• Likes 44

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noob here.

I bought a used o3ds that was at 10.5. When I bought it, I didn't want to do a "Format System Memory" because I was worried it would update it to 11.x so I kept it as is and installed the CFW using Plailect guide and everything is working fine except I just realized that it's still linked to another NNID. From what I read, to get rid of the NNID, I could do a "Format System Memory" but I wanted to confirm that this is safe to do on a CFW (I'm suspicious that it's not but doing System Update is safe so I'm wondering if "Format System Memory" would be too).

Please let me know and thanks for all your work.
Formatting does not do a system update.

Reactions: michelb

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm geared up for an N3DSXL 11.0 DSiWare downgrade tomorrow, successfully backing up the most important save games already.
I just have a few questions.

1. I'm using an 11.1 O3DS as my modded system to transfer the exploited DSiWare title. Does it matter that the source system is a higher firmware than the destination system?
    1. I'm also aware that I'll need to use CTR-HTTPWN on the destination system, but I've already been using that.
  2. The 11.1 O3DS has a large number of titles installed on it which were not purchased from the eShop but installed by another means, what will happen to these titles on the destination system, as well as the source system after I restore its NAND to its pre-transfer condition?
  3. The 11.1 O3DS does not have an NNID, does this stop me from buying Fieldrunners for the downgrade exploit on the destination system?
  4. Since I will be formatting my 11.0 N3DS XL with its current NNID, after I have finished installing the A9LH exploit + Luma 3DS, I want to confirm that I'll:
    1. Re-associate my NNID with the new post-formatting NAND
    2. Be able to re-download my purchased eShop games, DLC and themes
    3. Restore save games and extra data from my pre-formatting NAND which were extracted using JK's Save Manager, including stuff like StreetPass Mii Plaza, Nintendo Badge Arcade and my personal Mii.
I think that's everything I'm apprehensive about. I'm prepared for the hassle of restoring my N3DS XL system the way I like it, I just want to be absolutely sure I do not lose all the stuff I've actually bought, preferably without needing to call Nintendo for support.

Dinomite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi!

I've been out of the loop for a long while and looking to get back into the 3DS scene. I'm a little overwhelmed with all the progress that has been made over the past year I was hoping someone would be able advise me on what the best course I should take for updating my 3DS.

Here's a run down of what I have:

I'm a Gateway user using an O3DS with SysNAND at 4.5 and emuNAND at 10.3
I can't remember which version of the Gateway Launcher I'm running but I'm pretty sure it's ver 3.4.1

I'm hoping someone can recommend to me what the best action I should take. I'm completely out of the loop with Arm9Loader and pretty much all the CFW. Is it advisable to install a9lh and CFW? Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Cheers!!

Last edited by Dinomite,

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi!

I've been out of the loop for a long while and looking to get back into the 3DS scene. I'm a little overwhelmed with all the progress that has been made over the past year I was hoping someone would be able advise me on what the best course I should take for updating my 3DS.

Here's a run down of what I have:

I'm a Gateway user using an O3DS with SysNAND at 4.5 and emuNAND at 10.3
I can't remember which version of the Gateway Launcher I'm running but I'm pretty sure it's ver 3.4.1

I'm hoping someone can recommend to me what the best action I should take. I'm completely out of the loop with Arm9Loader and pretty much all the CFW. Is it advisable to install a9lh and CFW? Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Cheers!!

Hi, I can answer this.

The process for you should be pretty straight forward, follow the Plailect guide as normal starting from the 4.x section of Part 1 - Decrypt 9 (preferably the Browser method since you do not require a Flashcart or hacked DS profile)
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Decrypt9)

As you follow the guide, during the third part where you install A9LH, you will have the option of moving your Gateway emuNAND into your A9LH sysNAND.
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Move-RedNAND
There are three important things to know for Gateway users moving to A9LH + Luma 3DS.

1. It is possible to run Gateway mode alongside Luma 3DS. This is done by using Gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin file with Luma 3DS' ability to chain payloads.
Read https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/ for full details about this.
Yes, you'll be able to run Gateway mode directly from Sysnand, I recommend that you update the Gateway launcher to the 4.1 beta firmware for the A9LH support as well.
Gateway mode isn't as stable as Luma 3DS, but it does mean being able to use the rom selector and features like their real-time menu for cheat codes.

It is possible to transfer save games from your Gateway Red Card to games installed to the SD card from CIAs.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/importing-gateway-saves-to-cia-games.425743/
This means it will be possible to transfer all of your save games to the 3DS system itself, you can effectively eliminate the use of your Red Card if you want to.

3. Gateway does not yet support 3DS firmware 11.1!
Once you've installed A9LH + Luma, it's perfectly safe to update your sysNAND from what will be 10.3, up to 11.1 (just remember to perform this update in Luma mode, and never in Gateway mode.)
If you update the 3DS firmware to 11.1, you will not be able to use the Gateway rom selector. If you want to continue using your GW Red Card, wait until Gateway release an 11.1 compatible launcher (if they ever do).

Once you've set this all up, I recommend you stick to using Luma mode from then on unless you've specific need of Gateway features.
Luma is much more stable and reliable, makes DSiWare/GBA game installation easy with only needing to install it to a single SysNAND, and also makes region free game launching possible (though your system does not become regionless).

Reactions: Dinomite

michelb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the quick reply (I thought that "Format System Memory" was actually more of a "Reset to Factory" and applied the latest firmware).

Just to follow up to anyone who might be in the same situation, "Format System Memory" doesn't reset you hax but if does re-init your home screen so any cias you install are gone (e.g. FBI, HB, LumaUpdater as well as any games).

Reactions: dan0f3

dan0f3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply (I thought that "Format System Memory" was actually more of a "Reset to Factory" and applied the latest firmware).

Formatting the system memory for the settings menu should remove the associate NNID according to Nintendo's support site. That said, it should not have anything to do with the helping or hindering the A9LH in the Plailect guide. I formatted to help with the actual 9.2 downgrade step. What I'm not sure of is if can you format after you are all done with the guide without it harming the system. I'm all noobly too so I'm not yet to the NNID bit yet.

michelb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Formatting the system memory for the settings menu should remove the associate NNID according to Nintendo's support site. That said, it should not have anything to do with the helping or hindering the A9LH in the Plailect guide. I formatted to help with the actual 9.2 downgrade step. What I'm not sure of is if can you format after you are all done with the guide without it harming the system. I'm all noobly too so I'm not yet to the NNID bit yet.

To answer your question, after a "Format System Memory", you have to redo some of Part3.

Dinomite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I can answer this.

The process for you should be pretty straight forward, follow the Plailect guide as normal starting from the 4.x section of Part 1 - Decrypt 9 (preferably the Browser method since you do not require a Flashcart or hacked DS profile)
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Decrypt9)

As you follow the guide, during the third part where you install A9LH, you will have the option of moving your Gateway emuNAND into your A9LH sysNAND.
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Move-RedNAND
There are three important things to know for Gateway users moving to A9LH + Luma 3DS.

1. It is possible to run Gateway mode alongside Luma 3DS. This is done by using Gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin file with Luma 3DS' ability to chain payloads.
Read https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/ for full details about this.
Yes, you'll be able to run Gateway mode directly from Sysnand, I recommend that you update the Gateway launcher to the 4.1 beta firmware for the A9LH support as well.
Gateway mode isn't as stable as Luma 3DS, but it does mean being able to use the rom selector and features like their real-time menu for cheat codes.

It is possible to transfer save games from your Gateway Red Card to games installed to the SD card from CIAs.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/importing-gateway-saves-to-cia-games.425743/
This means it will be possible to transfer all of your save games to the 3DS system itself, you can effectively eliminate the use of your Red Card if you want to.

3. Gateway does not yet support 3DS firmware 11.1!
Once you've installed A9LH + Luma, it's perfectly safe to update your sysNAND from what will be 10.3, up to 11.1 (just remember to perform this update in Luma mode, and never in Gateway mode.)
If you update the 3DS firmware to 11.1, you will not be able to use the Gateway rom selector. If you want to continue using your GW Red Card, wait until Gateway release an 11.1 compatible launcher (if they ever do).

Once you've set this all up, I recommend you stick to using Luma mode from then on unless you've specific need of Gateway features.
Luma is much more stable and reliable, makes DSiWare/GBA game installation easy with only needing to install it to a single SysNAND, and also makes region free game launching possible (though your system does not become regionless).
That's awesome! Thanks so much for that! This really helps. Just a quick question for clarity, if I want to run Gateway Mode alongside Luma 3DS, I should just stay on the 10.3 firmware once A9LH + Luma 3DS have been moved to sysNAND?
Thanks again!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm using an 11.1 O3DS as my modded system to transfer the exploited DSiWare title. Does it matter that the source system is a higher firmware than the destination system? I'm also aware that I'll need to use CTR-HTTPWN on the destination system, but I've already been using that.
Usually the two systems would have to both be on the latest firmware, but if ctr-httpwn works, then you're fine.
The 11.1 O3DS has a large number of titles installed on it which were not purchased from the eShop but installed by another means, what will happen to these titles on the destination system, as well as the source system after I restore its NAND to its pre-transfer condition?
They will not appear. You can make them appear after you have installed a9lh on the target system by installing their tickets.

The 11.1 O3DS does not have an NNID, does this stop me from buying Fieldrunners for the downgrade exploit on the destination system?
Nope, you can buy FieldRunners and do a system transfer fine, as long as the target console does not have an NNID (if it does, you will have to format it).
Since I will be formatting my 11.0 N3DS XL with its current NNID, after I have finished installing the A9LH exploit + Luma 3DS, I want to confirm that I'll:
Re-associate my NNID with the new post-formatting NAND
If you mean can you sign back into your NNID after formatting, yes. Only if you do a system transfer you can't sign back in with it again (it will be linked to another console).

Be able to re-download my purchased eShop games, DLC and themes
Same as above

Restore save games and extra data from my pre-formatting NAND which were extracted using JK's Save Manager, including stuff like StreetPass Mii Plaza, Nintendo Badge Arcade and my personal Mii.
No. When you format, this is all erased. You'd have to restore the pre-formatting NAND for this. (So hardmod downgrade is the only way to retain this stuff, since it doesn't require formatting - or, have a spare N3DS so you can system transfer onto it, wait seven days, do the DSiWare downgrade, wait another seven days, then transfer back from the spare N3DS).

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: RupeeClock

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's awesome! Thanks so much for that! This really helps. Just a quick question for clarity, if I want to run Gateway Mode alongside Luma 3DS, I should just stay on the 10.3 firmware once A9LH + Luma 3DS have been moved to sysNAND?
Thanks again!
That's right, just stay on the 10.3 firmware once you've set it all up.
Long term, I recommend you ultimately update to 11.1 firmware when you are able to, be it you've finished what you wanna do with Gateway mode, or Gateway update their launcher to support 11.1.

Usually the two systems would have to both be on the latest firmware, but if ctr-httpwn works, then you're fine.
They will not appear. You can make them appear after you have installed a9lh on the target system by installing their tickets.

Nope, you can buy FieldRunners and do a system transfer fine, as long as the target console does not have an NNID (if it does, you will have to format it).
If you mean can you sign back into your NNID after formatting, yes. Only if you do a system transfer you can't sign back in with it again (it will be linked to another console).

Same as above

No. When you format, this is all erased. You'd have to restore the pre-formatting NAND for this. (So hardmod downgrade is the only way to retain this stuff, since it doesn't require formatting - or, have a spare N3DS so you can system transfer onto it, wait seven days, do the DSiWare downgrade, wait another seven days, then transfer back from the spare N3DS).

That's good then, it sounds like I'll be able to perform the transfer and downgrade without complication.
That said, I don't want the source-system profile to remain on my destination system afterwards. Once I have successfully installed A9LH + Luma 3DS, is it safe to perform a format from System Settings in Luma 3DS so my N3DS XL has a separate profile, and proceed with NNID sign-in from there?
Or does perform a format remove the A9LH exploit?

Since it's not possible to get a pre-format NAND backup for my N3DS XL, that means I've no choice but to abandon my save data for StreetPass Mii Plaza and Nintendo Badge Arcade then? That'll sting, but I think I'll be okay with that.
Hmm, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try, but since I just backed up my extra data from my N3DS XL, I'll try restoring it on my O3DS and see what happens.

Thanks very much for the response.

Reactions: Dinomite

Dinomite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's right, just stay on the 10.3 firmware once you've set it all up.
Long term, I recommend you ultimately update to 11.1 firmware when you are able to, be it you've finished what you wanna do with Gateway mode, or Gateway update their launcher to support 11.1.
That's great! Thanks again RupeeClock!

Woollymammoth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
plz help. I went through the entire Plailect Guide almost to the end. I made it to. Section V - Injecting FBI. When I put the two files into the input folder and click go.bat, there seem to be errors in the pop-up.

The only thing that happens is a work folder shows up.

In the work folder is a "dummy_romfs" folder and a new hs.app file.

I can't seem to generate the "FBI_inject_with_banner.app" which I need to proceed. I tried using this hs.app file, but heath and saftey is still normal.

Update: the universal inject generator is not working. I found this one instead, and it worked
https://github.com/Shadowtrance/Universal-Inject-Generator-Csharp/releases

Last edited by Woollymammoth,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
plz help. I went through the entire Plailect Guide almost to the end. I made it to. Section V - Injecting FBI. When I put the two files into the input folder and click go.bat, there seem to be errors in the pop-up.

I can't seem to generate the "FBI_inject_with_banner.app" which I need to proceed. I tried using this hs.app file, but heath and saftey is still normal.

Update: the universal inject generator is not working. I found this one instead, and it worked
Try running as administrator

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello, i am new to 3ds scene, originally i have new3ds which was on 10.7.0-32 U, then successfully downgraded to 9.2.0 U.

Then i am stucked at Plailect guide #2 which is ctrtransfer 2.1.0 - at step#3.
unnamed%20(1).jpg
anybody knows how to fix this?

thanks

Are you sure you downgraded OK? Try running the 9.2 downgrade again to be sure you have a clean 9.2.

Or use this tool (runs from homebrew menu) to check it:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/potenti...after-downgrading.410075/page-10#post-6006406

The FBI_with_Banner.app will be in the root of the program (where you click "go.bat")

sthetix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Are you sure you downgraded OK? Try running the 9.2 downgrade again to be sure you have a clean 9.2.

Or use this tool (runs from homebrew menu) to check it:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/potenti...after-downgrading.410075/page-10#post-6006406

The FBI_with_Banner.app will be in the root of the program (where you click "go.bat")

Here's decrypt9wip log :

Initializing SD card... success
Build: Decrypt9WIP (2016/08/23)
Work directory: /files9
Game directory: /files9
sector0x96 Key: otp.bin not found
0x03 KeyX & KeyY: already set up
0x05 KeyY: already set up
0x25 KeyX: already set up
0x18 KeyX: already set up
0x1B KeyX: loaded, verified, set up
0x24 KeyY: automatically set up
Finalizing Initialization...

Initialization: success!

You selected [Auto CTRNAND Transfer].

This feature writes to the SysNAND.
This may overwrite important data!

If you wish to proceed, enter:
<Left>, <Up>, <Right>, <Up>, <A>

(B to return, START to reboot)

Selected: [Auto CTRNAND Transfer]
A9LH not detected, checking FIRM0...
Select CTRNAND transfer image
Use arrow keys and <A> to choose a file
2.1.0-4U_ctrtransfer_o3ds.bin
Image size is: 794624000 byte

Step #0: Optional NAND backup
Press <B> to skip and continue without backup
Dumping SysNAND. Size (MB): 1240
Use arrow keys and <A> to choose a name
(cancelled by user)

Step #1: .SHA verification of CTRNAND image...
Checking hash from .SHA file...
Step #1 success!

Step #2: Dumping transfer files
Searching for SecureInfo_A...
Found at 0E788000, size 273b
Creating B95C44CF_SecureInfo_A ...
Searching for movable.sed...
Found at 0E748000, size 320b
Creating B95C44CF_movable.sed ...
Searching for LocalFriendCodeSeed_B...
Found at 0E6D0000, size 272b
Creating B95C44CF_LocalFriendCodeSeed_B ...
Searching for configsave.bin...
Found at 0F258000, size 256kB
Creating B95C44CF_configsave.bin ...
Step #2 success!

Step #3: Injecting CTRNAND transfer image
Switching out NAND header first...
Auto CTRNAND Transfer: failed!

Press B to return, START to reboot.

Here's downgrade check log :

[MISMATCHED VERSIONS]

TitleID Vers: Expected Installed Description

0004009b00010602 00002 01024 Non-Nintendo TLS Root-CA Certificates CFA
0004013000001b02 02048 03073 GPIO system-module
0004013000001a02 05120 06145 DSP system-module

[EXTRA TITLES]

TitleID Vers. Description

0004003000009e02 01031 amiibo Settings

[MISSING TITLES]

Last edited by sthetix,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
everything is found on the luma github somewhere. Why exactly are you using save manager though? It's the worst option for backing up and restoring save data, especially when you have cfw, and can install another one (like jksv).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, that will work.
I love save_manager. It's the simplest of the save managers, and requires no learning.
Even when I learned how SVDT worked, I still used save_manager sometimes due to its simplicity.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000x using Tapatalk

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Here's downgrade check log :

[MISMATCHED VERSIONS]

TitleID Vers: Expected Installed Description

0004009b00010602 00002 01024 Non-Nintendo TLS Root-CA Certificates CFA
0004013000001b02 02048 03073 GPIO system-module
0004013000001a02 05120 06145 DSP system-module

[EXTRA TITLES]

0004003000009e02 01031 amiibo Settings

[MISSING TITLES]

There shouldn't be any mismatched versions.

Run the downgrader again in the 9.2-downgrade page.

After try again.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looking into the matter, there seems to be truly no way to backup StreetPass Mii Plaza and Mii Maker save data, without being able to back up the NAND or have arm9 access like a .CIA installed JKSM.

That leaves me a quite a crossroads. I don't want to lose years worth of StreetPass progress, but if I forsook it I could proceed with the 11.0 firmware downgrade and A9LH installation.

I can't help but wonder if there's no kind of unique attach that could dump System Save Data. Say like, HANS-booting a System Title with an exploit that dumps System Saves as they are loaded by the 3DS.
Probably a pipe dream though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/vtGSfyI8VUk