Round of applause for the R4 team!
biggrin.gif

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
doyama said:
Nintendo has been VERY protective of their stuff in Japan, blocking imports of flashcarts, and even getting laws passed making digital copies of games illegal in Japan (you can see that on new NDS games which load with the Japanese equivalent of the old FBI logo telling you not to steal).

All Nintendo have managed to do in Japan is push DS carts further away from the realm of friendly neighborhood geek making a quick buck on the side and closer to some the gang communities. DS cards are big business in Japan and are still easy to find, especially in Tokyo, only now you have to go to a backstreet store and buy one in cash as opposed to ordering it online from China.

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
HOLY SHIT! here goes everyone thinking Supercard or someone else will be the first to crack it, and now along comes R4, pulls itself out of a void and shocks everyone! Ninty was complacent that with R4 ended, it didn't need to block its AP-bypass. Serves you right Ninty! Also this negates the idea that the 3DS is using a voltage sensor, if R4 drains more power than the average DS chip.
PS: get this off the Net ASAP, Nintendo probably have a spy in our ranks. If they see this, our current ray of hope is GONE very quickly.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic alone has established 29 pages of absolute lunacy, with only two handfuls of reasonable posts. It's kinda amusing.

leeday100196

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DarkMario616 said:
Not sure if people still believe that the cart was inserted or not but here:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4959/tablee.png

It's the table.

Also leeday has no idea what he's talking about. I laughed.
all right you caught me out, but youre only half-right. I have some idea of what i'm talking about, then I bullshit the rest. But i stand strong in my belief that Ninty has a spy in our ranks. Maybe because you brushed it off so quickly, but i suspect it might be YOU.

leeday100196

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another World said:
why in the hell would they need a spy when everything we type and post is public? i'm 100% sure they know about our community. google any flash kit, homebrew, rom, or hack, and you find a gbatemp link. =P

-another world
SHUT UP! please im trying to look intelligent here!

on the other hand, i didnt think of that.... i think i'll shut up before I dig myself a hole too deep to get out of.
p1ng.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You bring up good points and reasoning, so don't take this as being picked apart, I'm just responding to each point.

doyama said:
It can really depend on the country. In some regions the device itself is illegal since it can be used to circumvent the DS security. In other places only the software itself is illegal since the device as sold is useless.But they've already sold a flashcard, a new one would be no less illegal in those areas.

doyama said:
I think ultimately it might have been a business decision. The market was saturated with clones, that had access to the very factories making their own product. They couldn't compete with the clones undercutting them. So they pursued a method in which they could justify the increased cost by differntiateing themselves from other clones.But not Evolution clones aside from the Edge, but even then it was under a different name not like the R4 where everyone was using the name.

doyama said:
Nintendo has been VERY protective of their stuff in Japan, blocking imports of flashcarts, and even getting laws passed making digital copies of games illegal in Japan (you can see that on new NDS games which load with the Japanese equivalent of the old FBI logo telling you not to steal). It's not clear why they never really pursued it beyond their country however.
Yeah, from what I know, in Japan holds a lot of sway with the government... and America is following closely behind in recent years (the guy with the 'stolen' iPhone 4 that practically had a SWAT Team visit him, the whole thing with the RIAA/MPAA, etc) so maybe they're just waiting for someone else to make the moves first, realizing that they can keep clean of the mess and reap the 'rewards' later on.

QUOTE(doyama @ Feb 27 2011, 01:43 AM)
Certainly you could at the very least make a trademark infringement by using the Game and Watch logo, even if the hack itself was legal. It's a bit odd especially considering Sony's very very heavy handed smashing of the PS3Jailbreak and the subsequent arrests.
When I first read the article after it was posted, I was honestly expecting Nintendo to go after Datel simply because Datel was a legit business.

DarkMario616

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
leeday100196 said:
DarkMario616 said:

It's the table.

all right you caught me out, but youre only half-right. I have some idea of what i'm talking about, then I bullshit the rest. But i stand strong in my belief that Ninty has a spy in our ranks. Maybe because you brushed it off so quickly, but i suspect it might be YOU.

You caught me, I am Shigeru Miyamoto.

leeday100196

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DarkMario616 said:
leeday100196 said:
DarkMario616 said:

It's the table.

[sarcasm]I KNEW IT! So there Another World! [/sarcasm]

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DarkMario616 said:
leeday100196 said:
DarkMario616 said:

It's the table.

And me without my "Ceiling Miyamoto is watching you masturbate" pic.
I made it for an occasion just like this but for the AceKard2i

Close enough: http://i54.tinypic.com/30aarr6.jpg

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Twisted just to clarify a few points

In terms of the previous carts being legal is true. But it gets a bit hazy when you've gone from releasing a cart that hacks the DS, to releasing a cart that has a clear trademark infringement on it, and to claim in both cases you're 'innocent' might be difficult. Don't give lawyers a reason to come after you. Geohot put a snarky "Sony you should hire me" when he released the PS3 hack, now that's coming back to haunt him as a "solicitation for services for blackmail".

When I referred to clones I was talking about the market in general, so clone probably was a bad word to use. Really we had reached a saturation point where every cart was more or less the same as any other. Compatibility was pretty much 100%. Homebrew support was given, etc. The only real differentiator was price. The Chinese carts all had direct access to manufacturing thus reducing their costs significantly. TC seems to be not based out of China thus appears to incur a significant increase in manufacturing costs. Without a real differentiator in features, and high manufacturing costs with respect to the other Chinese flash carts, it might not have made sense to make a DSi one financially speaking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Veho, let @AncientBoi fix it