Hardware 3ds lower case screws DON'T want to unscrew.

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
OK, after so much time I FINALLY got myself a philips #0 screwdriver.
Time to open this stupid thing and fix the R button at last.

AND the screws are just STUCK there.

Poggers.

I tried applying pressure to them but to no avail.
I feel like I'm in a dead end.

Any ideas?

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
(Try at your own risk) - You could try using a hammer: put the screwdriver into the stuck screw (make sure it is correctly sitting in the screw in a position that would normally turn it), hold it tightly with one hand, and then softly hit the screwdriver from the top a few times with the hammer. Then try turning the screw while still trying to push it in from the top and holding it strongly enough. This has worked for me well on multiple 2DS and 3DS systems, just be sure to put the system on a slightly softer surface and to not go too hard with the hammer to avoid damage. It has worked for me without causing any damage, but do it at your own risk.

JackandDick1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The screws are anchored...they won't come out. Nintendo did this on purpose to ensure you don't lose the screws. As long as you can see that they are in fact turning, then once you turn them to a point, you pop the case shell off using the little grooved hinges on the side next to the screws...i just did this 5 minutes ago

Last edited by JackandDick1,

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
OK, for the longest time, I thought I had the wrong screwdriver for the 3rd time BUT, I tried screws in different positions and YES! They got out! But the anchored screws are still stuck and I gave all the pressure I had but they just wouldn't come out.

EDIT: NEVER FLIPPIN MIND, I just needed to turn the ENTIRE system around in order to unscrew the screws.
Also, they were STIPPED, not anchored.
Edit 2: I give up. I got ONE stripped screw out, but the other ones, they won't operate wiTH ME
Edit 3 (damn): Nvm it just needs REAL pressure. Like, you need to FEEL the screwdriver if you want any sign of success.
EDIT FREAKING 4: I GIve up. There's these 3 screws that just WON'T come out, NOPE.

Last edited by EpikJimmer,

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I also had a similar issue with my o3DS since it needed some repairs. I removed the screws of the cover, but when I had to go further, one of them was stuck and wouldn't rotate. I was too lazy so I gave up, sold the console and called it a day. But if that's not your option, you should use rubber, place it on the screw and start rotating. Otherwise just use a hammer but be extremely careful.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
sometimes if the thread has gone but your still getting the head to spin you can just pull the case apart while unscrewing and it will latch back to the thread, if you have stripped the screws head and can no longer get it to spin at all you can use a really small drill bit to drill the head off the screw then use pliers to unscrew the shaft once you have the case off and replace the screws, just be careful though as the screw will heat up and start to melt the case slightly if you just go at it, better to do it in short bursts, just make sure you use a good quality screwdriver in future that fits perfectly if its slightly too big or too small you will end up stripping the screw heads

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
OK, I think I know what's going on.
upload_2021-5-31_12-7-46.png

Some screws look like this. I have no idea why. The other screws are, y'know, normal +shaped screws. But this one looks really weird. Plus, the other ones that i've been able to unscrew were gray, but these ones are plain white.

I'm confused, why are there 4 screws that are different.
That's definetely not normal and it might have to do with the fact that I bought this used.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: sorry for misspell and posts