• Views 4,461,248
  • Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm more interested in buying original 3Ds games and my question was is someone buying games from Amazon or eBay and satisfied with what they got?
To my knowledge there aren't any bootleg 3DS carts in wide circulation, if that's what you're asking. It does not seem to be economical to do so since installing CFW is relatively trivial.

(There are legitimate carts that can be faulty, but that's true of any system.)

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does Luma3DS also disable the system's region lock when auto-booting games (kiosk demo cartridges, for example)?
Uh, yes, if you have cfw installed, out of region games can & should work (even if they don't, Luma3DS Locale Switcher should help).
What do you mean by "auto-booting games"? About the kiosk demo carts, depends.. Do you have one in hand?

nicko_dev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, yes, if you have cfw installed, out of region games can & should work (even if they don't, Luma3DS Locale Switcher should help).
What do you mean by "auto-booting games"? About the kiosk demo carts, depends.. Do you have one in hand?
Some cartridge games, like kiosk demos, can be started just by powering on the system while the cartridge is inserted (no need to start them from the home menu). I assume that the region lock won't apply to that either, but idk. I don't have any kiosk demo cartridges on hand, but the autoboot thing seems cool, and some games only got kiosk demos overseas, so I figured I'd check what my options are lol

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two 3ds' that were given to me .. a bricked Japanese LL, and a never modded US XL that works but the top screen is damaged. Thinking about swapping the Mobo from the US console into the LL. I have only a "New" 3ds (N3DS) right now, modded with tons of GBA, SNES, NES, etc injects. What are the limitations of the "old" 3ds? Pretty sure it can't do SNES VC, anything else? I'm mostly interested in whether there are any issues with GBA, because I want to use the franken-XL to play GBA in native resolution. The display size of GBA on my regular-size N3DS is too small in native res.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
I have two 3ds' that were given to me .. a bricked Japanese LL, and a never modded US XL that works but the top screen is damaged. Thinking about swapping the Mobo from the US console into the LL. I have only a "New" 3ds (N3DS) right now, modded with tons of GBA, SNES, NES, etc injects. What are the limitations of the "old" 3ds? Pretty sure it can't do SNES VC, anything else? I'm mostly interested in whether there are any issues with GBA, because I want to use the franken-XL to play GBA in native resolution. The display size of GBA on my regular-size N3DS is too small in native res.
GBA works just as well on o3DS as on n3DS, at least with open_agb_firm and VC injects. mGBA works much better on n3DS.

Reactions: Hanafuda and CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thinking about swapping the Mobo from the US console into the LL.
Not sure if that will work, as the other components might depend or require a Jp mobo to work, but again i'm not sure on that.
Do some research online, maybe someone have done it before..
What are the limitations of the "old" 3ds? Pretty sure it can't do SNES VC, anything else? I'm mostly interested in whether there are any issues with GBA, because I want to use the franken-XL to play GBA in native resolution. The display size of GBA on my regular-size N3DS is too small in native res.
Apart from extended memory 3ds games, there's not much.

Reactions: Hanafuda

abda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
What are the limitations of the "old" 3ds? Pretty sure it can't do SNES VC, anything else? I'm mostly interested in whether there are any issues with GBA, because I want to use the franken-XL to play GBA in native resolution. The display size of GBA on my regular-size N3DS is too small in native res.
The New 3DS exclusive features:

As @CoolMe stated, the extended memory 3DS games which are locked only to the New series because of the hardware limitations:
(Big name games only here)
and SNES VC games as you said.

It even has enhancements for games, found this in a reddit post and it might help another person so I'll send the entire list.

Sources: Reddit

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

• Faster load times
  • C-stick support for smash attacks
  • Miiverse and Browser no longer disabled. System doesn't restart when shutting down the game

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate​

• Faster load times
  • Enhanced Textures
  • C-stick support for camera control
  • Miiverse and Browser no longer disabled. System doesn't restart when shutting down the game

Monster Hunter Generations​

• Faster load times
  • C stick support for camera controls
  • Miiverse and Internet Browser aren't disabled when game is running
  • More stable framerate

Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy +​

• Better load times
  • C stick support
  • Amiibo support

Code Name S.T.E.A.M​

• Three times the speed on New 3DS (compared to x2 speed mode)
  • Support for Fire Emblem amiibo (Marth, Ike, Robin and Lucina)

Hyrule Warriors Legends​

• 3D Mode
  • Higher FPS (smoother gameplay)
  • C-stick support for camera control
  • Zl button can be used to target enemy's instead of using Down on the D-pad

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse​

• ZL or ZR buttons to quickly swap between Inventory and Map screens

Retro City Rampage DX​

• C-stick support for shooting whilst moving
  • Full advantage of the faster CPU for a smoother Turbo Mode, smoother screen effects and faster fast forwarding

Azure Striker Gunvolt​

• ZR/ZL to cycle weapons
  • Improved load times
  • Gameplay performance improved on N3DS

Hatsune Miku Project DX​

• Faster load times
  • Better antialiasing in 3D mode

Streamworld Heist​

• 60 FPS in 3D Mode (30 FPS on an old 3DS)

Pokemon Sun/Moon​

• On non-new models, has to boot into dedicated mode with limited home menu access. Requires fully restarting the system to exit.
  • Load times are faster on the New 3DS. See this comparison.
  • No other changes or improvements. Frame rates are the same

Reactions: CoolMe and Hanafuda

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to @Pk11, @CoolMe, and @abda for their replies and advice yesterday. Unfortunately it turned out to be a non-issue, as close inspection of the bricked LL also revealed this hairline crack in the R side hinge housing. Curiously it still works, opens and closes just fine. But it's just a matter of time. So the (JPN) LL will donate its screen to the cause, and I'll need to get a replacement "lens" screen cover with black border for the (U) XL. I still have all I need to put together a 100% 3DS XL.

DSC_0481~2.JPG

Reactions: abda and CoolMe

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, 1 years i'm not really anymore in the 3ds scene (didn't touche mine since chritmass last year), I would like to update the firmware, then luma, then homebrews and game (mk7 got an update, lol). Iirc it's safe to sysupdate the normal way while under luma right ? And updatting luma is just replacing the firm file ?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Hello, 1 years i'm not really anymore in the 3ds scene (didn't touche mine since chritmass last year), I would like to update the firmware, then luma, then homebrews and game (mk7 got an update, lol). Iirc it's safe to sysupdate the normal way while under luma right ? And updatting luma is just replacing the firm file ?
Yep, just gotta replace the boot.firm (either with Universal-Updater or manually), then just doing a normal system update is perfectly safe

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey dudes.

I tried, oh Lord I tried so hard to change a CIA icon and banner but I am a total noob on that regard, never understand how to do it with banner tool, etc. so, here I am!

Is there a kind soul that could help me? Just want to edit the icon and banner of a very small CIA file. Thanks.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to @Pk11, @CoolMe, and @abda for their replies and advice yesterday. Unfortunately it turned out to be a non-issue, as close inspection of the bricked LL also revealed this hairline crack in the R side hinge housing. Curiously it still works, opens and closes just fine. But it's just a matter of time. So the (JPN) LL will donate its screen to the cause, and I'll need to get a replacement "lens" screen cover with black border for the (U) XL. I still have all I need to put together a 100% 3DS XL.

View attachment 344313
damn, my left shift button on my laptop has a hairline crack as well. it's a lit keyboard, and you can see the light coming from the crack. button works, no problem, just don't know how that happened.

rjremington92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just found you can change and alter music and graphics by extracting and rebuilding a 3ds file. in ace combat 3ds the sound files are in a naac format. so far i have nothing on google except it's a namco compressed audio file in the aac format. can someone help me with this?

Attachments

• ff45dacc2e53ddec664bdcdb6b3a9ebb.png
    ff45dacc2e53ddec664bdcdb6b3a9ebb.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 23

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/CaOkTKfxu44?si=gaexp0MTD_Yi-udH