Hacking 3DS may spell end to Ninty's piracy woes.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I probably should have told someone in the Mag Staff about this and let them post it. They would have made it look prettier and it could have been a news item on the portal.

Oh well, I'll try to remember to do that next time.

All I can say is that my purchase of a 3DS hinges solely on whether it gets cracked to play 3DS backups or not.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
The guy said that to throw down gaming Pirates's will.
IMHO, It works just as throwing a small rock would work against a hungry lion.

Anyway, I'm gonna buy this games; even if it means working at night...if you know what I mean

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I probably should have told someone in the Mag Staff about this and let them post it. They would have made it look prettier and it could have been a news item on the portal.

Oh well, I'll try to remember to do that next time.

All I can say is that my purchase of a 3DS hinges solely on whether it gets cracked to play 3DS backups or not.

Well good. That gives me a better chance at getting one at launch and not have to deal with supply-n-demand.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Of course it will be impossible for nintendo to create unhackable protection on its system, but with anti piracy measures, the goal is not necessarily to prevent piracy from happening at all, but rather to prevent it from becoming rampant.
EVERYONE pirates ds games because its just so easy. We are now seeing the negative consequences of this, because developers are jumping ship, and despite the nds having a huge install base, no one wants to develop good games for it anymore.

With the wii, nintendo is in a much better situation, because pirating games is much more difficult, and non-techies probably aren't doing it.

I think the ideal situation that we can have for the 3ds is one in which piracy is difficult, but not impossible.

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what I understand the solution is hardware based on each cart, so it may take awhile, but I think it will hacked in a few years unless there is gaping hole like on the wii. we will need some fairly large microsd cards, as seeing at launch 3ds carts with be 2gb

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
CamulaHikari said:
It won't be the end~! People will eventually get to it, it will just take a lot of patience. There is a way to achieve anything, if one really tries~!If it takes 4 years, nintendo will have succeeded in their actual goal, which is keeping piracy from ruining the system's profitability compared to launch.

shadow1w2 said:
It's funny how they never seem to understand that the best Anti-Piracy is to allow homebrew in one form or the other. Even if its limited at first it still wards off any interest in piracy from the talents that just want to code for the darn machine.WiiWare and DSiWare allow Indie developers and such. Remember that they ported Cave Story to WiiWare!

QUOTE(shadow1w2 @ Jul 10 2010, 11:43 AM)
If Nintendo REALLY wants to stop piracy, then they should make an official homebrew section on the machine and work with coders to block any hacks that are made for it.
Sort of like how the PS3 did OtherOS with the graphics capabilities limited?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
iNFiNiTY said:
CamulaHikari said:
It won't be the end~! People will eventually get to it, it will just take a lot of patience. There is a way to achieve anything, if one really tries~!

People can try as hard as they like it doesn't necessarily mean it'll work. See the PS3 for an example. Or the current generation of satellite receiver boxes, piracy used to be a big problem with these but now they can no longer be hacked. Closed systems can infact be secure, don't just assume something will get done just because. However saying that, i can't see Nintendo who are notoriously bad in this area to manage to do it.

I agree in part but the Satellite receiver boxes thing is perhaps not the best analogy- as I understand it they deliberately went for the small runs, even smaller moving target option whereas it would take a serious shift in ethos for the big console maker to do this (a console manages what 6 revisions in a six year run whereas sat people manage closer to 6 in 3 months and are geared towards it). To go even further such boxes are very much more of a closed system than consoles and more importantly in many ways are designed for failure.

Back on topic as it were we had a similar discussion a few months back and my opinion remains unchanged from then ( http://gbatemp.net/t226831-your-opinions-w...t&p=2857913 ).

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I the 3DS will be troublesome, because I can't imagine that Nintendo hasn't learned from the Wii and the DS. The notion that "anything is hackable" is true, but to what degree found hacks will be useful is a different matter. If said hacks require inconvenient procedures like cracking it open and soldering or installing chips, they'll succeed in having a greatly reduced piracy rate when compared to their last two systems (DSi exempted).

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
many people tought pokemon HG/SS would never be cracked, ah how wrong they had
smile.gif

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
CrimzonEyed said:
many people tought pokemon HG/SS would never be cracked, ah how wrong they had
smile.gif
Don't compare a loaf of secondhand bread with a whole top quality baguette.

However, what's assembled can be disassembled. What's programmed can be hacked; it just takes time.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Ramonra said:
what's assembled can be disassembled. What's programmed can be hacked; it just takes time.

^THIS^

It'll probably take us quite a while to crack the 3DS, but we will. Eventually. Until then I'll be paying for my 3DS games, partly so I have them available and partly to set my mind at ease when I eventually start pirating them instead
smile.gif

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
btw the PS3 HAS been cracked, just not in any useful way yet, but the fact is that where they are now, if enough people worked on the PS3 they would have piracy. therefore the whole time will end in a hack thing appears to be pretty true. we could just mug some nintendo employees for info
smile.gif

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
shadow1w2 said:
It's funny how they never seem to understand that the best Anti-Piracy is to allow homebrew in one form or the other. Even if its limited at first it still wards off any interest in piracy from the talents that just want to code for the darn machine.
WiiWare and DSiWare allow Indie developers and such. Remember that they ported Cave Story to WiiWare!

And *this* is the requirements for being an "Indie developer" on a Nintendo-based system.

Homebrew coding is not a job. It is a hobby, of which the developer(s) don't receive any money except by donations, and the software they produce is free. Homebrew, imo, is a good way for people to show off their skills and to be taken notice. Apple already does this with their App Store, in that anyone can develop for their iPhone/iTouch, and any that aren't free, Apple takes a 30% cut.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
Apple already does this with their App Store, in that anyone can develop for their iPhone/iTouch, and any that aren't free, Apple takes a 30% cut.
you have to have a license which costs $99 a year to distribute apps over their store
mellow.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Jayro, No, works fine.