Hardware 3DS Nintendo Repair Nightmare - Help!

corvette77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Here goes:

I bought a 3DS on launch day. I popped in Ghose Recon and started playing. Five minutes later, the screen just goes black with white text saying "There's been an error, please power down now". I do that, and five minutes later, same thing. So I go to another game in try out Steel Driver. Same problem. I lived with it for a few weeks because I just got the system and didn't want to part with it. Everything else worked fine, including streetpass. Even got a few tags.

Finally though I got fed up and sent it to nintendo. Three weeks later my system finally arrives back. Pop in Ghost Recon and played for several hours with no problem. Tested another game, no error message. All seemed well. Then I went into the Mii Plaza to go play Puzzle Quest and use some of the coins I'd accumulated. It said I had to activate streetpass, which I had assumed was already on because I never deactivated it. So I go back to the Mii Plaza and turn it on. It said "Saving..." and then froze. I powered off and tried again. Same problem. I even let it sit for almost half hour hoping it'd unfreeze to no avail. So I call Nintendo back aid WTF. They couldn't figure it out so I was given two option. I could do an advance replacement, pay five bucks, get a new system, and send the defective system back at my convenience. Problem is I have things saved in system memory that can't be transferred to SD card like streetpass tags I didn't want to lose. They also they can't transfer my account to a new 3DS (they cite policy, not technical reasons), so I'd have to pay AGAIN for what already bought.

So I choose option two and send in my system again. Three more weeks later and I just get it back. The first thing I do is go to the Mii Plaza and fire up Puzzle Quest. And again, my streetpass was off. So I go to turn it on and the damn thing FREEZES YET AGAIN! Furious, I get Nintendo on the phone, get passed off to the technical department, and the rep couldn't figure it out. He said to me they had no records of this problem in their repair logs. Considering the hundreds of thousands that have been sold in the US, I find it extremely difficult to believe I'm they don't have a single record of another occurance on file.

Trying to think outside the box, I thought maybe the memory card could be the problem since Nintendo requires you not send that or the stylus when you go do a return. I copied all the data files from my original SD card, transferred it all to my PC, formatted the new card, and then put the files on. I got back to activate streetpass and it freezes. The only other thing I could think of was to try to activate it through a game, so I put in Super Street Fighter. You can activate streetpass there in the options. I go to do that and surprise...it froze.

I've had three different 3DS systems now (according to one of Nintendo's reps, they have three serial numbers on file. My original worked fine. The only thing I can think of is maybe it's a file on the SD card that's causing this. I'm on the latest firmware. I've never put a flash card in there. I've never messed with the battery. I'm at a comple loss. I'm absolutely stunned a company would send back a repair, say it was fixed, and have the exact same issue pop up. Don't they test these things before they say it's good?

Any ideas? I'm open to any suggestions and figure you guys probably would be ahead of Nintendo anyways. They seem clueless about their own hardware. Thanks in adavance.

corvette77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I'm already on it, version 2.1.0-3. My system already came back from Nintendo with that firmware installed. Just tried an update a second ago to confirm, but I'm up to date.

saintrobyn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was a known bug in Ghost Recon and I had the same problem. After digging around to find a solution on the Ubisoft forums that fixed everything. The fix for it is simple, turn off your WiFi. After I did this I have been error screen free during my gaming sessions with Ghost Recon. I don't know if this works for Steel Diver, I don't own that game.

corvette77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Just tried changing the time, region, date, language...they all save fine. But streetpass still freezes when I try to activate it. Curious enough, I went into data settings, and there's a streetpass option. I went there and it shows all software, both system and carts, currently using streetpass. Needless to say it was completely empty. More suggestions before I whip this thing out the window?
smile.gif

Saint - I got the same error though with Steel Driver and Super Streetfighter too.

Gameplayer9198

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what stuff did you back-up before you formatted your SD card

you can try a format system memory "This will delete all downloaded software and save data . Software saved to a SD Card will no longer be usable. (some data, such as photos saved to the SD Card, will not be deleted.)"

you may have to format all of it
frown.gif

all downloaded software can be redownload on eshop

corvette77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I bought a "new" SD card and formatted that before putting anything on it. I never touched my original SD card other than copying the files from that to my PC. I've considered a system format, but I dont want to lose the progress in all my min-games, street tags, coins, even though it's probably trivial. And there's no guarentee that would work. I'd rather send my system back if it comes down to that...

serenade.63

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've sent your system in that many times and it's still happening then they probably aren't going to fix it if you send it in another time, just pay the five dollars for a new system. Either way you lose all your data and what not, formatting or new system the end result is the same, only the new system will MOST LIKELY solve your problem where as a system restore will most likely not and your data loss will have been in vain.

Gameplayer9198

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
??? That copying/moving of data to the new SD card may have messed up something or the new SD card is a failure at its job ??? other then that i see nothing that would point to this problem. ???

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
by 3DS just doesnt like you.
tongue.gif

i got my 3DS on launch & no problems at all.

but umm jokes aside have you checked the contacts on your 3DS carts?
maby dirt on the contacts are causing the 3DS to crash.
could also have been your internet connection while downloading the firmware update, virtual console, dsiware, 3dsware, classic 3D.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
gameplayer_9198 said:
??? That copying/moving of data to the new SD card may have messed up something or the new SD card is a failure at its job ??? other then that i see nothing that would point to this problem. ???
he had problems before he exchanged SD cards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Our weather is crazy here in Ohio, was 90 last week, now its in the 60's, 45 at night.