• Views 4,461,148
  • Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I should have been clearer - should I start by setting up an EmuNAND on the New 3DS?

You can set up EmuNAND on the new 3DS; yes. But it will be a 9.0 emunand. Once we all get the OK from Gateway, you can update your system (in emuNAND! Don't do it in sysnand!) and get yourself the latest version.

redion1992

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can set up EmuNAND on the new 3DS; yes. But it will be a 9.0 emunand. Once we all get the OK from Gateway, you can update your system (in emuNAND! Don't do it in sysnand!) and get yourself the latest version.
OK then - at this point, will I be able to system transfer to the EmuNAND? And if so, how will that affect the SysNAND? Will it bring in things like NNID, eShop to the SysNAND or will I have to do that another way?

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK then - at this point, will I be able to system transfer to the EmuNAND? And if so, how will that affect the SysNAND? Will it bring in things like NNID, eShop to the SysNAND or will I have to do that another way?

You cannot do a system transfer yet because you need to be on the latest firmware to be able to do that (system transfers go over Nintendo's servers as well). When Gateway supports 9.6 emunand you will be able to transfer.

redion1992

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You cannot do a system transfer yet because you need to be on the latest firmware to be able to do that (system transfers go over Nintendo's servers as well). When Gateway supports 9.6 emunand you will be able to transfer.
OK, so just making sure I've got this all correct - I can create a 9.0 EmuNAND, and have that ready for when there is support for a 9.6 EmuNAND. When that happens, I can update the EmuNAND to 9.6 (leaving SysNAND at 9.0), and then - and only then - System Transfer my stuff from my old 3DS to the EmuNAND. Right?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I should have been clearer - should I start by setting up an EmuNAND on the New 3DS?
All the advise you have had is correct. For now emunand is fine on 9.0, all three of mine are still there. For one reason or another some people really want to upgrade to a higher version, up to 9.5. This can be achieved through a rom such as steam or Xeno or a tool such as 3dnus.

I can't think of a way to port any data off the old 3ds right now given your situation. You will just have to follow the scene and see if a method develops.

OK, so just making sure I've got this all correct - I can create a 9.0 EmuNAND, and have that ready for when there is support for a 9.6 EmuNAND. When that happens, I can update the EmuNAND to 9.6 (leaving SysNAND at 9.0), and then - and only then - System Transfer my stuff from my old 3DS to the EmuNAND. Right?
Right. Just don't forget to get a sysnand backup as the First thing you do.

Also just be prepared for the possibility that 9.6 support for the n3Ds could take a long time and may not come at all.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has there been an easier way to convert my legit 3DS carts to CIAs than the guide posted in November of 2014? It's such a ridiculously long process I kind of hoped there might have been a newer method. It also seems like the slot0x25keyx.bin is for 7.x and Smash bros is a 8.x game so I don't even know if it would work?

fantoboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a New 3DS with firmware 9.0.0 and Ocarina of Time, I have some simple questions:
1. What site is the best site to get a Gateway, and is there a certain version I need?
2. What micro SD cards should I be getting? 64gb class 10? Do I need two? Can I go larger or does that cause issues like I've heard about? Is this good: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Turbo-Per...&sr=8-1&keywords=64+gb+class+10+micro+sd+card

3. How do I tell if my Ocarina of Time is a good one, or has that issue been fixed?
4. Which tutorial is the best one?

thanks!

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just learned this recently myself, but if you use a rom with 9.4, say Xenoblade, you can update your emuNAND to 9.4 rather safely. Just make sure you have an emuNAND on your memory card before you update, otherwise you'll brick.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a New 3DS with firmware 9.0.0 and Ocarina of Time, I have some simple questions:
1. What site is the best site to get a Gateway, and is there a certain version I need?
2. What micro SD cards should I be getting? 64gb class 10? Do I need two? Can I go larger or does that cause issues like I've heard about? Is this good: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Turbo-Per...&sr=8-1&keywords=64+gb+class+10+micro+sd+card

3. How do I tell if my Ocarina of Time is a good one, or has that issue been fixed?
4. Which tutorial is the best one?

thanks!
I have used modchipdirect.com with no problems. It seems like no matter the reseller there will always be someone that has a problem with them.

That PNY should work although I have not used it. I have Samsung and Sandisk but they are more expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memor...d=1429204590&sr=1-2&keywords=sandisk+micro+sd

Not sure on OOT, check out the thread about it. Mine worked fine so I never had to deal with it. I have heard there is a fix for the cards that don't work.

Max console has a guide, gateway has a guide in the download section. They are all basically the same. Read them all and make sure you understand the process it really isn't hard for a basic setup.

fantoboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have used modchipdirect.com with no problems. It seems like no matter the reseller there will always be someone that has a problem with them.

That PNY should work although I have not used it. I have Samsung and Sandisk but they are more expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memory-Adapter--SDSDQUAN-064G-G4A-Version/dp/B00M55C1I2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429204590&sr=1-2&keywords=sandisk micro sd

Not sure on OOT, check out the thread about it. Mine worked fine so I never had to deal with it. I have heard there is a fix for the cards that don't work.

Max console has a guide, gateway has a guide in the download section. They are all basically the same. Read them all and make sure you understand the process it really isn't hard for a basic setup.

Thanks for the info! Is 64 GB good? Do I need 2?

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
you don't System Transfer to emuNAND
when you create emuNAND, it will be exact copy of your sysNAND. everything from your sysNAND will be brought over to emuNAND, this is what also called as linked emuNAND
you can then decide to create unlinked emuNAND by formatting either of sysNAND or emuNAND
both linked and unlinked have pros and cons, so be sure to read all related threads here

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info! Is 64 GB good? Do I need 2?
Depends on how many games you want to have at any one time. If you want CIA installs you need a larger card in the 3ds, otherwise the 4gb that comes with it should be fine to start with. Maybe an 8gb if you get a lot of updates and DLC.

I personally have two 64gb cards in each n3ds. CIA for online games and .3ds for offline, but I got them on sale.

128GB is really overkill for most people and the price per GB is higher.

you don't System Transfer to emuNAND
when you create emuNAND, it will be exact copy of your sysNAND. everything from your sysNAND will be brought over to emuNAND, this is what also called as linked emuNAND
you can then decide to create unlinked emuNAND by formatting either of sysNAND or emuNAND
both linked and unlinked have pros and cons, so be sure to read all related threads here
He has an old 3ds with eshop content he wants to migrate over. He realizes that is not possible at the moment.

Reactions: Garou

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doing a combo of .CIA and .3DS is a really good idea, I never thought of that. Just for the sheer fact that you can fit double the amount of games without having to buy an expensive 128 GB card.

Any downsides that I am not thinking of? I only play Smash online; is there any downside to having a lot of games as CIAs? Is there a somewhat easy way to convert .3DS to CIA? Is it impossible to extract/restore saves to and from .3DS and .CIA files (especially Smash)?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doing a combo of .CIA and .3DS is a really good idea, I never thought of that. Just for the sheer fact that you can fit double the amount of games without having to buy an expensive 128 GB card.

Any downsides that I am not thinking of? I only play Smash online; is there any downside to having a lot of games as CIAs? Is there a somewhat easy way to convert .3DS to CIA? Is it impossible to extract/restore saves to and from .3DS and .CIA files (especially Smash)?
Some find it more convenient to launch games from the home screen vs the multi rom menu. CIA files take time to install and even more time to create if you can find one pre made.

Savedatafiler will convert your saves, not really a hard process but a lot of steps to get just right. Backuping up your saves is a lot faster and easier with .3ds files. For card 1 games you just copy the .sav file. CIA requires extracting each save individually.

One big advantage of CIA is after you are in gateway mode you can pull the card and us it in another system, such as a friends if they 9.2 or below.

Meowwer

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been getting kind of mixed signals between all that I could find around here, so I'd rather ask here: Can an R4i 3DS SDHC RTS run homebrew? 3DS homebrew, specifically, so I could for example run stuff made from the open-source 3DS devkit, and stuff made from other people. Thanks in advice :lol:

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been getting kind of mixed signals between all that I could find around here, so I'd rather ask here: Can an R4i 3DS SDHC RTS run homebrew? 3DS homebrew, specifically, so I could for example run stuff made from the open-source 3DS devkit, and stuff made from other people. Thanks in advice :lol:
That is a DS mode flashcart that only runs DS games. It will not run any sort of 3DS software. The confusion probably comes from the fact that there is an R4 Gold Deluxe that is a gateway clone but has not received updates in almost a year so is relatively worthless.

Agent Moose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible for me to downgrade my 9.2 console to 4.5, install a cia of my Cubic Ninja cartridge, then revert back to 9.2 and still use cubic ninja? I want be able to use ninjhax, and rxTools when it updates for ninjhax, without having to spawn the cartridge from cubic ninja to super smash each time.

Also, if I downgrade to 4.5 and don't even run super smash via cartridge and do as I said and then update to 9.2, will my cartridge save still be in tact and not currpted, along with my other cartridge saves? (Animal Crossing, Mario Kart ect.)

Meowwer

Trophies
XP
Country
That is a DS mode flashcart that only runs DS games. It will not run any sort of 3DS software. The confusion probably comes from the fact that there is an R4 Gold Deluxe that is a gateway clone but has not received updates in almost a year so is relatively worthless.

Thanks, had to post this twice to get some attention. Well, it cost me 8.80 € right next to my house so considering there's emulators already for the ds, not being able to get pirated 3ds stuff is not that much of a deal considering I would only want it for the homebrew apps and smileBASIC is already on it's way...

delicator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
I try the noob thread, because, i ask a noob question here :)
I'm a dev, so I know about programming, buffor overflow, read/write memory etc.
For the 3ds, I assume, for the browser exploit, if it's webkit, perhaps a know webkit exploit is used.

My question is about finding exploit, if the code is known, I can imagine how people can find vulnerable code, but if the code is not known, like the Zelda OoT exploit, how can they find vunerability ?
Old way is to dump code, and with an hexa editor search for some occurence.
But in the Zelda OoT example, do you know how the guy discover the exploit ?
(something like, dump the save, and try to alter string, or value with an hexEditor, until the game crash ?)
And more general question, how can become a vulnerability resercher ?
(I read some tuto and wiki linked in the fisrt page, but find nothing related)

Thanks !

edit : I reding this https://gbatemp.net/threads/some-hacking-concepts-and-links.287721/ now :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, WAKE UP