• Views 4,441,827
  • Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any way to tell what's the original region of my 3DSXL? I'm assuming it's an American one since the serial number starts with SW but I can't get either eShop or Pokebank to work even after changing to American sysNAND, region in settings and registering an American NNID
Would you have installed cfw on the console and would you have a nand backup made thats requested before the change as the guide site suggests to do?

whatevery1wants

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been out of the scene for a few years, but I'm familiar with the ins and outs of installing CFW. I ordered a 'New' 3DS XL off eBay so I can at least grab my eShop games back before the shutdown (apparently it isn't as soon as I thought, but I'd rather not lose them). But I see that I missed a lot of eShop titles that I can no longer purchase, so is it possible to run backups of eShop titles?

I also want to download all my DS and 3DS titles to the system so I don't have to carry around a bunch of carts with me (a flash cart would be OK if I knew which one, or if I can just use a larger SD card?). I don't know what version firmware is on the device yet, waiting to hear back.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to tell what's the original region of my 3DSXL?
Apart from serial number, i'd say try with 3dsident?
I'm assuming it's an American one since the serial number starts with SW but I can't get either eShop or Pokebank to work even after changing to American sysNAND, region in settings and registering an American NNID
You can't access the eShop once you do a region change, either the first time or the second time (the one you did).
===
so is it possible to run backups of eShop titles?
With cfw? yes, and obviously you're on your own about where to find these "backup" titles..
I also want to download all my DS and 3DS titles to the system so I don't have to carry around a bunch of carts with me (a flash cart would be OK if I knew which one, or if I can just use a larger SD card?).
Yes you can, you can get a large sd card and install 3ds and ds games on it without the need of carrying carts. You can dump your cartridges (ds & 3ds) and install them to your system with GodMode9.

JungoTorii

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Would you have installed cfw on the console and would you have a nand backup made thats requested before the change as the guide site suggests to do?
Mine came with CFW preinstalled so I'm not sure what the original one was and I did neglect to back it up.
Apart from serial number, i'd say try with 3dsident?
Thank you, tried it and while the model line says "OLD 3DS XL - SPR (Retail - USA)", the serial number field actually starts with SJF. The Initial System version field says 4.4.0-10J so it actually MIGHT be a Japanese model? I guess since I've come this far I might as well try changing to a Japanese sysNAND.
You can't access the eShop once you do a region change, either the first time or the second time (the one you did).
Even if I format the system and change to the original region?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: JungoTorii

fmab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I recently got a 3DS LL in Japanese because they are less expensive than the US versions right now, and installed homebrew, cfw, and everything so I could play U.S. region games and do other things. I didn’t region unlock it because it doesn’t bother me enough to put in the effort to change it.
However, I decided to start up my old copy of New Leaf on a cartridge and I was instantly prompted to update it. I thought it was kinda weird because I’m pretty sure my cartridge is the welcome amiibo version so it already has the update? But I let it update. Then when the home screen popped up it was obviously not my town and when I tried to start the game it said the save data was corrupted and would be deleted. I have a 2ds XL in english so I put the exact same cartridge in that console to see if the save data was actually corrupted, and it was not. The game loaded in normally with my town intact. Then back on my Japanese 3DS, I installed the U.S. New Leaf welcome amiibo cia to see if I could transfer my save that way, and again was prompted that my save data was corrupted. So it seems to be something specific on my JPN console that I am missing, not my cartridge or save itself. Is it something to do with my sysNAND? Is it because I never region swapped my console, the “update” is for the Japanese version and so the only way to fix it would be to set my 3ds to US/English and update it that way. Otherwise I totally have no idea what I am doing wrong or how to fix it.
Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was kinda weird because I’m pretty sure my cartridge is the welcome amiibo version so it already has the update?
The Japanese eShop thinks you have the Japanese version of the game, which might not come with the update, because normally you can't play an out-of-region cartridge (region lock).
I'd suggest running Luma Locale Switcher to boot the game, also if you had any dlc or game update installed on your previous 2ds, you need to install it on this system too (the save file requires it).
2nd thing, is to backup the extdata with Checkpoint, i assume NL uses it, so back it up and restore it on this new 3ds (you could do the same for the save file if you want to).
But I let it update.
Just remove it. If the NA release and JP use different title ids that JP game update won't be used.
Then when the home screen popped up it was obviously not my town and when I tried to start the game it said the save data was corrupted and would be deleted.
Good thing you didn't overwrite the save..
I'd back up the save ASAP with Checkpoint if i were you.
Also, you could install the cartridge directly in your new 3ds without the needing the cartridge ever again (with GodMode9).
so the only way to fix it would be to set my 3ds to US/English and update it that way.
Don't region change the 3ds there's other ways to get around this, like the method i described above.

Reactions: fmab

Lavender01

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello everyone, i have an issue with ddlc love (a homebrew port of a game) i played the game for about an hour, saved multiple times (but it saved super quick) then loaded the save game again and i got an arm11 error which only went away after pressing b, not if i pressed power and then rebooted. Before anyone bring up h2testw, yes i will test the sd card, i have been wanting to do it for a long time. But in the meantime (i am at school rn) i was wondering if there is anything else i can do to try and fix it? I have saved the crash dump, and deleted the title plus ticket. I do still have the save file.

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the maximum SD card size for the 3DS? And does it change for the New 3DS/2DS? I remember hearing it was 64 GB but also that people could use larger sizes too. To be fair, the size limit on Android has always been bogus and usually far over what the manufacturer says.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the maximum SD card size for the 3DS?
I've seen some people use 400gb sd cards, and i know 256gb ones work too. maybe 512gb ones too, but i'm not sure.
Important things to consider is, first to get one that's genuine (not fake), 2nd is boot up time, if you're going to fill a 400gb card to the brim with games expect to take some time to boot (an additional 30secs or something)..
And does it change for the New 3DS/2DS?
No.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, thanks for that I guess... you didn't even remotely answer my question. you just stated an opinion about fake SD cards....
I have both a new 3DSXL and a standard 3DSXL w/ CFW running janky Chinese SD cards I don't trust, and I want to swap them for PNY sd cards. Would I be able to simply plug both SD cards into my PC and transfer the data to the new SD card or is there more to it than that?

To get back on your question, as long the card is legit, and format correctly it will work as long you have no emunand on the 3ds.

miguel4979

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys. So long story short when I was younger and getting into hacking I formatted my sd card cause I didn't want my account to be associated with hacks not realizing that my account was still gonna be there. But before I did that I wanted to make sure that I backed up my photos cause I did want to keep those. However now that I'm checking what I backed up I see the DCIM folder, the Nintendo 3ds folder, and the private folder. Is it possible to recover some of my save data? I'm mainly concerned with 1, streetpass because I streetpassed with the Golden pants Reggie, iwata, Miyamoto, etc and 2, pokemon art academy extdata because I believe I downloaded back then a gengar sketch painting that people currently are on the lookout for. Any knowledge is appreciated thanks!

Attachments

• 20230310_181308.jpg
    20230310_181308.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I formatted my sd card
now that I'm checking what I backed up I see the DCIM folder, the Nintendo 3ds folder, and the private folder.
The 32id folder inside the Nintendo 3ds folder is what contains your installed games and save data (for digital titles).
If you have that folder intact, this is worth a look.
Also it might not work if you're still on A9lh (not b9s, or if were using Gateway3DS ) but i'm not sure..
Is it possible to recover some of my save data?
Depends if you still have the necessary files mentioned in the link above.
Also you're still going to dump each save one by one manually like it describes in the link..

Mkami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello! I don't know if this question has been asked many times before and I am super new to here. I just got my 3DS jailbroken. I got a few games, now I noticed that cheats when applied for Pokemon Ruby Omega it seems to crash even though its the right file loading up from Checkpoint. I also noticed some videos of users using ActionReplay. Does it work with the current Luma? I tried following the steps but unforutenly the menu for the ActionReplay never pops up even while pressing the Select button. I would greatly appreciate the help! Thanks community :)

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey, i was wondering if there was a way to transfer Pokémon from a gba emulator to a unmodded 3ds if there is can anyone help me out?
Gba save to B/W save (using PKHeX), B/W save to Poketransporter, then to Bank.
Post automatically merged:

I found this online
jey09ygrrxf41.png

Last edited by CoolMe,

liavcol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Has anyone ever encountered a "prefetch abort" exception when trying to backup a save data for a game on cartridge using Checkpoint?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone ever encountered a "prefetch abort" exception when trying to backup a save data for a game on cartridge using Checkpoint?
Are you able to make use of that save file when playing the game itself? Or does the console give a error when trying to read the save you have?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them