntrboot mode to be able to hack the 3ds
then you use other methods like freeShop to get 3ds games

So after I installed a CFM on my 3DS, I can switch to DS mode and never have to go back until I want to make an update or similiar?
Yeah right, Hunter already told me I won't have to put the flashcard inside after flashing my 3DS. Therefore I only need it for the start, after that I'll put the games on the SD card in the 3DS direclty, right?

This all is kinda confusing.. :D

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well.. Following this guide there shouldn't be a problem flashing to Wood R4 V1.62. Which appears to be the newest.
Maybe I'm missing something?

Or are you saying R4i Gold Plus is using a different kernel which offers better support in general?
the r4i gold plus https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=575
uses the official wood kernel, has the latest official version

the switch inside, will only be switched when you hack a 3ds console, most other times it will be on DS mode so you can play DS games
and you will only be switching it again if you want to hack a friends console, or recover from a brick if one ever happens on your own

Youhb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
the r4i gold plus https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=575
uses the official wood kernel, has the latest official version

the switch inside, will only be switched when you hack a 3ds console, most other times it will be on DS mode so you can play DS games
and you will only be switching it again if you want to hack a friends console, or recover from a brick if one ever happens on your own

Finally! :D
This seems to sum up, what I tried to say in the post above yours :D

What other versions are there if I may ask? The newest seems to be from 2013 :/

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
Finally! :D
This seems to sum up, what I tried to say in the post above yours :D

What other versions are there if I may ask? The newest seems to be from 2013 :/
that would be about the newest you'll find, there hasnt been an update to wood in ages, due to the NDS being EOL and no new games getting released and no new methods of patching games needed

Youhb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
that would be about the newest you'll find, there hasnt been an update to wood in ages, due to the NDS being EOL and no new games getting released and no new methods of patching games needed

Why not get an Ace3ds X then? Simply because it's an unofficial kernel?
Are there any known disadvantages?

(I'm honstely sorry for bothering with those stupid questions. It's just it isn't really documented the way a noob would certainly know what is important to know and which matters because of what.)

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
Why not get an Ace3ds X then? Simply because it's an unofficial kernel?
Are there any known disadvantages?

(I'm honstely sorry for bothering with those stupid questions. It's just it isn't really documented the way a noob would certainly know what is important to know and which matters because of what.)
if you want to get the Ace3DS X then do so, I have given you the information that the r4i 3ds gold is the officially supported wood kernel
while the one with the Ace3DS X does work, it's upto you what one you want

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
this is weird question, today i was hacking one of my friend's 3DS, all thing went without problem in less then 5 minutes, however she bought a 64GB sandisk mSD card from a legit store, it was on eXFAT so i used mini tool partition free to convert it to FAT32, after that i copied the old file to the new card, tried to boot the 3DS but it gives me blue light and shut down, i thought this is because of luma, but it was not.

so i used the old card with the same files and it's running good, i made ctrtransfer to make the 3DS boot without SD card, after that i used the new card i double checked it's FAT32, and the 3DS booted but the theme is gone and the 3DS told me it can't detect the SD card, just to be sure i used my own 3DS SD card and it detect it without problem, and just to be sure again, i used guiformat to format it to FAT32 and tried auto and 32 and 64, every time it failed detected.

my laptop detect that card, so even if it was fake card with less GB (for example a 4/8 GB card) it should got detected in the 3DS.
i didn't have the time to test the card with H2testw because we were inside a coffee shop and we were out of time.

what do you think is the problem here?

Last edited by aos10,

EmBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you want to get the Ace3DS X then do so, I have given you the information that the r4i 3ds gold is the officially supported wood kernel
From what I can tell, there's a lot of theory and preconceptions instead of actual known differences. At least there's nothing I can find about the technical details... But it's fine if nobody (who wants to share) really knows.

this is weird question, today i was hacking one of my friend's 3DS, all thing went without problem in less then 5 minutes, however she bought a 64GB sandisk mSD card from a legit store, it was on eXFAT so i used mini tool partition free to convert it to FAT32, after that i copied the old file to the new card, tried to boot the 3DS but it gives me blue light and shut down, i thought this is because of luma, but it was not.

so i used the old card with the same files and it's running good, i made ctrtransfer to make the 3DS boot without SD card, after that i used the new card i double checked it's FAT32, and the 3DS booted but the theme is gone and the 3DS told me it can't detect the SD card, just to be sure i used my own 3DS SD card and it detect it without problem, and just to be sure again, i used guiformat to format it to FAT32 and tried auto and 32 and 64, every time it failed detected.

my laptop detect that card, so even if it was fake card with less GB (for example a 4/8 GB card) it should got detected in the 3DS.
i didn't have the time to test the card with H2testw because we were inside a coffee shop and we were out of time.

what do you think is the problem here?
Maybe the cluster size wasn't formatted to 32kb?

Just in case my unanswered questions become forgotten, and a bit of additional clarification...:
1. It uses the wood firmware btw (if that wasn't already obvious). I know I can play a game and save once I receive it, but I'd like to prepare beforehand ideally.
2. Does anyone know anything about using the microphone with a DS flashcart? Other than the incomplete R4 TTDS thread.
Last call before I just find out myself (in like 10 days).

Youhb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

I'll probably get a R4i, I was just curious for the differences.
Thank you very much, you helped a lot.

From what I can tell, there's a lot of theory and preconceptions instead of actual known differences. At least there's nothing I can find about the technical details... But it's fine if nobody (who wants to share) really knows.
[...]
Exactly my guess, since the only advantage seems to be the switch accessable from the outside and you don't need to switch that often, better stick with a R4i then.

flystar2k17

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Opening post was here, thanks for quoting it*[/B][/B]
Hello. I;m having crazy problems with my 3ds. I dont know what custom firmware i even have, luma updater crashes when opening, i dont even know if i have arm9loader hax or boot9strap. the sd card is full of files: iwant to clean it up but i dont know what to delete. i need serious help. dont even know what luma version i have. all i know is that i can use fbi, freeshop, the basic cfw apps that i know of. I have Sys 11.6.0-39U. I also cant back up my nand. i dont even know where to start. I hope someone has the patience to help me xD i cant send pictures if needed to help.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia

Maybe the cluster size wasn't formatted to 32kb?

Last call before I just find out myself (in like 10 days).
I've tried 32k cluster and 64k cluster, same thing.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow over 2000 pages here.... I'm sure the answer i am looking for is in there but..... i'll ask anyway.... I have my original Old 3DS and i'm planning to home brew it. I noticed that there is a new way to do so. I did my Old 3DS XL (Cubic Ninja Cart and a Luma install)a few years ago and it took me about 6 hours. Is this current method any faster?

Kirari

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Damnit- I was so focused on the 3dsSeedMinerGuide and did everything correctly until it links me to "section VI" which is " Installing boot9strap (DSiWare Game Injection), that I just noticed that you need two nintendo3ds to continue.
Is there really no other way now that I've come this far? I could buy just another 2DS but I want to know if anyone has another suggestion!

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Damnit- I was so focused on the 3dsSeedMinerGuide and did everything correctly until it links me to "section VI" which is " Installing boot9strap (DSiWare Game Injection), that I just noticed that you need two nintendo3ds to continue.
Is there really no other way now that I've come this far? I could buy just another 2DS but I want to know if anyone has another suggestion!
You do realize that the seedminer guide does state you only need 1 console. Your not completely screwed yet with the seedminer option.

Kirari

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You do realize that the seedminer guide does state you only need 1 console. Your not completely screwed yet with the seedminer option.
Oh - then I misunderstood something... do you mind telling me what I can do now? I am at the point "Congrabblulations! You now have a working exploit entry point and the required files to get everything up and running!
You can now continue with SECTION VI in the following guide - NOT SECTION I!". I seriously don't know where to continue at this point.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh - then I misunderstood something... do you mind telling me what I can do now? I am at the point "Congrabblulations! You now have a working exploit entry point and the required files to get everything up and running!
You can now continue with SECTION VI in the following guide - NOT SECTION I!". I seriously don't know where to continue at this point.
Do you have the movable.sed and the other information from brute forcing with you?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...