• Views 4,463,647
  • Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

camochase

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure about what you call a softmoded 3DS.
If you mean no risk for bricking 3DS system, i think playing on emunand with a custom firmware is what ou are looking for.

But it needs few operations to perform this. Not that hard, but keep focus on tutorials.

EDIT : You are maybe talking about DS games and not 3DS games. I don't think it's possible yet without flash cart.
when i said softmodded i meant a 3ds with cfw and yeah i was talking old school ds games

ItsVoid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alright so, my friend has an Old 3DSXL on 4.5 and has a Sky3DS.
How would he go install rxTools / EmuNAND the easiest way?

CLOUD9RED

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
For now, never update past 9.2 or 10.3 system version

Hax doesn't work past 9.6 or 9.9 (i don't remember, but stay in 9.2, it's better, no joke)

9.2 is used to run all the hacks, 10.3 is the last systeme version that can be downgraded.

Keep 9.2 if it's already installed, if not, you will have to update to 10.3 (DO NOT USE UPDATE IN PARAMETERS since it update until 10.5 today) and then downgrade to 9.2.

1st, let us know which version is used by the 2DS you want to buy

Edit : if you know what a CIA are, you might have already seen some tutorials or something :D

yeah, some tutorials I saw; I was just interested in the very first start what to do. But first I'm curious what version is installed, my thought is 10.3... (but I hope 9.2)
Patience is a virtue :D

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Virtue is the last reward

Do you want to acquire a gateway, a sky 3DS, or no flashcart at all ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Quick question :

I used my gateway on my new 3DS for the 1st time yesterday.

Before performing anything on the SD cart, there was already a Launcher.Dat file at the root of the SD card.
what is that ? i thought it was specific to gateway, but it was already present.

idn

Trophies
XP
Country
To avoid sysnand update, you have to never turn on wifi on sysnand.
Anyway, if you do, you will be prompted for update some time, probably 1 time/boot on average.
If you click yes, i'm pretty sure that it leads to system settings that again asks to confirm the update. (could someone can confirm that ?).

When on emunand, you can have your wifi turned On with no problem.
That, and also I don't believe there's any downside to keeping wifi on on sysNAND. It downloaded Pokemon Picross for me when I wasn't looking, but other than that and occasional nag screens telling you to update it's all fine. And this way you can always reinstall menuhax if you delete it by mistake like I did.

So, any way of checking which version of rxTools am I running? Not that it's that important, everything works like it should and I'll update to 3.0 when it comes out, but I'd like to know nonetheless. ;)

-- edit --

Oh, and one more thing - I'm curious about updating menuhax when that time comes. Are there any plans of a new version that doesn't hang on the yellow screen once in a blue moon?

Last edited by idn,

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I had a period where always avoided turning ON wifi, too much sacred about update.

Now, since i often use ftp serveur homebrew, which runs with sysNand network connexion, i don't give fuck anymore :D

circlepit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey, im kinda confused
I got:
-A Gateway 3DS
-3DS with SysNAND/FW 4.4
-EmuNAND on 9.2
-Pokemon X retail card

I read some articles including the guide on this forum aswell about savegame issue with card2 games because of a encryption.
I WANT to stay on FW 4.4 and use the offline exploit.
I start a new game on my 3DS with 4.4, i know i cant play on sysnad because it gets updated with pokemon right?
But can i play Pokemon on another 3DS with a new FW. I want to get a new3DS soon and i dont want to lose my save if i play pokemon on it.
So if i start on FW 4.4 with Emunand on 9.2 can i play it on my new3DS and will it still work with my 3DS after?
I know that there is this encryption issue but i honestly dont udnerstand it, no matter how much i read about it.
So did Gateway fix this, that it works fluently?
There is an option to unlink SysNAND and emuNAND ,wil it work then?
Feel free to explain it to me, thanks for any help in advance

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First of all, thanks for all the help guys, you're really the best.

And now another stupid question - how do I check which version of rxTools do I have? I'm using the one packed with emuNAND for the "literally retarded" guide.

I'm interested in that question too (sorry for click bait notification)

You don't. You have to remember which version you downloaded.

Oh, and one more thing - I'm curious about updating menuhax when that time comes. Are there any plans of a new version that doesn't hang on the yellow screen once in a blue moon?

That is just the nature of all hax, it's most likely not going to be 100% stable for a while.

ViolentRockstar

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Question:

I've heard things about "Gateway Launcher" and that it'd be able to downgrade your firmware. I own an O3ds on fw 10.5 and am pretty new to this stuff. I've installed browserhax and menuhax. Could somebody explain what "Gateway Launcher" does and how to install it? I've been searching but haven't really been able to find a noob-tutorial yet. Thanks in advance!

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, im kinda confused
I got:
-A Gateway 3DS
-3DS with SysNAND/FW 4.4
-EmuNAND on 9.2
-Pokemon X retail card

I read some articles including the guide on this forum aswell about savegame issue with card2 games because of a encryption.
I WANT to stay on FW 4.4 and use the offline exploit.
I start a new game on my 3DS with 4.4, i know i cant play on sysnad because it gets updated with pokemon right?
But can i play Pokemon on another 3DS with a new FW. I want to get a new3DS soon and i dont want to lose my save if i play pokemon on it.
So if i start on FW 4.4 with Emunand on 9.2 can i play it on my new3DS and will it still work with my 3DS after?
I know that there is this encryption issue but i honestly dont udnerstand it, no matter how much i read about it.
Feel free to explain it to me, thanks for any help in advance

Yes it would most likely update from your cart.

You aren't losing your save if you have a retail cart.

I have no idea what you're talking about here, what are you using to play it? Emunand? Sysnand? If I read this right, obviously you're playing it in Emunand so OBVIOUSLY it's going to work with your new3ds.

That doesn't really apply to you because you're playing your retail cart on 9.2 Emunand.

So did they fix it? Kinda.

Your nands are already unlinked. So does it work?

Question:

I've heard things about "Gateway Launcher" and that it'd be able to downgrade your firmware. I own an O3ds on fw 10.5 and am pretty new to this stuff. I've installed browserhax and menuhax. Could somebody explain what "Gateway Launcher" does and how to install it? I've been searching but haven't really been able to find a noob-tutorial yet. Thanks in advance!

Here is a post from the official gateway website.

Currently there exist homebrew methods to downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2, allowing you to use your Gateway card already.
But the downgrade method is not recommended as it is error prone, dangerous and can lead to bricking.
We would like to provide our users with a more safe method, and this is one of the things we are working on.

This means you SHOULD NOT upgrade past 10.3, as you will miss the boat as they say.

The only way you can downgrade is if you have a hardmod.

I don't think browserhax and menuhax work for 10.5?

They do.

Jonesy123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Help Needed,
Foolishly I decided to change the theme on my emunand. Downloaded a cia, installed it and changed. Now when I turn my machine on, menuhax no longer loads. My nands were linked, which I think has caused the problem. I unlinked them, but I can now no longer load menuhax to access rxtools. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Help Needed,
Foolishly I decided to change the theme on my emunand. Downloaded a cia, installed it and changed. Now when I turn my machine on, menuhax no longer loads. My nands were linked, which I think has caused the problem. I unlinked them, but I can now no longer load menuhax to access rxtools. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Did you try reinstalling menuhax?

Jonesy123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate to ask, but's it's been a long time since I installed rxtools. Is there a simple way to reinstall menuhax, and get it to recognise rxtools. Most of the tutorials I'm looking at require starting from scratch and formatting sd card etc. Really I'd like to keep all the data on my sd card.

Again, thanks for any help.

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hate to ask, but's it's been a long time since I installed rxtools. Is there a simple way to reinstall menuhax, and get it to recognise rxtools. Most of the tutorials I'm looking at require starting from scratch and formatting sd card etc. Really I'd like to keep all the data on my sd card.

Again, thanks for any help.

All you really needed to do was to reinstall menuhax, which just includes getting into Homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work