Arique

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Got a question about Ninjhax. While testing out roms in blargSNES, some of the roms crashed, causing me to do a hard shutdown. When I booted up back to the homescreen, I noticed that the text above the game icon that is selected was gone!
9Ho1k5P.jpg

Now, I noticed this was happening to a couple themes that I own, and I accidentally deleted one thinking that would fix it before realizing that I needed to update my 3DS to redownload the theme, which I don't want to do since Smealum doesn't have an ETA on when Ninjhax will be fixed to run on 9.3.0. What can I do without being forced to update my 3DS to fix this problem?

stompysan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am needing some advice. I cannot seem to find anyone else asking, so I thought I would. I have been on the fence on picking up a N3DS from Japan. I know a little bit of Japanese, but not enough to be able to use it reliably. However, with Gateway announcing region-free features for the N3DS, I have really been tempted. Now that the latest firmware is blocking it, it really seems like it is either now or never. So here are my questions:

1) I have never bought a 3DS new, so I am unsure about this. Will the console force you to update while setting it up? I know there are some consoles that liked to make you update if it detects that there is a new firmware available (*cough*360*cough*). I know that with the console set up, it will prompt for updates, but you can bypass actually installing them.
2) I know it probably isn't possible to pinpoint 100%, but does anyone know the general turnaround on Nintendy's devices being shipped with the latest? Like what was observed with 4.5? I can gather the money to pick one up today, but would prefer to wait a week or so to get a bit more money so I am not scrambling around.
3) In everyone's opinion, is it even worth picking up a N3DS? I have an original 3DS currently running 9.2 (with wireless off to prevent it from downloading the update and constantly nagging). I am just a bit on the fence with the language barrier of the console. I am sure that I could figure out the majority of the stuff, but I would always be a bit paranoid on bricking the console in some way.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I am needing some advice. I cannot seem to find anyone else asking, so I thought I would. I have been on the fence on picking up a N3DS from Japan. I know a little bit of Japanese, but not enough to be able to use it reliably. However, with Gateway announcing region-free features for the N3DS, I have really been tempted. Now that the latest firmware is blocking it, it really seems like it is either now or never. So here are my questions:

1) I have never bought a 3DS new, so I am unsure about this. Will the console force you to update while setting it up? I know there are some consoles that liked to make you update if it detects that there is a new firmware available (*cough*360*cough*). I know that with the console set up, it will prompt for updates, but you can bypass actually installing them.
2) I know it probably isn't possible to pinpoint 100%, but does anyone know the general turnaround on Nintendy's devices being shipped with the latest? Like what was observed with 4.5? I can gather the money to pick one up today, but would prefer to wait a week or so to get a bit more money so I am not scrambling around.
3) In everyone's opinion, is it even worth picking up a N3DS? I have an original 3DS currently running 9.2 (with wireless off to prevent it from downloading the update and constantly nagging). I am just a bit on the fence with the language barrier of the console. I am sure that I could figure out the majority of the stuff, but I would always be a bit paranoid on bricking the console in some way.

1)If you connect to the internet, the console will download the update and pester you to update by having popups every other moment in time. At first startup to answer your question, no. it won't "force" update. only when you eventually connect to the internet.
2) all japanese n3ds ship with 8.1 out of the box. if you pick one up ASAP your chances of having one of these consoles are very high. Due to 9.3 already being released eventually once stock is replenished most if not all Japanese N3DS will be on 9.3
3) It's a nice change of pace. you'll fall in love with 3D on the N3DS because of the facial tracking thing.

Personally, I say go for it. but if you can shell out 40~50 USD then why not ship the Australian N3DS instead? it IS in english. so yeah.

Reactions: stompysan

stompysan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1)If you connect to the internet, the console will download the update and pester you to update by having popups every other moment in time. At first startup to answer your question, no. it won't "force" update. only when you eventually connect to the internet.
2) all japanese n3ds ship with 8.1 out of the box. if you pick one up ASAP your chances of having one of these consoles are very high. Due to 9.3 already being released eventually once stock is replenished most if not all Japanese N3DS will be on 9.3
3) It's a nice change of pace. you'll fall in love with 3D on the N3DS because of the facial tracking thing.

Personally, I say go for it. but if you can shell out 40~50 USD then why not ship the Australian N3DS instead? it IS in english. so yeah.

Honestly, I would keep the console offline the entire time I would own it. I would probably keep what I have now for online play with friends and for streetpass anyway.

And I had not even thought about looking into the Australian N3DS. If it is only around $50 more, I will probably just do that. Do you know of any retailers that you would recommend?

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Honestly, I would keep the console offline the entire time I would own it. I would probably keep what I have now for online play with friends and for streetpass anyway.

And I had not even thought about looking into the Austraillian N3DS. If it is only around $50 more, I will probably just do that. Do you know of any retailers that you would recommend?

I'm sorry but I don't order electronics from online retailers. I'd get friends to line up for me then ship me the things.

If I'm not mistaken there were some tempers who posted of trusted retailers. Just do a forum search of "online Australian N3DS trusted retailers" or something

Reactions: stompysan

stompysan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry but I don't order electronics from online retailers. I'd get friends to line up for me then ship me the things.

If I'm not mistaken there were some tempers who posted of trusted retailers. Just do a forum search of "online Australian N3DS trusted retailers" or something

Yup! Found a couple. Thanks again!

zoner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I need help with Virtual Console games. Eshop games work fine, but NES VC games all give a black screen. Any ideas why?

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Is it bad if I often use the GateWay installer?, as it gets deleted when I play ds games, which I do often enough.

The exploit isn't harmful. From what I understand, it's some sort of string overload. Doesn't damage the system at all.

I need help with Virtual Console games. Eshop games work fine, but NES VC games all give a black screen. Any ideas why?

How are you installing them? eShop? CIA? What version are you on, I assume this is through emuNAND?

zoner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What's your setup?
fw version etc

9.0 emunand. Gateway red. Tried Metroid NES and Super mario bros. All just give a black screen.

How are you installing them? eShop? CIA? What version are you on, I assume this is through emuNAND?

Hmm not sure what you mean there. I run emunand and have the VC games in the same place as the 3ds and eshop games (Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies which works fine).

Do I need to do something differently for VC stuff?

Veign06

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question...when updating SD cards (going from 16gb big SD to 64gb big SD), would I have to resort to CIA installs for DLC or will the DLC data copy and work from my other SD card? I would just redownload the DLCs but thats out of the question at the moment since the 9.3 update but was just wondering so I dont have to track down the CIA dlcs.

edit: it appears they do not transfer, which is what i thought...oh well :)

Holybond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, quick question. So I just got my 3DS 4.2. I did everything dealing with the set-up, backed up my NAND all that jazz. So now I'm on GW3D 4.2.0-9U. According to some of the recent posts/topics. A new official update from Nintendo has arrived that stops gateway compatibility. My question is, should I still update on GW3D 4.2.0-9U, or just wait/buy a card like Pokemon X/Smash and update from that? Thanks for any help.

Veign06

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, quick question. So I just got my 3DS 4.2. I did everything dealing with the set-up, backed up my NAND all that jazz. So now I'm on GW3D 4.2.0-9U. According to some of the recent posts/topics. A new official update from Nintendo has arrived that stops gateway compatibility. My question is, should I still update on GW3D 4.2.0-9U, or just wait/buy a card like Pokemon X/Smash and update from that? Thanks for any help.
Wait, if you update to 9.3 it simply just doesnt work...so theres no point in doing that. You can update to 8.1 via card but thats about it.

Also, I recommend backing up your emuNAND at each different update point (when they fix it) so in the event you accidentally update or whatever, you will have a restore point. i.e. you had 9.2 and accidentally updated to 9.3, you can revert back to 9.2 instead of have to go all the way back to 4.X or using a card to get to 5.X-8.X.

Reactions: Holybond

swordlord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So guys, I finally got my gateway kit I've been waiting for. I did everything right, I have already dumped my sysNAND, and then when I tried to boot gateway mode it told me to update my flashcart and I accepted.

Well, after that sh!t got sour... whenever I tried to boot into gateway mode it would either crash or my flashcart wouldn't show up after booting. Then I decided to format the emunand. I was able to get into gateway mode but still no cart showing up... then I thought I had to update my emuNAND and so I did. I have just noticed that Nintendo has release the 9.3xxx firmware so I guess I have really sh!tty luck *cries*.

On top of that, I'm using the default 2gb sd card that comes with the system, maybe that's the problem for booting into gateway mode? Also, my retailer sent a microSD card with lots of games but they were all messed up inside, I'm going to try out a single game. I guess he didn't use diskimager or something? I need help/better luck :c

Holybond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, if you update to 9.3 it simply just doesnt work...so theres no point in doing that. You can update to 8.1 via card but thats about it.

Also, I recommend backing up your emuNAND at each different update point (when they fix it) so in the event you accidentally update or whatever, you will have a restore point. i.e. you had 9.2 and accidentally updated to 9.3, you can revert back to 9.2 instead of have to go all the way back to 4.X or using a card to get to 5.X-8.X.

Thank you, I'll simply wait.

So guys, I finally got my gateway kit I've been waiting for. I did everything right, I have already dumped my sysNAND, and then when I tried to boot gateway mode it told me to update my flashcart and I accepted.

Well, after that sh!t got sour... whenever I tried to boot into gateway mode it would either crash or my flashcart wouldn't show up after booting. Then I decided to format the emunand. I was able to get into gateway mode but still no cart showing up... then I thought I had to update my emuNAND and so I did. I have just noticed that Nintendo has release the 9.3xxx firmware so I guess I have really sh!tty luck *cries*.

On top of that, I'm using the default 2gb sd card that comes with the system, maybe that's the problem for booting into gateway mode? Also, my retailer sent a microSD card with lots of games but they were all messed up inside, I'm going to try out a single game. I guess he didn't use diskimager or something? I need help/better luck :c

I was having that problem a minute ago, you may have messed up big time with the updating. You were supposed to press "select" after booting into gateway mode on the empty slot at the home menu.

To clarify Boot into Gateway Mode->Find empty space->Press "Select"-> Choose game.

Veign06

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, did you go to the empty cartridge space and hit select? thats where your games pop up if you have roms on your micro sd card. It sounds like you did it correctly, you have to format emunand then boot into gateway, then hit select on the empty cart slot. Since you updated emunand to 9.3 you just have to format and start over, no real loss since you didnt have 9.0-9.2 emunand anyways. If you updated system nand you are definitely screwed.

Veign06

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, Veign is it possible to update to 8.X-9.X like you said, through a rom?
also, here a list of all games and scrolling all the way out to the side will show what firmware they have...i believe you can disregard the one that says 9.0 b/c its just a theme. the only way to get to 9.0-9.2 would be if/when they release a retail cart with it.

http://3ds.essh.co/

swordlord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks a million veign and holy (I still dunno how to tag people on this website...)

I did update the emunand so I just formatted my bigSD and started over. I guess I'll have to wait till GW comes up with an emuNAND update.

Do I still need to use diskimager or with multirom support that's just obsolete?

Sahloknir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help doing something that i hope will be quite simple, I just want to back up a save from a ROM of Pokemon Omega Ruby. I'm using a Gateway 3DS card, on firmware 2.6 Omega

EDIT: I have sorted it out for myself, i had to use SaveDataFiler, for people coming here in future, i'm afraid i can't provide a link as i believe it is against the rules, but it shouldn't be too hard to find with a little light googling.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast