• Views 4,492,853
  • Replies 53,789
  • Likes 43

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
might be a stupid question, but if I want to update my emunand using a cia pack (to ensure the network apps update as well), what is the preferred method to do that? I read that using sysupdater with any cfw that uses firmlaunch would cause a brick, so I am not sure how to go about it for emunand :(

That warning is for sysnand only.

You can go ahead install sysupdater in Emunand, place the updated folder in the root of your SD card and run sysupdater with rxTools.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That warning is for sysnand only.

You can go ahead install sysupdater in Emunand, place the updated folder in the root of your SD card and run sysupdater with rxTools.
I was reading that you can just as easily use devmenu or bigbluemenu as well, any particular reason to use ssupdater over them for emunand?

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was reading that you can just as easily use devmenu or bigbluemenu as well, any particular reason to use ssupdater over them for emunand?

Yes, BBM/DevMenu can't install a cia when another one with the same name is already installed (an older version), so you end up with a partial/Frankestein update.

This can cause a Emunand brick for obvious reasons (mixed incompatible cias), but if those older cias that weren't touched didn't change in the update then there is no problem.

I myself bricked my Emunand trying to do that once and restored a backup.

That's why you should always use sysupdater.

Just use Emunand tool to make a backup if you are unsure and don't want to lose data.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, BBM/DevMenu can't install a cia when another one with the same name is already installed (an older version), so you end up with a partial/Frankestein update.

This can cause a Emunand brick for obvious reasons (mixed incompatible cias), but if those older cias that weren't touched didn't change in the update then there is no problem.

I myself bricked my Emunand trying to do that once and restored a backup.

That's why you should always use sysupdater.

Just use Emunand tool to make a backup if you are unsure and don't want to lose data.

Oh I have several backups of both sysnand and emunand.

When I first got my N3DS and GW cart I backed up sysnand and the new emunand when i made it, then did it again when i started over after managing to do a system transfer thanks to smea and HANS. Planned to do another after I get it updated.

By the time I am done I will have three nand backups (Initial from back in april, one from after the transfer and one from after installing all the legit cias I wanted), then 2 emunand backups (one after creating it post transfer and legit cia install, and another at 9.5).

edit: and great, the dude who made sysupdater is using something stupid when he created the archive and I can't extract it.

edit2: nvm i got it, had to use 7zip to extract it instead of winrar because he used something weird.

Last edited by Aroth,

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Hey. I just installed rxTools on my 3ds.
I'd like to install Dev/BigBluMenu on my o3ds through injection but the problem is:
Do i need to downgrade it:mellow:
I don't care if i brick it ;) but I just want to know whether i need to downgrade to 4.X or not because it annoys me to wait till downgrade process complete

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey. I just installed rxTools on my 3ds.
I'd like to install Dev/BigBluMenu on my o3ds through injection but the problem is:
Do i need to downgrade it:mellow:
I don't care if i brick it ;) but I just want to know whether i need to downgrade to 4.X or not because it annoys me to wait till downgrade process complete
first when requesting help with your 3ds some info is always useful
o3ds or n3ds
sysnand fw & version emunand fw version

if you just installed rxtools what guide did you follow (it helps to better know what steps you have done)

if you installed rxtools on your o3ds then you likely installed/injected fbi if this is the case you just need the .cia versions of your preferred cia installer devmenu2x or bigblumenu(devmenu) and use fbi to install it

and unless you want to change emunands region you dont need to downgrade to 4.anything you however if you have not done so already consider updating sysnand to 9.0/9.2 (for themehax) so you can launch rxtools from a cold boot seen in this youtube video https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=LcAMVMpXjzo

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
first when requesting help with your 3ds some info is always useful
o3ds or n3ds
sysnand fw & version emunand fw version

if you just installed rxtools what guide did you follow (it helps to better know what steps you have done)

if you installed rxtools on your o3ds then you likely installed/injected fbi if this is the case you just need the .cia versions of your preferred cia installer devmenu2x or bigblumenu(devmenu) and use fbi to install it

and unless you want to change emunands region you dont need to downgrade to 4.anything you however if you have not done so already consider updating sysnand to 9.0/9.2 (for themehax) so you can launch rxtools from a cold boot seen in this youtube video https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=LcAMVMpXjzo
Really sorry.. My o3ds is on sysFW 7.1.0-14E emuFW the same. I boot rxtools from mset. I just wanted to install devmenu. I hate the fbi app

And I'm afraid to update emuNAND. Does it support 10.2 emuNAND

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really sorry.. My o3ds is on sysFW 7.1.0-14E emuFW the same. I boot rxtools from mset. I just wanted to install devmenu. I hate the fbi app

And I'm afraid to update emuNAND. Does it support 10.2 emuNAND
its ok it just helps . . . so
you just need the .cia versions of your preferred cia installer devmenu2x or bigblumenu(devmenu) and use fbi to install it
you will want to update emunand to 10.2 it is safe you need to boot emunand enter system settings and (witout pressing anything else) look at your 3ds version number only if it says rx (or anything other than just your fw version) in the bottom right corner go straight to Other Settings -> System update without exiting the System Settings app. update from there
Do NOT update if it asks you if you're "ready to start system update" or whatever it says whenever you boot your 3ds, OR through the Eshop. It will update yoursysnand instead.

Last edited by wormdood,

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
its ok it just helps . . . so

you will want to update emunand to 10.2 it is safe you need to boot emunand enter system settings and (witout pressing anything else) look at your 3ds version number only if it says rx (or anything other than just your fw version) in the bottom right corner go straight to Other Settings -> System update without exiting the System Settings app. update from there
Do NOT update if it asks you if you're "ready to start system update" or whatever it says whenever you boot your 3ds, OR through the Eshop. It will update yoursysnand instead.
Thanks. I already know how to update emuNAND and no i don't trust them to update through eshop or through the home menu

Last edited by NoNAND,

bestpersonevar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to say thanks for all the awesome help I've received on this forum...I have another question, for an n3DS on 10.2 what would be the best flashcart: Sky3DS, DSTWO-PLUS, or Gateway?

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
This is a bit of a specific topic, but I'm going to ask anyway.

In Triforce Heroes you need to connect to 15 3DSes locally in order to get all 15 Friendly Tokens. I read that if you just keep formatting the other 3DSes that it'll count as a new one so you can keep going. That's what I want to do. I know that I could technically just hack it so I get 15 tokens, but since 15 is the max I'm not sure what would happen if I hacked 15, and then I connected to actual 3DSes and got 3 more. Besides, I still feel that backing it up is a bit more legitimate.

Anyway, I wanna do the formatting method. Except, all 3 of the 3DSes I would use this with have an emuNAND that I want to keep. Could I do the following?

1) Play the game with my backup system's current emuNAND and get a token
2) Backup the emuNAND with emuNANDtool and then put it on my PC
3) Format the 3DS emuNAND using Gateway's "format emuNAND" option
4) Play the game again to get another token
5) Repeat steps 3-4 until I get all tokens on my main system
6) Inject the emuNAND that I backed up in step 2 into my backup system's SD card.
7) Have everything work on my backup 3DS as if nothing ever happened.

Thanks guys!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just want to say thanks for all the awesome help I've received on this forum...I have another question, for an n3DS on 10.2 what would be the best flashcart: Sky3DS, DSTWO-PLUS, or Gateway?
Sky3DS. Gateway and DSTwo+ won't play 3DS games on your 10.2 system. But you'll need a private header to play your Sky3DS games online safely.

Gri-C

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi! Im totally new to the homebrew scene on 3DS but now i want to install the homebrew launcher + emulators. Unfortunatly i've updated my system to 10.2.0-28E the other day and i cant find any tutorials on how to install homebrews on this firmware since browserhax and themehax seem to be patched now. Is there another way to install it? If not, will there be a new exploit to do it anytime soon? Thanks for answers!

WiiFSA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, So a while ago I downgraded my o3DS to 4.2.0-9u to use Palantine CFW, but my digital copy of AC:NL get left behind in the nand back up. I was wondering if there was a way to retrieve my save so I could still play it or do I have other options(been out of the loop)? I don't remember the firmware on my original nand but it should either 7.x or 8.x. I also have a N3DS if somehow system transfer is possible. Thanks.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! Im totally new to the homebrew scene on 3DS but now i want to install the homebrew launcher + emulators. Unfortunatly i've updated my system to 10.2.0-28E the other day and i cant find any tutorials on how to install homebrews on this firmware since browserhax and themehax seem to be patched now. Is there another way to install it? If not, will there be a new exploit to do it anytime soon? Thanks for answers!
if its a n3ds you can still use browserhax (for now?) or cubic ninja/smashbros* (or a sky3ds flashcard with cubic ninja/smashbros* 3ds rom) if you have a o3ds you need cubic ninja/smashbros* (or a sky3ds flashcard with cubic ninja/smashbros* 3ds rom)

also if you have ocarina of time and temporary access to homebrew channel (or another 3ds with hbc access) you can set otthax up on the game card then use it for homebrew in your own 3ds

*smash bros hax requires a more complex setup on your end*
Hello, So a while ago I downgraded my o3DS to 4.2.0-9u to use Palantine CFW, but my digital copy of AC:NL get left behind in the nand back up. I was wondering if there was a way to retrieve my save so I could still play it or do I have other options(been out of the loop)? I don't remember the firmware on my original nand but it should either 7.x or 8.x. I also have a N3DS if somehow system transfer is possible. Thanks.

i tend to say this often but that's an old setup now those of us still in the loop are using rxtools [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS) (the creator of pasta would even tell you to use rxtools as they are now the same project) updating sysnand to 9.0/9.2 in order to use themehax (in the link) to autoboot cfw when the system is powered on https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=LcAMVMpXjzo
and as far as an answer to your save issue
You can use either one of the these: Savedatafiler (use 3dsdb.com to find title IDs and Serial codes), NTRCFW 3.0 + Save plugin (You hold L while launching a game to make a backup; don't have to look up title ids to use this!), or the homebrew save managers like TDVS and SVDT (these are easy to use too BUT the compatibility with some games are not perfect).

Gri-C

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if its a n3ds you can still use browserhax (for now?) or cubic ninja/smashbros* (or a sky3ds flashcard with cubic ninja/smashbros* 3ds rom) if you have a o3ds you need cubic ninja/smashbros* (or a sky3ds flashcard with cubic ninja/smashbros* 3ds rom)

also if you have ocarina of time and temporary access to homebrew channel (or another 3ds with hbc access) you can set otthax up on the game card then use it for homebrew in your own 3ds

*smash bros hax requires a more complex setup on your end*

i tend to say this often but that's an old setup now those of us still in the loop are using rxtools [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS) (the creator of pasta would even tell you to use rxtools as they are now the same project) updating sysnand to 9.0/9.2 in order to use themehax (in the link) to autoboot cfw when the system is powered on https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=LcAMVMpXjzo
and as far as an answer to your save issue
You can use either one of the these: Savedatafiler (use 3dsdb.com to find title IDs and Serial codes), NTRCFW 3.0 + Save plugin (You hold L while launching a game to make a backup; don't have to look up title ids to use this!), or the homebrew save managers like TDVS and SVDT (these are easy to use too BUT the compatibility with some games are not perfect).

I have an o3DS but im thinking about upgrading to a n3DSXL anyways. I do have ocarina of time but no way to access the homebrew launcher so that wont work. I would need cubic ninja AND smash bros to get it up and running on my o3DS, did i get that right? because if so it would definitely be the best option to buy a n3DS looking at how much cubic ninja is...

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I already know how to update emuNAND and no i don't trust them to update through eshop or through the home menu
there is another way to update emunand but its a lot more work and this time if you are not truly in emunand you will brick but you use 3dnus to download your region update pack of .cias for the desired fw version and put them all in a folder called "updates" without quotation marks on sd root them in emunand only use fbi 1.14.1 or devmenu2x to install the entire folder at the same time

or you can just get over your fear of accidentally updating because the alternative route has a chance of accidentally bricking
if you follow the guides updating through emunand system menu app is very safe "tho i wont lie every time i do it (5x so far worked every time) my heart sinks until i boot back up and psychically see sysnand still in a lover fw version"

bottom line not trying to be rude but chill out most bricks and obviously accidental updates are caused by user error so you are more likely to mess up if you stress out just follow the instructions like any other set of instructions and don't skip or add anything
I have an o3DS but im thinking about upgrading to a n3DSXL anyways. I do have ocarina of time but no way to access the homebrew launcher so that wont work. I would need cubic ninja AND smash bros to get it up and running on my o3DS, did i get that right? because if so it would definitely be the best option to buy a n3DS looking at how much cubic ninja is...
cubic ninja or smash bros not both and if you want to buy a new (condition) 3ds/3dsxl/2ds it will be on a good fw version for cfw (unless bundled with a new game ex: yokai 2ds bundle) if you are set on a n3ds (stronger processor runs homeberw better than o3ds) then use this guide https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-firmware-by-version-number.381479/ to help you find a good one for cfw [Tutorial] How-to install a CFW on a 9.0-9.2 N3DS without CN/OOT (cfw access not only allows you to install .cia apps (installable 3ds roms) but makes homebrew run better as well)

Reactions: Seelbreaker

mc-kiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So with news regarding browserhax and how it gets blocked on lower fw

Is cubic Ninja the only offline 100% safe exploit ?

Cause i own n3ds 9.0 and was gonna sell CN but now im not sure

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is a bit of a specific topic, but I'm going to ask anyway.

In Triforce Heroes you need to connect to 15 3DSes locally in order to get all 15 Friendly Tokens. I read that if you just keep formatting the other 3DSes that it'll count as a new one so you can keep going. That's what I want to do. I know that I could technically just hack it so I get 15 tokens, but since 15 is the max I'm not sure what would happen if I hacked 15, and then I connected to actual 3DSes and got 3 more. Besides, I still feel that backing it up is a bit more legitimate.

Anyway, I wanna do the formatting method. Except, all 3 of the 3DSes I would use this with have an emuNAND that I want to keep. Could I do the following?

1) Play the game with my backup system's current emuNAND and get a token
2) Backup the emuNAND with emuNANDtool and then put it on my PC
3) Format the 3DS emuNAND using Gateway's "format emuNAND" option
4) Play the game again to get another token
5) Repeat steps 3-4 until I get all tokens on my main system
6) Inject the emuNAND that I backed up in step 2 into my backup system's SD card.
7) Have everything work on my backup 3DS as if nothing ever happened.
When you format emuNAND with Gateway it creates a copy of sysNAND; so after the first time it wouldn't work as the emuNANDs would have the same id.

What I would do is backup your emuNAND with EmuNAND Tool and backup the contents of your SD card. After that, get the first token. Then use the format system option from system settings in emuNAND. Now you should be able to get the next token from emuNAND. Format emuNAND from system settings again for each token. After you're done, restore your emuNAND backup with EmuNAND Tool and replace the files that were on your SD card. Your 3DS should be back to the way it was before you started.

Reactions: Ericzander

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with news regarding browserhax and how it gets blocked on lower fw

Is cubic Ninja the only offline 100% safe exploit ?

Cause i own n3ds 9.0 and was gonna sell CN but now im not sure
if you own a n3ds in 9.0 you have many options you can
use cn to install themehax and/or otthax (if you have ocarina of time)
or you can install cfw (best option) [Tutorial] How-to install a CFW on a 9.0-9.2 N3DS without CN/OOT or [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS) (if you don't have it already) then install a .cia version of cubic ninja
or you can use smash bros (requires a more complex setup on your end)

Last edited by wormdood,

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
When you format emuNAND with Gateway it creates a copy of sysNAND; so after the first time it wouldn't work as the emuNANDs would have the same id.

What I would do is backup your emuNAND with EmuNAND Tool and backup the contents of your SD card. After that, get the first token. Then use the format system option from system settings in emuNAND. Now you should be able to get the next token from emuNAND. Format emuNAND from system settings again for each token. After you're done, restore your emuNAND backup with EmuNAND Tool and replace the files that were on your SD card. Your 3DS should be back to the way it was before you started.
Thanks so much man! So I think I already know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway. My emuNAND is on 9.8. When I format it, will it still be 9.8 or would it somehow go back to 4.2 like my sysNAND is? (They're also unlinked if this matters).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: well.. Sorta new :)