3DS firmware 11.8 potentially brings the Switch's method of piracy detection

Untitled.png

Looks like this is it. According to a tweet from SciresM, the latest 3DS firmware update 11.8 has ported the Nintendo Switch's piracy detection systems to the console. This strategy enables Nintendo to perfectly distinguish pirated and legit games going online and has been used before to detect and ban pirates on Switch. This is not something that can be avoided with homebrew. According to SciresM, Nintendo hasn't acted on 3DS pirates yet, but can choose to do so any time in the future.

Be careful, guys.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Would they be able to detect that you're playing out of region physical games and ban you from using those? (like playing puyo chronicles online)
IIRC they've always been detecting out-of-region online activities and banned people for them.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC they've always been detecting out-of-region online activities and banned people for them.
oh interesting, I've been playing online on puyo chronicle for a very long time and have been lucky not to get banned (I play using a physical cartridge btw)

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless of whether or not you can get unbanned, this is still quite annoying no matter how you look at it.
True it is annoying to have to unban yourself if you use method 3. Method 1 and 2 are not really that annoying though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also couldn't we just stay on 11.7 so that nintendo cant use the anti piracy protection?

Reactions: Deleted User

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, I've always thought that if you always keep it off you are banning yourself.

Same. Like if you're just going to ALWAYS have wi-fi disabled, what's the big deal with getting a ban? May as well just stay online and enjoy it while you can because keeping wi-fi off 24/7 365 has the same effect.

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am glad my super paranoia worked in my favor. I have all my .cia games (from my dumped games) stored on an offline emunand, while keeping my system nand legit (to an extent).

I hope this encourages people to find a way to get cart dumps to load on the 3DS without needing to convert it to a .cia file.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Your dad still got laid +1