Hardware 3DS microphone trick

funem

Retro Powered..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed something strange about the 3DS. The microphone seems to be strangely more sensitive to the back of the unit than the front. Hold the 3DS as if you were playing a game and put the cursor over the download play icon so you get the rotating image of the DS’s on the top screen (you can do it with any spinning logo but this one looks good). When you blow into the mic the DS’s spin faster. OK stop blowing.

Tap the front of the console with your thumbs while still holding it in the playing grip, not much happens on the top screen. Now gently tap the back alternately with your fingers that rest on the back when you hold it… The top screen spins like crazy…..

Remember the new PSP demo video with the guy tapping the back to make the character run ? well you could apply that to this technique as well, or even simulate the cycle riding game in Wii Sports Resort…

Just a thought

Kayouu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking it was because they wanted to make the 3DS record videos later on so mic was set to record from that side better.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I was getting in my car last night from my night class, and I went to check if I had tagged anyone. I went into the plaza app, and checked a few things, all the while having started up my car. I exited the plaza to the menu, and noticed something really odd. Everything was spinning really fast. I didn't know what was going on. I turned off the unit, and turned it back on. I thought I came across a problem. Then I remembered about the microphone, so I turned my car off, and the spinning stopped to it's minimum. Turned my car back on, and everything spun fast again. That microphone is really sensitive.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
LuckySteves said:
These actually work with any of the icons, I found the AR Games the best because after a minute the box will curl up then get thrown off.
it does that anyway, but blowing makes it look like you blew it off.

Kuschel-Drow

Trophies
Website
kuschel-drow.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Huh...? I never noticed it... xD
I'd check that out right away, too bad I got KH running and can't just exit to the menu...
frown.gif

Omninox

GBATemp's™ Retired Cheats Compiler
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if im not mistaken, the mic's at the bottom, just under the touchscreen towards the right (under the Start button). That could be the reason. It's not the back, its the bottom xD

funem

Retro Powered..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
iMasaru said:
if im not mistaken, the mic's at the bottom, just under the touchscreen towards the right (under the Start button). That could be the reason. It's not the back, its the bottom xD

Tap the front of the case near the mic and its still not as sensetive as the back, I suspect tapping the back sounds hollow, so it may be an echoing inside the case.

rufus83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's some interesting info. This has nothing to do with the microphone i don't think. I'm pretty sure it's related to the accelerometer or the gyro. Yes making noise in the microphone does make the icons spin, but try shaking the system. Obviously there isn't any noise created from doing this, but the icons spin like mad. I bet tapping on the back of the unit jars one of these sensors and that's why they spin faster.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
rufus83 said:
Here's some interesting info. This has nothing to do with the microphone i don't think. I'm pretty sure it's related to the accelerometer or the gyro. Yes making noise in the microphone does make the icons spin, but try shaking the system. Obviously there isn't any noise created from doing this, but the icons spin like mad. I bet tapping on the back of the unit jars one of these sensors and that's why they spin faster.

Shaking does nothing for me. Tapping works, but that's because of the sound of the tapping directly onto the unit, which pulses through it. Vibrations work as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Is Janet Jackson alive?