• Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So quick question:

I got a New nintendo 3DS xl on Ver. 9.5.0-22E.

What I want to be able to do is play all 3DS games even the ones not from my region.

What are my options???

qweblim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The main choice in whether to go with .3ds or .cia is really which card you want to put it on. Other minor issues include .3ds games needing to be closed in order for your save file to be written out, and the need to apply a private header to .3ds files to go online (which you can obtain from your copy of Cubic Ninja or any other retail game without any extra hardware), and a bit of battery drain from using the Gateway card. That's really about it for differences.

Thanks for your reply! If I go the CIA route for all my games, would I need to worry about headers on them too? Or is that a general thing that either .3ds file or .cia files require to be done? Would a Cubic Ninja header work for a game like Super Smash Bros or Pokemon online?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So quick question:

I got a New nintendo 3DS xl on Ver. 9.5.0-22E.

What I want to be able to do is play all 3DS games even the ones not from my region.

What are my options???
I believe Sky3DS only allows games from your region to run. Being past 9.2, I also believe you are past the requirements for Ninjhax and RegionThree/RegionFour. You might want to look into those in more detail, but if you are unable to run them, then your only option at this point would be to sell your system and purchase one on a lower System Version. It is impossible to know when or if a new exploit will be discovered and released.

Thanks for your reply! If I go the CIA route for all my games, would I need to worry about headers on them too? Or is that a general thing that either .3ds file or .cia files require to be done? Would a Cubic Ninja header work for a game like Super Smash Bros or Pokemon online?
.CIA titles do not have a header, they use your console ID as a unique identifier instead. So you wouldn't have to worry about headers there. Card IDs are unique, and you do not need to match a Card ID to the title it came from, so one from ANY retail game (such as Cubic Ninja) can be used with ANY .3ds rom. You can use the same header (which contains the Card ID) for ALL your files, you just can't have the same Card ID online twice at the same time. I'm personally using one from Etrian Odyssey IV, and have yet to have any issues with Pokemon, Monster Hunter, or any other game.

Reactions: qweblim

qweblim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I believe Sky3DS only allows games from your region to run. Being past 9.2, I also believe you are past the requirements for Ninjhax and RegionThree/RegionFour. You might want to look into those in more detail, but if you are unable to run them, then your only option at this point would be to sell your system and purchase one on a lower System Version. It is impossible to know when or if a new exploit will be discovered and released.

.CIA titles do not have a header, they use your console ID as a unique identifier instead. So you wouldn't have to worry about headers there. Card IDs are unique, and you do not need to match a Card ID to the title it came from, so one from ANY retail game (such as Cubic Ninja) can be used with ANY .3ds rom. You can use the same header (which contains the Card ID) for ALL your files, you just can't have the same Card ID online twice at the same time. I'm personally using one from Etrian Odyssey IV, and have yet to have any issues with Pokemon, Monster Hunter, or any other game.
Ah wow! Thanks a bunch. That has helped me out a TON, especially since searching couldn't answer my questions. Thanks again!

Rick Astley

The real one !
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi ! 1 month ago, I bought an 3DS with a very nice firmware... Or not : 7.1.0-4E (yep european)

After readig tutorials, I wanted to downgrade my 3DS in order to install some CFW and to have the rxtools unsigned. So I started and I got the fatal Error 0001001.

I've search on the Internet and I found 2 problems : The first one is because of the 3DS didn't have any update with wi-fi. Looking for 3Dnus etc but don't have the gateway... But the other problem is because of the firmware X-4E (yeah so unlucky.) After checking with a nice help, my ORAS can updgrade to 7.2.0-4E and Smash updgrade to 8.1.0-4E

I'm asking this because i don't want to spend a lot of money in a gateway / sky / cubic ninja because I only want to play some hack of Pokémon 6G Games OR extract some saves. Nothing incredible.

Any help ? Thank you !

Cherrysa

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a 3DS to that version9.4.0-21.

I know that 9.3... and 9.5... aren't compatible with Gateway 3ds, but what about 9.4?

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What tool did you use? I know Katsu's 3ds to cia converter supports download play.

Just gave that a run, and I can't get it to build a working cia (or any cia for that matter). Tried 2.07, as well as jumped back a few versions to 2.05, just in case it was something that got broken with updates...other tools that i've tried are 3ds Lazy (generates working cia's, but I can't get it to deal with download play correctly even though it claims to support it) and queno's pack (same issue with that one, can't get it to generate an output). For whatever it's worth, i was running it straight from the folder as it was named in the C drive, and I made sure that none of the filepaths contained spaces (I know sometimes this causes some issues, even though in this day and age, if everything's correctly set up, it honestly shouldn't).

mrbits

Trophies
XP
Country
Use 3DNUS to download the files, then install the them with a CIA installer such as FBI. Make a backup of your emunand with the emunand tool first, just in case something goes wrong.

Steps:

In 3DNUS, enter 9.5.0-23 into the title ID field, and USA, JAP, or EUR into version field, depending on your N3DS region. Select "new 3ds" radio button. Leave "change version numbers to" unticked. Make sure "pack as cia" is ticked.

Once the files are downloaded, a folder will appear in the 3DNUS directory called 9.5.0-23. Copy this onto your N3DS micro sd.

Download the .3ds version of FBI to your gateway micro sd, and run it from emunand. Navigate to the 9.5.0-23 directory and select option to install all cias in that directory. Once it is finished, close FBI and turn off N3DS. Turn back on and go back to emunand. You will now have 9.5.0-23 firmware in emunand (you can confirm this in system settings but remember it will go back to sysnand when you leave system settings).

Have you installed emunand yet? Follow the gateway manual to setup emunand, then download the .3ds version of FBI to your gateway micro sd, and use it to install the CIA version from your 3ds sd onto emunand.

Thanks for this.

What are the advantages / disadvantages of unlinking emunand?

Saiyann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'm going to pick up my n3ds tomorrow, it should be 9.0 or 9.2.
I have cubic ninja but not gateway yet. Can I play games using Pasta cfw?
If I can , what reason to I have to get gateway?
Also, is there a guide to make sure I won't accidentally update it?
Thanks

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm going to pick up my n3ds tomorrow, it should be 9.0 or 9.2.
I have cubic ninja but not gateway yet. Can I play games using Pasta cfw?

Yes, but for more info, see below.

If I can , what reason to I have to get gateway?

Gateway can run cartridge rom dumps (*.3ds, *.3dz) and eshop files (CIA). Pasta only runs CIA (AFAIK), so you may have to convert roms sometimes if you can't find them in CIA version. Also, gateway supports emunand, which is a copy of your system's internal memory which instead runs off the micro sd card in the 3ds. Emunand is safer than fiddling with sysnand (normal internal memory). If you do something wrong in pasta, you could brick your system (although if you take a few simple precautions this risk is minimal). Emunand support is in development for Pasta though.

Also, is there a guide to make sure I won't accidentally update it?
Thanks

With a gateway, once you have set up emunand, you can delete the network connection information from sysnand, so it is impossible to accidentally update sysnand. It's good practice to just leave the wifi off unless you need it, and never put the system to sleep unless you are certain you're in emunand. Here is some more info with other things you can do to avoid accidental updating.

The first thing you should do when you get your n3ds is make a backup of the sysnand (you can use the gateway launcher to do this - you don't need a gateway for this). Then if you do accidentally update, it can be restored with a hard mod (you can pay someone to do this for a fairly small fee if you are unable to do this yourself).

Last edited by genericuser,

balba

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hey guys. I bought a Gateway flash card and it arrived today. Does anyone know which tutorial is best to follow for me? I got an older Nintendo 3ds XL firmware 4.2.0-9E. The tutorials i find for the latest gateway firmwares seems to be aimed for the new 3ds using the internett browser exploit. I want to use it with the blue card method so i can launch gateway mode without using the browser exploit(i assume that you need to use it everytime the 3ds is turned off)

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys. I bought a Gateway flash card and it arrived today. Does anyone know which tutorial is best to follow for me? I got an older Nintendo 3ds XL firmware 4.2.0-9E. The tutorials i find for the latest gateway firmwares seems to be aimed for the new 3ds using the internett browser exploit. I want to use it with the blue card method so i can launch gateway mode without using the browser exploit(i assume that you need to use it everytime the 3ds is turned off)

This is the official gateway manual for old 3ds. It includes the blue card method instructions (section 18). You are correct in that the exploit needs to be done every time the system is turned on. For this reason, you should just put your 3ds to sleep when not in use (however, make sure you are in emunand, and it's best to remove the gateway before putting 3ds to sleep).

Here you can find the required files for gateway.

Reactions: balba

balba

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you genericuser. Managed to get gateway mode running and loaded my backup rom on the microSD. Im wondering, is it nesessary to update emunand and all that? Ive heard people talking about it but im not sure what it is. Also how is gateway with online play?

This is the official gateway manual for old 3ds. It includes the blue card method instructions (section 18). You are correct in that the exploit needs to be done every time the system is turned on. For this reason, you should just put your 3ds to sleep when not in use (however, make sure you are in emunand, and it's best to remove the gateway before putting 3ds to sleep).

Here you can find the required files for gateway.

Terminator10

Trophies
XP
Country
I recently bought a sky3ds but I'm having a problem,

I downloaded the Diskwriter and the template file,
placed them on a microSD card and opened the Diskwriter in Admin (Windows 7)
Then I got this message:

logicalHandles FsctLockVolume(''\\.\H:'') - Get last error returned
0x00000005

I tried a different SD card but the same thing happend!
Help would be appreciated :)

(Sorry for bad English ;) )

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you genericuser. Managed to get gateway mode running and loaded my backup rom on the microSD. Im wondering, is it nesessary to update emunand and all that? Ive heard people talking about it but im not sure what it is. Also how is gateway with online play?

Emunand is a copy of the internal system memory which instead runs off the sd card. Its purpose is to prevent accidental bricking of your 3ds should something go wrong with installing software etc. Did you format emunand? Make sure you give the rest of the manual a good read. You must update emunand (or use firmware spoofing) if you want to access the eshop. There is no other reason to update emunand unless you find a game isn't working, in which case updating may help. You should always check the official gateway support forum before updating to make sure that the latest firmware is supported in emunand. This guide answers some questions and shows some precautions to take when updating. You should also backup your emunand before updating just in case something goes wrong.

If you want to play online you must either use a CIA version of the game, or inject a private header into your rom. A header is a unique identifier for each rom. If you use a public header (eg a *.3ds rom downloaded from the internet), you may get banned from playing online by Nintendo.

The easiest way to play online is with CIAs, as they don't have headers. CIAs are better anyway for a variety of reasons. Here is a thread about CIAs.

Last edited by genericuser,
Reactions: balba

mmog

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm currently living in Japan and planning on buying a second hand new 3ds LL running 9.2J.

I want to buy a flashcart but I'm not sure which one to get. I want to be able to run homebrews and I want to be able play games from other regions. I also want to have support for non 3DS games. What do you recommend?

I was thinking of buying the gateway since it seems that it does everything that I want and it seems that they keep on improving their firmware but to get the Gateway to work I have to get either Cubic Ninja or Zelda Ocarina of Time. Cubic Ninja is expensive and hard to find here, Zelda less so but if I understand correctly I need some kind of save dongle to transfer the corrupted savegame for Zelda? If that's the case, which one should I get?

Otherwise, the QQ3DS seems to be the way to go in that I can use it to get ninjhax running (by copying cubic ninja on it) and then it seems that I can get everything that Gateway provides (but with less guarantee of continuous updates?). I'd get the QQ3DS instead of the Sky3ds since it also includes a DS cart.

balba

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Much much appriciated genericuser. Youve helped me get the answers i was looking for and a easy-to-follow guide. Il be sure to give the threads for cia and the other guide a read. Thanks again :yay:!!

Emunand is a copy of the internal system memory which instead runs off the sd card. Its purpose is to prevent accidental bricking of your 3ds should something go wrong with installing software etc. Did you format emunand? Make sure you give the rest of the manual a good read. You must update emunand (or use firmware spoofing) if you want to access the eshop. There is no other reason to update emunand unless you find a game isn't working, in which case updating may help. You should always check the official gateway support forum before updating to make sure that the latest firmware is supported in emunand. This guide answers some questions and shows some precautions to take when updating. You should also backup your emunand before updating just in case something goes wrong.

If you want to play online you must either use a CIA version of the game, or inject a private header into your rom. A header is a unique identifier for each rom. If you use a public header (eg a *.3ds rom downloaded from the internet), you may get banned from playing online by Nintendo.

The easiest way to play online is with CIAs, as they don't have headers. CIAs are better anyway for a variety of reasons. Here is a thread about CIAs.

Reactions: genericuser

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol