• Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

g9672001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been away from the 3ds scene for a long time and the last time I was active was when 3ds bans were being gave out. I was wondering if those bans were hardware bans or just header bans?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been away from the 3ds scene for a long time and the last time I was active was when 3ds bans were being gave out. I was wondering if those bans were hardware bans or just header bans?

Speculation: Some very commonly used public headers have been blocked (separate from bans)

Fact: The bans were per-console

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It must be a clean CIA. You can't simply install cias on your home menu and sell the gw cart. There is not much clean cia's out there anyways.

If you install a fakesigned one, it won't be possible to launch from sysNAND.

Hmm, I was only thinking about installing one or two specific ones. Mostly I would want to install Cubic Ninja so I don't need to carry around two carts (OoT and GW) everywhere just to make sure i can always get back into gateway.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm, I was only thinking about installing one or two specific ones. Mostly I would want to install Cubic Ninja so I don't need to carry around two carts (OoT and GW) everywhere just to make sure i can always get back into gateway.
Yea, unfortunately that is not possible, as they both have not been released as clean cias.

Reactions: Margen67 and Aroth

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a N3DS with a Gateway loaded to it's latest firmware. The sysNAND is at 9.0. I've got it up and running and everything is functioning properly in the emuNAND when at 9.0. However, because of 9.6 not being currently supported, you have to work around that and upgrade to 9.5, which is the latest. Only way to do that is with 3DNUS, downloading the firmware and importing the .cia's via BigBlue or however you do it. (I personally use BigBlue). Works fine and all, but breaks the emuNAND system settings shortcut. Opening it just gives you the 3DS loading screen and it never moves from that spot. I've tried reformatting, but that doesn't work.

It should be told that I followed this link for the instructions:
http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/288463-How-to-update-restore-EMUnand/

But on page 2, someone said this:

"There is a bug in 3DNUS for New 3ds download of 9.5.0-23.

It downloads 0004001000021000.cia for old 3ds not a new one. I downloaded the right one from 9.6.0-24 and copied it to 9.5.0-23 directory. So I was able to update my New 3ds with this workaround."\

So I followed the instructions. Anyone know what the actual problem might be? I'd like to be able to access my system functions so I can set my time/date. microSD access isn't so important since I have a .cia for that. Any help would be appreciated.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about my retail OoT? Or if I purchased it from the eshop?

You can't make .cias from retail carts that work outside of gateway.

It is theoretically possible to buy OOT from eshop to use for the exploit if and only if you have a hardmod. There's not any kind of tutorial/guide for it and I don't imagine there will be since it's so niche and complicated. I also don't know if it's been tested yet, as in whether or not it would be usable for the exploit.

I've got a N3DS with a Gateway loaded to it's latest firmware. The sysNAND is at 9.0. I've got it up and running and everything is functioning properly in the emuNAND when at 9.0. However, because of 9.6 not being currently supported, you have to work around that and upgrade to 9.5, which is the latest. Only way to do that is with 3DNUS, downloading the firmware and importing the .cia's via BigBlue or however you do it. (I personally use BigBlue). Works fine and all, but breaks the emuNAND system settings shortcut. Opening it just gives you the 3DS loading screen and it never moves from that spot. I've tried reformatting, but that doesn't work.

It should be told that I followed this link for the instructions:
http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/288463-How-to-update-restore-EMUnand/

But on page 2, someone said this:

"There is a bug in 3DNUS for New 3ds download of 9.5.0-23.

It downloads 0004001000021000.cia for old 3ds not a new one. I downloaded the right one from 9.6.0-24 and copied it to 9.5.0-23 directory. So I was able to update my New 3ds with this workaround."\

So I followed the instructions. Anyone know what the actual problem might be? I'd like to be able to access my system functions so I can set my time/date. microSD access isn't so important since I have a .cia for that. Any help would be appreciated.

I would suggest using a rom (codename steam or xenoblade have 9.4 included) to update emunand instead of 3DNUS. It is much simpler and less likely to go wrong.

Simply place the rom as a .3ds on your gateway microsd, boot into emunand while holding DPAD UP, and use the select menu to select the rom. Click on the rom and it will prompt you to update.

**Be sure you have created emunand prior to attempting to update. If you update without having emunand created you will brick your 3DS.

Reactions: genericuser

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It is theoretically possible to buy OOT from eshop to use for the exploit if and only if you have a hardmod. There's not any kind of tutorial/guide for it and I don't imagine there will be since it's so niche and complicated. I also don't know if it's been tested yet, as in whether or not it would be usable for the exploit.

I would suggest using a rom (codename steam or xenoblade have 9.4 included) to update emunand instead of 3DNUS. It is much simpler and less likely to go wrong.

Simply place the rom as a .3ds on your gateway microsd, boot into emunand while holding DPAD UP, and use the select menu to select the rom. Click on the rom and it will prompt you to update.

**Be sure you have created emunand prior to attempting to update. If you update without having emunand created you will brick your 3DS.

Lovely. I hate to have to go through the pain again, but if it fixes my issue, it's well worth it. One more time for the night! I'll post my results when I'm finished fiddling with everything.

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country

Cool. I am going to try this once I have my n3ds hardmodded.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I'm looking forward to buy a new flashcart for my N3DS XL. It's on FW 9.2 I think. I know what headers are but they just seem too complicated. Is there a flashcart that'll allow me to play online without getting a private header?

Tsuku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey, I want install legit cias, I installed them on 4.5 PBT CFW, but games doesn't appear on 9.6 emunand. When I go to software management, then I can see that games in gray colour. Any ideas what I do wrong?

Sorry for bad english, I wish You understand :D

riskbrkir

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi guys I'm a gateway 3ds user for an US 3DS, I bought some time ago a Jap New 3DS does anyone know if I can use the Ocarina exploit on a JAP N3ds with a US cartridge? or some workaround?
Thanks in advance.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking forward to buy a new flashcart for my N3DS XL. It's on FW 9.2 I think. I know what headers are but they just seem too complicated. Is there a flashcart that'll allow me to play online without getting a private header?

Headers actually couldn't be any simpler. They're just blocks of information that describe the game you're playing. Think of them as individual keys that need to be correct pertaining to the rom you're using. If they aren't, they're rejected from playing online. If you want to play online, you'll need to deal with headers. There's three routes you can go(that I'm aware of), each with their own advantages and disadvantages.

SKY3DS: Comes with a list of headers that are autoinstalled into your roms. Easiest of the three as it's done automatically when you write the roms to your microSD using their tool. However, the disadvantage is that they're all public headers. Meaning everyone uses them. Increases the chance of future ban hammers and changing the headers is possible, but a complete pain. No one has written a program for it yet. Involves a lot of seeking and copy/pasting. And if your game isn't supported by SKY3DS, it involves hex editing to get the information you need.

Gateway: They have a rom patcher that allows you to pull the header from a legit rom you've backed up. A little more work is involved with this method versus the SKY3DS as each header has to be injected manually. But this only takes a second, it makes sure your headers are private (if you get them from your own game) and lowers the possible chances of a banhammer in the future. The program is easy as:
1. Load Legit Rom
2. Export Header to File
3. Load Backup Rom You Want To Take Online
4. Import Header from file
5. Yes to everything, then apply.

After that, your file should be good to go so long as you rename it to .3dz from .3ds. Your file may also complain about a wrong chip manufacture, but that's a easy setting to change with the rom patcher program. It's all user friendly.

.CIA Game Files: The most complex of the three choices, however, it doesn't actually use header files, instead, using your 3DS' unique identifier as it's header. The reason it's complex is because you have to convert the .3DS file to .cia and that can only be done using a 4.x - 4.5 3DS. Meaning no N3DS is capable of this (I'm not not mistaken).

So it's not that hard to understand them really. Easy processes all around. :3

Also be sure the rom is the same region as your 3DS (e.g. do not use a EUR xenoblade rom)

Your idea worked! I have access to my settings now, along with access to all my backups. I appreciate the help. :3

Reactions: nxwing

Chuckado

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have purchased a N3DS XL. It has been updated to 9.3, which i believe is the newest firmware. I was thinking about purchasing a Sky3ds flash cart to play emulators. I was wondering if this was the right product and if someone could provide a link to the process involved to get something like a GBA emulator up. Thank you for any assistance.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have purchased a N3DS XL. It has been updated to 9.3, which i believe is the newest firmware. I was thinking about purchasing a Sky3ds flash cart to play emulators. I was wondering if this was the right product and if someone could provide a link to the process involved to get something like a GBA emulator up. Thank you for any assistance.

As far as we know, Sky3DS supports all recent firmwares, up to 9.6, which is the current and latest. As for Emulators, that's all up to you. I don't know squat about homebrew on the 3DS. Might wanna check out NinjaHAX or NTRCfw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: How are you?