How to update emuNAND using a ROM?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by clark2k, Oct 7, 2014.

1. clark2k
    OP

clark2k GBAtemp Regular

Nov 1, 2003
    Brazil
    Vitoria/ES - Brazil
  2. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Hold Up on the D-pad when booting into Gateway/Classic mode

Margen67 and clark2k like this.
  3. clark2k
    OP

clark2k GBAtemp Regular

Nov 1, 2003
    Brazil
    Vitoria/ES - Brazil
    Doing that way, any risk of getting sysNAND updated?

Margen67 likes this.
  4. inuyasha555

inuyasha555 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Canada
    Hangs whenever I attempt to load Super Smash Bros so I can update to 8.1.

Updated to 6.1 using classic mode and Pokemon Y, still hangs on Super Smash Bros.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Hmmmm you sure? the updates dont use the new encryption, so you should be able to run the update no matter what FW your on....PS if you supertrimmed the rom the system update will of been deleted

update to anything in the 7.x region using a game that doesn't use 7.x encryption, from there, either smash bros will work or you should be able to run the 8.1 update from smashbro's

6. Seraphiel

Seraphiel GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2014
    Iceland
    Hi!

so just to be sure, i just installed 2.3b succesfully, backed up my sysnand just incase, and now im ready for emunand patching. do i simply choose format emunand and then boot in gateway mode while holding Up on my D-pad?

also i got several roms on my red cart microsd, should i just leave smash bros in there or will it choose it amongst the other as the newest firmware?

tnx in advance :)

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah,
    1. pick format emunand from the gateway menu
    2. boot up emunand, go to system settings and make sure you set it up correctly, it will say GW3D, in front of the system version (if it says Ver. 4.x go back and actually do step 1)
    3. shutdown the console
    4. boot back up into emunand and hold UP when triggering the DS profile exploit, this time DO NOT enter system settings press select and choose a game with the required FW version from your region, and do the prompted update

Bonus step between steps 2 and 3, you can move some stuff around on the homescreen and use that as a visual indicator as to which nand your in, like having a folder named "Emu" on emunand and "Sys" on system nand

you cant use a EU rom to update a US console etc, and you cant use super trimmed roms as they have the update partition removed

Crimsonflare, coveiro24, Pox and 3 others like this.
  8. petspeed

petspeed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 13, 2009
    I thought we could only update emunand through settings? What does holding UP on D-pad do that makes this possible? Is that a new feature?

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    its a "newish" feature, it basically disables the FW spoof, so updating via cart/rom is possible.......i presume it was put in as a fail safe for these situations when the latest FW is not usable

petspeed likes this.
  10. Seraphiel

Seraphiel GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2014
    Iceland

Thank you very much for the help and the extra tips, worked flawlessly :)

gamesquest1 likes this.
  11. clark2k
    OP

clark2k GBAtemp Regular

Nov 1, 2003
    Brazil
    Vitoria/ES - Brazil
    Thank you all for the help, I'll try and confirm the results here.

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    just follow the steps EXACTLY....its a bit more risky as most of the guides say "check in system settings etc", but you cant do that using this method without launching emunand back up.......so just follow those steps exactly if you want to update via rom. i tested it a few weeks back and updated to a few different FW versions, it worked perfectly

13. DryTaste

DryTaste GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2014
    Netherlands

But gateway only loads roms in GateWay mode (and if you are 100% sure that you formatted your emunand partition). There shouldn't really be a problem, because if you have emunand its impossible to update sysnand because the roms simply won't load.

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah i know, but plenty of people assume "gateway mode" = "emunand", you can actually load gateway mode in sysnand.....BUT, iirc this method will only work if your in emunand anyway, if you try holding UP and dont have emunand set up it won't disable the FW spoof.....so in some ways its probably safer than updating via the system settings screen

15. inuyasha555

inuyasha555 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Canada
    I actually just realized when typing up a response that I did trim the rom -.- I don't know about all this supertrim or anything, I just used a -t flag in some random rom editor.

That probably explains why it freezes -.-

16. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    So I just wanted to report in that this works perfectly for anyone still on 7.x after the 9.0 update. Just get Gateway 2.3b, download the ABSTRAKT release of Smash Bros (if in the US), and update to 8.1 using the instructions gamesquest provided.

All my games work, including Super Smash Bros. Although you obviously won't be able to play online until you can download the patch through the e-shop, which will require 9.0 and thus requires a launcher update from Gateway.

17. mvmiranda

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo

For that last part, could a user with NAND hardware mod update sysnand, download the update using the eshop, backup their SD card, revert sysnand to 4.5, create a 8.1 emunand using the discussed method and play?
    Is it feasible?

18. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    nope the only reason that worked in the past was because 7.2 worked, but eshop didn't, so you could inject the nand with the download ticked and play......this situation is different the dumped nand would be 9.x and unusable.........no tickets stored in the nand = no access, even if the updates are downloaded and stored on the SD

19. mvmiranda

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo

Ok, so theoretically, assuming one does the steps I mentioned.
    Are you saying that the SSB update I download in eShop using my sysNAND 9 is incompatible with my emuNAND 8.1 (based on my sysNAND 4.5) I created using my SSB ROM?

This is the only reason I can think that could prevent someone from doing this. Or am I missing something? :)

20. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yes every download needs a valid ticket to be usable, even if its encrypted for the correct console.......think of how eshop downloads show in sysnand but are unusable.....they are encrypted correctly, so they show up, but the license to use them is missing from the nand......in this situation it would be stored in the 9.x nand