Hacking 3DS may spell end to Ninty's piracy woes.

D

Deleted User

Rayder said:
Nintendo believes that all-new anti-piracy tech in 3DS will be foolproof to cracks from illegal downloaders.

SOURCE

This ought to make the hackers very interested in cracking it all the more.....tell them it's impossible.....
What a load of shit. I believe they declared the Wii and the DSi to be unhackable, too. Look what happened to them.

terminator99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
JetKun said:
Rayder said:
Nintendo believes that all-new anti-piracy tech in 3DS will be foolproof to cracks from illegal downloaders.

SOURCE

This ought to make the hackers very interested in cracking it all the more.....tell them it's impossible.....
What a load of shit. I believe they declared the Wii and the DSi to be unhackable, too. Look what happened to them.
The DSi has not been fully hacked yet, we cant play DSi content on flash cards.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think the 3DS will be different. Piracy is so rampant on the Wii/ DS, I think Nintendo are going to have to seriously over the top on the AP to please 3rd party publishers. It's so easy on the DS, even n00bs do it. Don't automatically assume the 3DS will be broken with a few months, I can easily see it taking 3-4 years.

DS Mode on the other can I can see being hacked.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seem to remember similar statements when GCN first came out. It took some time, (longer then the Wii actually, if I remember right) but modchips came out and now anybody can soft mod it with an AR and a SD adapter. Anybody who says something can't be cracked is just begging it to be cracked.

So, bottom line, it will be cracked, it's just a matter of when it will be cracked.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Berthenk said:
Ah yes, however: there wasn't much of a reward from hacking DSi mode. Only some extra processor Mhz and more RAM.
And besides that, all DSi enhanced game are mostly shovelware. Why crack DSi mode to play more shovelware?
Homebrew? Extra RAM, CPU and cameras, and running software from SD cards, that would be welcome.

I agree that the DSi mode wasn't subjected to the flood of people trying to crack it like the DS was because the drive wasn't as great, but it is still difficult to crack, otherwise someone would have cracked it one afternoon just for kicks, if nothing else. Proof of concept. Showing off. Whatever. In any case, the piracy protection isn't trivial, and that's already much more than what the DS had
laugh.gif

So yeah, they are capable of producing protection that can't be cracked in an afternoon over tea and biscuits, and with the amount of money riding on the 3DS (both by Nintendo and by all the game publishers) I bet they load it with more countermeasures than a jittery porcupine. I'm not saying it won't be cracked, but it might take some time.

terminator99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Veho said:
Berthenk said:
Ah yes, however: there wasn't much of a reward from hacking DSi mode. Only some extra processor Mhz and more RAM.
And besides that, all DSi enhanced game are mostly shovelware. Why crack DSi mode to play more shovelware?
Homebrew? Extra RAM, CPU and cameras, and running software from SD cards, that would be welcome.

I agree that the DSi mode wasn't subjected to the flood of people trying to crack it like the DS was because the drive wasn't as great, but it is still difficult to crack, otherwise someone would have cracked it one afternoon just for kicks, if nothing else. Proof of concept. Showing off. Whatever. In any case, the piracy protection isn't trivial, and that's already much more than what the DS had
laugh.gif

So yeah, they are capable of producing protection that can't be cracked in an afternoon over tea and biscuits, and with the amount of money riding on the 3DS (both by Nintendo and by all the game publishers) I bet they load it with more countermeasures than a jittery porcupine. I'm not saying it won't be cracked, but it might take some time.

There is always a possability and it will be custom firmware related me thinks.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
BobTheJoeBob said:
If it was made by humans it can be hacked by humans, that's what I always say.
I agree with that.

But since all pirates have 1 eye they lack depth perception.
meaning it's unhackable.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iNFiNiTY said:
terminator99 said:
I hope nintendo and especialy third party companys make decent games that are well worth buying for this new system, if it ends up like the ds with all of this shovelware crap that keeps creeping up....then all i can say hack away hackers, cos there is no way im buying shovelware cheap crap games.
hate2.gif

*i wish i could directly point this out to nintendo*

Yeah i remember when Reggie came to my house carrying a big sack labelled 'SHOVELWARE' and forced me to buy all of the Petz games.

laugh.gif

Let hack this over a pot of tea shall we
laugh.gif

That be some what awesome to hear it hack over a pot of tea
laugh.gif

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The Pi said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
If it was made by humans it can be hacked by humans, that's what I always say.
I agree with that.

But since all pirates have 1 eye they lack depth perception.
meaning it's unhackable.

LOL. But it's not even the pirates who hack it.

I believe that we will be using DS Flashcarts ~1 year after launch, 3DS Flashcarts ~1.5 years after launch, and CFW after ~4 years.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mezut360 said:
they said they added a bit of the dsi anti-piracy so the quicker the dsi the quicker the 3ds
Not necessarily, the DSi and 3DS could have completely different AP's meaning hacking the DSi could prove to have no benefit in the hacking of the 3DS.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's no way the 3DS will have the same AP as the DSi, there's a lot they can do. The DSi is just a DS with a few bells and whistles on. Nintendo needs this AP to last 4-5 years, and if it is cracked it's got be difficult enough to bypass that it doesn't get into the mainstream and become the 'norm'.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny how they never seem to understand that the best Anti-Piracy is to allow homebrew in one form or the other. Even if its limited at first it still wards off any interest in piracy from the talents that just want to code for the darn machine.

If Nintendo REALLY wants to stop piracy, then they should make an official homebrew section on the machine and work with coders to block any hacks that are made for it.

It seems to me, that they a actually want piracy, I mean it seems so obvious these days.
But oh well, guess we'll be playing the hacking game once again just to get some unofficial 3D cubes on the screen.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Back in the day when the DSiXL was released ( not so long ago ? ) , I was laughing at people saying that they'll just wait for the 3DS..........And I wrote it as well....it's better an egg today than a chicken tomorrow ( that's an old saying ).
For all we know, it could take between 2 and four years to be hacked ( counting the months/year that we still have to wait for it to be released ), and I'll be enjoying my XL for years to come, and probably even more , since DS games will still look better on the XL screen, compared to any other version of the handheld they come up with.
Sometimes I hate it when I predict staff, and that's because I'm usually right,but what's the point in arguing with prejudgment and ignorance ?

trans am

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
David600Villa said:
Nothing is impossible, it just takes time
tongue.gif

Remember how much time it took to crack the Dreamcast Bleemcasts (Tekken, GT2 and MGS2)? People used to think it was impossible, for years people tried then last year a Russian cracker finally managed somehow, almost 10 years later
tongue.gif

I think anyone reasonable would prefer if piracy only kicks at the end of the commercial life of the system, it's the ideal situation because devs can't blame it on piracy if a game doesn't sell and people who want to get into the system don't have to track hard to find games or imports.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shadow1w2 said:
It's funny how they never seem to understand that the best Anti-Piracy is to allow homebrew in one form or the other. Even if its limited at first it still wards off any interest in piracy from the talents that just want to code for the darn machine.

If Nintendo REALLY wants to stop piracy, then they should make an official homebrew section on the machine and work with coders to block any hacks that are made for it.

It seems to me, that they a actually want piracy, I mean it seems so obvious these days.
But oh well, guess we'll be playing the hacking game once again just to get some unofficial 3D cubes on the screen.
I disagree.

To me the biggest thing to prevent anti-piracy, is not to make games region specific and to release all regions at the same.

If they release a Pokemon game for the 3DS which only works on Japanese consoles, and won't be released in the US for 6-9 months. You can bet your bottom dollar it will give people a big reason to pirate.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Lets say that it is going to be 100% hack proof.

Whose going to laugh if the 3DS does worse than the DS? Wouldn't it be funny if DS' success was because the piracy everyone was bitching about?

I wonder how badly piracy affected the 30 Million+ copies of Pokemon Pearl+Diamond+Platinum+Gold+Silver that have already been sold...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1