• Views 4,478,995
  • Replies 53,783
  • Likes 43

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn. I tried running Omega Ruby and it's just black screen. Is it easy to use emunand? I don't wanna mess things up.

Also, are there issues with using microSD as FAT32 and not exfat? Which do you prefer?

There are no issues with FAT32 vs exfat. Just you will have to use Gateway's rom splitter for anything over 4GB on fat32. Don't think there are any games over than size yet anyway.

Emunand is easy enough to use.

Copy everything off your main SD (the one in the 3ds).
Grab Gateway's latest launcher and put that on the SD.
Hold L on boot. If you haven't already, use the NAND backup option (this is just a precaution and should be done even if not using emunand), then once it's done, copy the backup to pc and safely store it.
Hold L on boot again and use the format emunand option.
Boot into Gateway mode, go into system settings, make sure it says GW3D before your version number.
Use the system update from within system settings and it will update emunand to latest version.
Once emunand is up and running, just copy everything from your sd card back (except for the old launcher.dat)

Gateway will automatically boot emunand if it's present. Also do not go into system settings, then back out. That drops you back to system nand and has resulted in people updating that and not emunand. Go into settings, check it says GW3D and use the update function, do leave the settings inbetween.

Sabregod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are no issues with FAT32 vs exfat. Just you will have to use Gateway's rom splitter for anything over 4GB on fat32. Don't think there are any games over than size yet anyway.

Emunand is easy enough to use.

Copy everything off your main SD (the one in the 3ds).
Grab Gateway's latest launcher and put that on the SD.
Hold L on boot. If you haven't already, use the NAND backup option (this is just a precaution and should be done even if not using emunand), then once it's done, copy the backup to pc and safely store it.
Hold L on boot again and use the format emunand option.
Boot into Gateway mode, go into system settings, make sure it says GW3D before your version number.
Use the system update from within system settings and it will update emunand to latest version.
Once emunand is up and running, just copy everything from your sd card back (except for the old launcher.dat)

Gateway will automatically boot emunand if it's present. Also do not go into system settings, then back out. That drops you back to system nand and has resulted in people updating that and not emunand. Go into settings, check it says GW3D and use the update function, do leave the settings inbetween.

What do you mean by "just copy everything from your sd card back (except for the old launcher.dat)" Why? It doesn't require the 2.7 launcher anymore?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What do you mean by "just copy everything from your sd card back (except for the old launcher.dat)" Why? It doesn't require the 2.7 launcher anymore?

Format emunand used to put the launcher back for you (I don't know if it still does). I was also assuming you were on an older launcher (didn't read that far back).

If you are using 2.7 already, then yeah, you can just copy everything off, format emunand, then put everything back including the 2.7 launcher. Boot emunand, update it and you are good.

Sabregod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Format emunand used to put the launcher back for you (I don't know if it still does). I was also assuming you were on an older launcher (didn't read that far back).

If you are using 2.7 already, then yeah, you can just copy everything off, format emunand, then put everything back including the 2.7 launcher. Boot emunand, update it and you are good.

Is there a way to update to a specific version under emunand without connecting to internet? Let's say 9.2 instead of 9.4?

Pablo007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1. We don't know the details in full yet, but it appears that it is emulating a real card due to some flaw in the way the 3DS determines if a card is genuine or not.

2. Either via the Internet or through game cartridge updates.

3. Disabling wireless altogether will stop any updates from being downloaded in the background, yes. As for cartridges, they will ask you to update and what firmware to update to when you put them in, as far as I am aware there is no way to stop this behaviour.

Thanks for this. So turning wifi off should solve nearly all problems. One Questions. Updates do not work with roms? So no need to worry If there are no retail cards? or do the work as proper retail cards?

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for this. So turning wifi off should solve nearly all problems. One Questions. Updates do not work with roms? So no need to worry If there are no retail cards? or do the work as proper retail cards?
Using Sky3DS I am sure it will ask you to update, but so far there aren't any games over 8.1 so it'll be fine.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a way to update to a specific version under emunand without connecting to internet? Let's say 9.2 instead of 9.4?

You can update using a rom if you hold up on the d-pad when booting gateway mode

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-update-emunand-using-a-rom.372410/

You can't pick a specific version though, it would just end up on whatever version the cart has. Use a rom of your region if you use that method. No idea what would happen if you used an out of region rom.

If you do it that way, you won't be able to check you are on emunand through system settings. So you would be best making some sort of distinction between the two (emunand and system nand) on home menu. A lot of people stick a folder named emunand or similar on the home menu of the emunand, so you can know your on it, without going into system settings.

Gateway don't recommend the cart method. I have no idea why they don't, but it does work.

Sabregod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can update using a rom if you hold up on the d-pad when booting gateway mode

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-update-emunand-using-a-rom.372410/

You can't pick a specific version though, it would just end up on whatever version the cart has. Use a rom of your region if you use that method. No idea what would happen if you used an out of region rom.

If you do it that way, you won't be able to check you are on emunand through system settings. So you would be best making some sort of distinction between the two (emunand and system nand) on home menu. A lot of people stick a folder named emunand or similar on the home menu of the emunand, so you can know your on it, without going into system settings.

Gateway don't recommend the cart method. I have no idea why they don't, but it does work.

I'll update with latest version on the internet then. Any issues with 9.4 before I proceed?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll update with latest version on the internet then. Any issues with 9.4 before I proceed?

Not really. The home menu takes a little longer to load icons on boot, but that's just Nintendo being shitty, nothing to do with emunand. Been like it since the theme update.

nosignaldetected

Trophies
XP
Country
i have a lot of purchased digital eshop titles - if i installed emunand, would I be able to keep them on the same SD? if it formats the SD card, then should I back them up beforehand using my computer then copy them back onto the emunand partition afterwards? that should work fine yes?

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have a lot of purchased digital eshop titles - if i installed emunand, would I be able to keep them on the same SD? if it formats the SD card, then should I back them up beforehand using my computer then copy them back onto the emunand partition afterwards? that should work fine yes?
Yes, you'll keep your eshop purchases since the emunand is a copy of sysnand.
You need to backup both your SD card and emunand partition before formatting SD card.
One note though, your eshop purchases are not located in the emunand partition. They're in the normal (viewable in window explorer) SD partition.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question. I have a 3DS with legitimately installed eShop games and saves, currently on 9.2. Could I make a NAND backup of this and use it on emuNAND somehow on a different 3DS (it would be a New 3DS), or is this not possible? Would I have to do a system transfer? Only reason I'm hesitant to do that is because then I'd have to update this 3DS to transfer it all to an Uodated emuNAND on the New 3DS (assuming that the new update will allow for emuNAND on 9.2).

litewait

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Hello people!

I do have some questions, even though most of them are probably already answered. I just want to be sure that I don't screw up my 3DS XL.

I have a Gateway Card(Version 2.7) and my 3DS is on FW 4.5. The question that I have is, if I can still update my EmuNAND by going online, without bricking my console. I have read that the new released FW is 9.4 in the e-shop. Can I just format my emuNAND using gateway and update it anyway? I haven't updated my emuNAND at all. It is still on FW 4.5, I suppose.

Second question: I do have some games already played. Can I just make a copy of the savegames and transfer them after I'm done updating my emuNAND, or will I lose most of my data? I also have some CIA files installed. Will they still work after the update?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question. I have a 3DS with legitimately installed eShop games and saves, currently on 9.2. Could I make a NAND backup of this and use it on emuNAND somehow on a different 3DS (it would be a New 3DS), or is this not possible? Would I have to do a system transfer? Only reason I'm hesitant to do that is because then I'd have to update this 3DS to transfer it all to an Uodated emuNAND on the New 3DS (assuming that the new update will allow for emuNAND on 9.2).
Yes, it is possible to inject sysnand backup into the emunand partition.

Hello people!

I do have some questions, even though most of them are probably already answered. I just want to be sure that I don't screw up my 3DS XL.

I have a Gateway Card(Version 2.7) and my 3DS is on FW 4.5. The question that I have is, if I can still update my EmuNAND by going online, without bricking my console. I have read that the new released FW is 9.4 in the e-shop. Can I just format my emuNAND using gateway and update it anyway? I haven't updated my emuNAND at all. It is still on FW 4.5, I suppose.

Second question: I do have some games already played. Can I just make a copy of the savegames and transfer them after I'm done updating my emuNAND, or will I lose most of my data? I also have some CIA files installed. Will they still work after the update?

Thanks in advance for the answers!
So you already have the emunand partition formatted?
Then simply update through the emunand system settings to 9.4
You will keep all your cia and save games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...