• Views 4,446,131
  • Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I just got my 3DS XL and will be getting a R4i gold cart soon. Can I update my 3DS to the latest version when I enter the e-shop or is it best avoided?

It's running 4.3.0-9E right now.
if you mean the flashcard to play 3DS games, the R4i doesnt really have emunand support only use 3.3b or 3.0 firmware AVOID 3.1,3.2 they WILL brick your 3DS
so its unlikely you will be able to access eshop unless you use firmware from another card to download from eshop, but you cant use the other cards firmware to play roms it will mean switching launchers whenever you want to access eshop....also updating to 7.1 in emunand with the R4i gold deluxe breaks the firmware meaning region free and system settings won't work no more.......best bet is to just not update and stick to 3.3b firmware as 3.0 is buggy itself and can loose your saves

If you have not bought a card yet i highly recommend you avoid getting a R4i its pretty crap and is unlikely to get any more updates

Hi, im planning to buy 3ds xl with 4.5 ver firmware + Gateway card. I've read couple of tutorial/faq about gateway.
There's still couple of things that i cant understand. Hope others can help n00bies like me.
1) If i want to update gateway firmware like from ver 2.0 to ver 2.1 omega. Do i need to reinstall my emunand?
2) Some games released patch, like pokemon x/y. Does update the emunand will update the patch for the game? Or u need to download the patch from eshop or other places?
3) I have seen some group released the game patch with trainer. It have .cia file extension. How can i update it using this file. If i already update the patch for the game, does reupdate the patch using this file will works? Does the game patch will install n merge together with emunand or only sd card?
sidenote, this is my first time knowing about flash card. Sorry for many question. Tq
1, no
2, just download patches from eshop in emunand the .cia files are unusable
3, see #2

So before I update to 4.5 whats this nand backup i hear of? Should I do this before i update?

if you are on 4.1-4.4 its accessed in the gateway menu, if your on 1.0-3.x you cannot get a nand dump without doing a hardware mod

R

RedSpyGentlemen

I just got my 3DS XL and will be getting a R4i gold cart soon. Can I update my 3DS to the latest version when I enter the e-shop or is it best avoided?

It's running 4.3.0-9E right now.

When you get the R4i Gold, it's best you update that first THEN update the system.

p2sboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it better if I update from 2.2.0 to 4.1, back up NAND or w/e it's called and then update to 4.5? Does the emunand thing affect compatibility of 3ds Roms and downloaded e shop games on gateway?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Is it better if I update from 2.2.0 to 4.1, back up NAND or w/e it's called and then update to 4.5? Does the emunand thing affect compatibility of 3ds Roms and downloaded e shop games on gateway?
More backups never hurt anyone, but you can just update to 4.5 and back that up

Miisho

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
I bought a used 3dsxl with a gateway card (both used by the same person).
When I am in gateway mode and enter settings it says GW3d 4.2
If I want to update the emunand, should I set it up from the gatway l menu, or is it already setup that way.
I mean should I start the process from the beginning or can I go ahead and just update while in gw mode ?

player3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it hurt the 3ds to leave it plugged in all the time in standby (gateway) mode? It is more convenient than rebooting, etc, but just curious if it would deteriorate the system or components.

p2sboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if im on 2.2.0U. Can i update to 4.1U with a retail game and then update to 4.5U using a downloaded rom thru gateway?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, if when you're on 4.1 you use the 1.0 version of the gateway software to run the rom with the 4.5 update, as long as the gateway cartridge hasn't been updated for 2.1 omega yet.

p2sboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after I update to 4.5 from gateway 1.0 can I update the gateway card to 2.1 omega? Can 2.1omega be reverted to 1.0? Thanks

Eightbits

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I have a 3DS with 4.4 firmware that I am trying to update with my newly purchased R4 Deluxe edition. I put the Wood 1.64 firmware on both a 2 GB and a 16 GB formatted to Fat32 into the blue card, and when I click on the picture to start the cartridge, the 3DS will go black, do a quick white flash and then stay on black until I turn it off. I let it sit there for five minutes just in case. Any ideas?

RavenGT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an XL 4.3 with R4i Gold Deluxe on 3.3b.

When I try to run Mario Golf World Tour (EUR) it gives me an error "Game card was removed".

I tried writing Mario Tennis to my MicroSD and that runs just fine, so I don't think it's faulty hardware.

Is Mario Golf too new for the R4i Gold Deluxe? I don't know what emunand is, but is it something related to that? Is Mario Golf incompatible for all R4i users?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto