• Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1. Once on 9.2 check out https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/
2. It is a copy of your system which runs off the SD card, and can be updated while keeping your real system at an exploitable firmware, so you can use the eShop and play new games.
3. Everything should be installed to emuNAND unless it specifically says to sysNAND. This will be system titles. Anything installed to sysNAND needs to be done carefully and fully following your tutorial.
4. Everything can be installed to emuNAND, some CIAs may need some tweaking if they require 9.6+ firmware (only on n3ds). Some CIAs are required to be installed on sysNAND for their intended purpose to be fulfilled.
5. Rxtools.
6. Don't install things on sysNAND unless you're carefully following a tutorial (brick risk). Don't update unless doing it properly (brick risk if by sysupdater, sysNAND update risk otherwise). Don't visit data management on linked emuNAND/sysNAND (CIAs may be wiped).
Thanks for the quick answer! What about #7? I probably edited the post after you quoted me haha
Also, what is this about linked/unlinked emuNAND and sysNAND?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for the quick answer! What about #7? I probably edited the post after you quoted me haha
Also, what is this about linked/unlinked emuNAND and sysNAND?
7. I am not sure. I do know that a U.S. version of Triforce Heroes wouldn't let me use local play.

About linked/unlinked: By default your nands are linked. This means you can see titles installed in either, in both. And when you go into emuNAND, all your CIAs will be wrapped like you just installed them and have to be unwrapped. There's very little benefit in leaving them linked; in addition to the wrapped thing menuhax won't work properly. One benefit is you only have to install GBA games once instead of twice.

To unlink, you boot into sysNAND, take out your SD card, find format system in Settings. Let it do its thing then put your SD card back in after it restarts. Now all those bugs are gone.

Reactions: Lycan911

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
7. I am not sure. I do know that a U.S. version of Triforce Heroes wouldn't let me use local play.

About linked/unlinked: By default your nands are linked. This means you can see titles installed in either, in both. And when you go into emuNAND, all your CIAs will be wrapped like you just installed them and have to be unwrapped. There's very little benefit in leaving them linked; in addition to the wrapped thing menuhax won't work properly. One benefit is you only have to install GBA games once instead of twice.

To unlink, you boot into sysNAND, take out your SD card, find format system in Settings. Let it do its thing then put your SD card back in after it restarts. Now all those bugs are gone.
So it is recommended to unlink them? Any risks of doing it?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
please can anyone tell me how to update my sysnand to 9.0 or 9.2 i have an o3ds xl and rxtools 2.6
Get sysupdater.cia and install it in your sysNAND. Find the o3ds 9.2 update pack from "that" website and put them in an updates folder on your SD card. Then boot into DevMode or Pasta Mode (NOT rxMode!!!!), launch sysupdater and tell it to update. It has a bit of info on the screen before you update, so just read that and make sure you've done what it says. If you can't find DevMode or Pasta Mode in the options, you might need to try a different build of rxtools, I can't remember right now which ones have it and don't have it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So it is recommended to unlink them? Any risks of doing it?
Two risks. 1. You forget to take out the SD card and it gets wiped (you should be making regular backups anyway). Or 2. You do it on emuNAND and lose all your stuff (most people have all their stuff, NNID, MiiPlaza etc, on emuNAND). You can also unlink by doing the same thing but with emuNAND, if for some reason you keep all your stuff on sysNAND.

Reactions: Lycan911

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
is there a way to trigger menuhax from home screen without using other *hax (browserhax, etc)
for now if I want to access homebrew launcher, I need to reboot the 3ds and hold L button. so I was wondering if there is an easier way, such as by opening theme settings or something like that?

BTW I have a GW card. so if there is a .3ds file for homebrew launcher, that would be nice

edit.
just found out about this https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader
so that means it is possible to launch homebrew launcher from CIA?
I don't want to install CIA on my sysNAND, but it should be possible for someone to build a .3ds file from this right?

Last edited by Garou,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit:

7. Can I install NA/JP CIAs on my EU console? Will I be able to play online with out of region games?
yup thats fine and if by chance they dont run that way you can use hans (a hbc app) or NTR (a cfw you can run on top of other cfws to add its features to your existing cfw)

is there a way to trigger menuhax from home screen without using other *hax (browserhax, etc)
for now if I want to access homebrew launcher, I need to reboot the 3ds and hold L button. so I was wondering if there is an easier way, such as by opening theme settings or something like that?

BTW I have a GW card. so if there is a .3ds file for homebrew launcher, that would be nice
enter the system settings app and exiting it will trigger your theme to boot, hence another opportunity to use menuhax

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: Lycan911 and Garou

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
yup thats ine and if by chance they dont run that way you can use hans (a hbc app) or NTR (a cfw you can run on top of other cfws to add its features to your existing cfw)

enter the system settings app and exiting it will trigger your theme to boot, hence another opportunity to use menuhax
awesome, thanks man. tried and it works

DarK_DragoN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I bought a N3DS some time ago, right the day before 10.2 arrived, and I didn't do a system transfer because I didn't want to lose menuhax or browserhax. Now that both are available on 10.3 and a new way to downgrade is coming, I want to do the transfer before 10.4 is here. However, before I do that I want to confirm some things.
1) Using PC based transfer, everything (saves, games, etc) is transferred, right?
2) Do I need to uninstall menuhax before updating N3DS (now it's on 9.7) or before I transfer?
3) Can I access eShop and games that require NNID on emuNAND 9.5? How?
4) To update emuNAND to 9.5 I just need to download the update package from that iso site and install then, right? Is there anything that I need to do to avoid bricking it?
5) What's the recommended CFW for N3DS?

If possible, link me to tutorials so that I can know what to expect when memchunkhax comes. Thanks in advance.

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country

There's a CIA launcher for homebrew, which you can install and use. Obviously it only works with signatures patched, so you need to use it on emunand or GW Classic mode / RX-tools Pasta Mode or equivalent

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
There's a CIA launcher for homebrew, which you can install and use. Obviously it only works with signatures patched, so you need to use it on emunand or GW Classic mode / RX-tools Pasta Mode or equivalent
I've edited my original post stating that if possible I'd prefer a .3ds file
but wormdood has given me a better solution though. thanks for answering anyway

DarK_DragoN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I bought a N3DS some time ago, right the day before 10.2 arrived, and I didn't do a system transfer because I didn't want to lose menuhax or browserhax. Now that both are available on 10.3 and a new way to downgrade is coming, I want to do the transfer before 10.4 is here. However, before I do that I want to confirm some things.
1) Using PC based transfer, everything (saves, games, etc) is transferred, right?
2) Do I need to uninstall menuhax before updating N3DS (now it's on 9.7) or before I transfer?
3) Can I access eShop and games that require NNID on emuNAND 9.5? How?
4) To update emuNAND to 9.5 I just need to download the update package from that iso site and install then, right? Is there anything that I need to do to avoid bricking it?
5) What's the recommended CFW for N3DS?

If possible, link me to tutorials so that I can know what to expect when memchunkhax comes. Thanks in advance.

Anyone?

ZerOneX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It can be useful if you are setting it up for a friend or relative that doesn't understand 3DS hacking, as it is less likely they'll accidentally update since they are unlikely to be able to access sysNAND (especially if you pay attention to when a new firmware is released - and either update emuNAND properly or remove the update nag).

You may have a fake SD card. Did you buy it online? Nearly all SD cards on eBay are fakes, as well as from third-party sellers on Amazon (real Amazon would usually be OK). You can test it out by downloading h2testw (it's a German program - so don't worry about the language on the website, in the actual program you can switch it to English). Backup anything already on the card (or it will be wiped), then choose the read & write option and let it do its thing. It'll take a few hours. Let it completely finish or the results will be inaccurate. When it's done it will tell you if the card is fake or not. Being fake means that the card will appear like it's got 64GB but it only has maybe 16GB, and anything written further than the real 16GB will be corrupted/missing (it actually gets written onto your hard drive).

Edit: Try formatting as Fat32 and see if that fixes it before doing the above.

You can't system transfer from N3DS -> O3DS.

Guys, check this out...

The media is likely to be defective.
7.6 GByte OK (15987392 sectors)
54.8 GByte DATA LOST (115076416 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
54.8 GByte corrupted (115076416 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x00000001e7e58000
Expected: 0x00000001e7e58000
Found: 0x0000000000000000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 15.2 MByte/s
Reading speed: 13.6 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

It seems you were right... the SD card show 64gb, but it is 8gb instead... :(.... crazy Chineses ahahahah

Gonna buy one real 128gb on amazon then :(... lost lot of roms cuz I did not do any backup and move the roms from my hd to this crappy sd

Reactions: Quantumcat

NateM135

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone pm with help regarding slot0x25KeyX.bin?
Trying to install cfw on a 6.x 2ds, and have no clue what to do here. Also some clarification with md5 would be nice.

GRINSPANKER13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question regarding cia's.
I know you need to generate the xorpads to convert 3ds to cia.
I have installed CFW on 3 different devices.
Currently, I generate the xorpads and convert the 3ds to cia 3 different times, once for each device.
Do I need to generate the xorpads on each device, and then convert the files?
Or, do I just need to use one device and then I can install the cia on all 3?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I have a question regarding cia's.
I know you need to generate the xorpads to convert 3ds to cia.
I have installed CFW on 3 different devices.
Currently, I generate the xorpads and convert the 3ds to cia 3 different times, once for each device.
Do I need to generate the xorpads on each device, and then convert the files?
Or, do I just need to use one device and then I can install the cia on all 3?
You can install the same cia on multiple consoles.

Reactions: GRINSPANKER13

dsdork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for all the help in this thread so far, I have learned a ton.

Question set 1: n3DS on 9.0.0-20U

I just finished setting up a n3DS 9.0-9-2 using this tutorial.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...ncluding-emunand-coldboot-cia-manager.405589/

I have unlinked sys and emunands and have a couple of older cia based roms loading fine. I haven't don't any system updates at all so I have 9.0.0-20U and RX-E 9.0.0-20U.
  • should I update my emunand? how?
  • is there any way to load .3ds files instead of .cia files (I only have a mac so converting looks like a pain)
  • anything else I should consider like big blue menu or anything else that will make it easier for my kid to use/ not wreck it?
Question set 2: o3DS (one XL, one not) on 4.5 with genuine Gateways

I never setup emunand on these and need to do some updates. I've been reading around here that I should update them to 9.0.0-20U. Should I do this?
  • anything I should know about updating the gateway cards and setting up emunamd? Know a good tutorial for this?
  • Do I need bigger internal microSD cards?
  • Will it nuke my kids' saves when I do this?
Question set 3 making them similar
  • any advice on making the n3DS and o3DS function similarly like the same kind of launching? This isn't a huge deal but would be cool
  • I'l prefer to only mange .3ds or .cias but not both. It isn't the end of the world if I have to deal with both.
Thanks again for helping an old timer!

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Hey guys, recently got back to my 3DS with my good old Gateway... I saw there is homebrew now?
I want to use the GBA emulator, can anyone help me with setting it up?
Thanks in advance

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__