Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DiscostewSM said:
Panzer Tacticer said:
Regarding comments mentioning EULAs etc.

It should be mentioned that in some cases EULAs are actually invalidated by some laws. In Canada for instance an EULA not presented to be read BEFORE cash changes hands, has zero worth and is void. That's Canadian law and nothing Nintendo writes can suspend or invalidate Canadian law whether you say yes or no.

So just agreeing to an EULA means nothing if it violates the legal code.

Companies don't make laws, nations make laws.

So keep it in mind, if the nation you live in contradicts a contract, the contract loses, not the law.

The above was not opinion. It called fact by the way kids
smile.gif

There's a reason why it is legal in Canada to own software that can rip out DRM if it prevents me from making a legal back up copy of a program. Because in Canada it is legal to make back up copies regardless of what is written in the EULA. And saying I won't do it during install, does not mean I can't later, because the company was never able to usurp the law in the first place.

If your nation says you can return a product in 30 days if it is defective for a refund, then it is not relevant if a store doesn't like that they don't accept returns on PC games for instance. The store can't edit alter or deny legal rights just by writing up a policy. Sometimes sales are NOT final.

Of course the country's law take priority in such matters, but if a product operates in a certain way which is against the law, then that product is unlawful, yes? It would be banned from the country, yes? If it's not banned or is being sold in that country, then that country must be allowing what it does, yes? So, if you wanted a 3DS, but you lived in a country that found it unlawful because of what it does, then you're out of luck. Should you then import it, or buy it on the black market, then the country has no jurisdiction in the matter because the product was not acquired/purchased by legal means.
Uh, auto updates aren't so much illegal as they are just asinine. His post just says that Nintendo's EULA doesn't mean shit in canada unless it's presented before cash trades hands.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
silverbullet1080 said:
Uh, auto updates aren't so much illegal as they are just asinine. His post just says that Nintendo's EULA doesn't mean shit in canada unless it's presented before cash trades hands.

If it's not illegal, then it doesn't matter if people feel violated by Nintendo forcing auto-updates, which is what people were complaining about in the first place, that Nintendo doesn't have the right to do so. The EULA wasn't the subject of the thread, but I only brought it up, not just because it told them otherwise, but because Nintendo states in it that they will do updates without notice to the user of their devices, no matter what. Even if the law of the country ignores the EULA when not presented in the correct fashion, it won't stop Nintendo from doing what they'll say. That's when the issue of legality would come in, if what they're doing is legal to begin with. If it's not illegal, then it's a closed case, and people will have to live with what Nintendo plans to do. If it is illegal (in the country stating it), then the product is illegal, and would therefore be banned, taking the product out of the equation entirely. The country cold tell Nintendo to change the hardware to prevent that, but it'll be Nintendo's choice, not the users, and if Nintendo feels they can do without selling the product to that country, then that's their decision. Either way, Nintendo makes the decision, not the users.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm actually quite proud of them.
I've been trying to quit piracy for like... A WHILE NOW.
This is me:
"OMG Unwound Future came out!
ohnoes.png
"
"Crap I can't afford right now.."
"Maybe I'll TRY it on my AceKard"
"Ooo fun game!
biggrin.gif
"
10 hours of straight gameplay later:
"Oops I finished it. No point in buying the game now."
You see piracy totally ruins the joy of getting a new game.
You should've seen me when I bought Pokemon Heartgold and Pirated SoulSilver.
2 COMPLETELY different reactions.

Mylar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bah.

No access to homebrew might keep the 3DS out of my pocket.

Unless Nintendo ports nethack over themselves as an act of kindness or a downloadable game...

Is it sad that my M3i zero gets used primarily to play a game from the 80's?

silverbullet1080

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DiscostewSM said:
silverbullet1080 said:

If it's not illegal, then it doesn't matter if people feel violated by Nintendo forcing auto-updates, which is what people were complaining about in the first place, that Nintendo doesn't have the right to do so. The EULA wasn't the subject of the thread, but I only brought it up, not just because it told them otherwise, but because Nintendo states in it that they will do updates without notice to the user of their devices, no matter what. Even if the law of the country ignores the EULA when not presented in the correct fashion, it won't stop Nintendo from doing what they'll say. That's when the issue of legality would come in, if what they're doing is legal to begin with. If it's not illegal, then it's a closed case, and people will have to live with what Nintendo plans to do. If it is illegal (in the country stating it), then the product is illegal, and would therefore be banned, taking the product out of the equation entirely. The country cold tell Nintendo to change the hardware to prevent that, but it'll be Nintendo's choice, not the users, and if Nintendo feels they can do without selling the product to that country, then that's their decision. Either way, Nintendo makes the decision, not the users.
The hardware doesn't need to be changed though, it's just a software issue.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DiscostewSM said:
Then you are purposefully limiting yourself to what you can do on it, and what games you can play. Firmware updates are just that, updates. Fixes bugs. Adds functionality.

What the hell are you smoking? 90% of firmware updates to gaming systems in recent years have been nothing but blocking exploits. No updates, no added functionalities... the only reason games released later require those updates to play is just another way to guarantee people will be forced to update the exploit-blocking firmware.

Nintendo can rant against piracy all they want, but though I don't pirate myself I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of pirates would never buy all their pirated games. They'd perhaps by a few games a year; only their favourites. If that... since they may not even bother buying the system at all if they can't pirate. The PSP Go's epic failure indicates that (as well as the fact digital distribution isn't nearly as the gaming industry believes).

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
DiscostewSM said:
Then you are purposefully limiting yourself to what you can do on it, and what games you can play. Firmware updates are just that, updates. Fixes bugs. Adds functionality.

What the hell are you smoking? 90% of firmware updates to gaming systems in recent years have been nothing but blocking exploits. No updates, no added functionalities... the only reason games released later require those updates to play is just another way to guarantee people will be forced to update the exploit-blocking firmware.

Nintendo can rant against piracy all they want, but though I don't pirate myself I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of pirates would never buy all their pirated games. They'd perhaps by a few games a year; only their favourites. If that... since they may not even bother buying the system at all if they can't pirate. The PSP Go's epic failure indicates that (as well as the fact digital distribution isn't nearly as the gaming industry believes).

Perhaps I should have added "stability" to the list since hacks to the system to allow piracy aren't 100% safe. The makers of those hacks can't make any guarantees, and if something goes wrong, then you're on your own. Nintendo then has to use their firmware updates to clear up the junk that was modified. Not saying the firmware update is 100% safe either (as was a case not too long ago involving the Wii and the boot2), but at least companies like Nintendo will try and ensure that the product will work again or continue to work, even at a cost to them.

Now, if their method for AP is genuine on the 3DS, then maybe they can move resources from AP development to actual functionality development, yes?

ShadowTails

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I don't really care too much if there isn't some sort of exploit. Flashcards just make it easier for Pokemon battlers to record battles. Not to mention get Pokemon, because not everyone has time to breed. Though there's GTS exploits that I'm sure will carry through to the 3DS Pokemon games.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
sstomouth said:
Fuck that shit, if it is true, Nintendo will lose sales from me and other pirates. What fags.
i say fuck the pyrates,
you really think 90 % of people pyrat there games?
if 90% did they wouldnt be able to make 3ds becouse theyd be in debth.

imlgl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a flashcart for 1 reason, and that was to pirate games, i have no intentions on ever buying a game for a handheld console, hell i dont even buy android apps i get cracked ones.
I only buy games for 1 console and that is my xbox
smile.gif

SgtThom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
t377y000 said:
sstomouth said:
Fuck that shit, if it is true, Nintendo will lose sales from me and other pirates. What fags.
i say fuck the pyrates,
you really think 90 % of people pyrat there games?
if 90% did they wouldnt be able to make 3ds becouse theyd be in debth.

*Insert face palm gif here*

Cuber

Trophies
Website
mytgn.co.uk
XP
Country
Opium said:
The only reason why this may be a big deal is because it is very likely the 3DS will be region locked (which is totally stupid). So I await the day the 3DS can be hacked to make it region free.
Indeed it is... :/ I got in an argument with someone who says the only reason they're region locking them now is because of piracy... I don't see how region locking really prevents piracy, even if that is the reason... it's just dumb...

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cuber said:
Opium said:
The only reason why this may be a big deal is because it is very likely the 3DS will be region locked (which is totally stupid). So I await the day the 3DS can be hacked to make it region free.
Indeed it is... :/ I got in an argument with someone who says the only reason they're region locking them now is because of piracy... I don't see how region locking really prevents piracy, even if that is the reason... it's just dumb...
How is that the reason at all, that would require them to know that their console was going to be pirated before they released it... DRM is used to stop piracy not region locking.

Cuber

Trophies
Website
mytgn.co.uk
XP
Country
antwill said:
Cuber said:
Opium said:

How is that the reason at all, that would require them to know that their console was going to be pirated before they released it... DRM is used to stop piracy not region locking.

You'd have to ask him lol..

But yeah, being someone who lives in the UK.. and does like to import DS games (Pokémon black for example) it's really annoying for me for them to now decide to region lock their handhelds...

Edit:
QUOTE(stanleyopar2000 @ Oct 1 2010, 05:53 PM) QUOTE(Seek01 @ Oct 1 2010, 05:21 AM)
This won't change anything. Add WEP for your house's wifi and don't give the key to your 3DS. Also, is the 3DS always in sleep mode when its not on? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do it if it were off completely.

This might be a problem for some, but I hardly go by any wifi connection that doesn't have some sort of encryption

then you woulden't be able to go to the 3DStore and download usless Gameboy and GameBoy Color Games (why no advance Nintendo??
hate2.gif
)
Now I'm confused, I thought a site I read said they mentioned GBA games to... if there's really no GBA, then boy.. I am pissed.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Region locking is used to protect prices (so they can charge more in a country that's relatively richer and not risk the citizens just importing it from a poor country cheaply) and also segregate content (for example in Europe bare breasts are fine while violence is not, and the opposite in the US).

The sites that said GBA games were reporting on a mistranslation.

Cuber

Trophies
Website
mytgn.co.uk
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Region locking is used to protect prices (so they can charge more in a country that's relatively richer and not risk the citizens just importing it from a poor country cheaply) and also segregate content (for example in Europe bare breasts are fine while violence is not, and the opposite in the US).

Although in South Africa games are like R500 ($73.67) and that country is considered 3rd world...

I don't get the need to segregate the content, I mean if something needs to be removed here fine whatever... bad to sell it but what's wrong with someone just owning it... >_>; I guess it's easier to accept kind of when you live in the US and not the EU... and used to being screwed over..

Oh well, I do hope it gets hacked to be region free like I did to my wii, but then with all this it's gonna be kinda hard... maybe if I get lots of money all a sudden I should buy a US one and a JP one.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cuber said:
Rydian said:

Although in South Africa games are like R500 ($73.67) and that country is considered 3rd world...

I don't get the need to segregate the content, I mean if something needs to be removed here fine whatever... bad to sell it but what's wrong with someone just owning it... >_>; I guess it's easier to accept kind of when you live in the US and not the EU... and used to being screwed over..

Oh well, I do hope it gets hacked to be region free like I did to my wii, but then with all this it's gonna be kinda hard... maybe if I get lots of money all a sudden I should buy a US one and a JP one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I was adding some stuff to my gdevelop project and I couldnt save it cuz there was a power outage and thus no internet
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ have you played super smash flash 2?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Not really.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, ok sorry
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh, no need to apologize. Thanks for asking.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You ever played Super Mario Crossover Flash?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its one of the best Mario games in Flash, where you can choose from a number of different Nintendo characters to play as.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i already told you i did play it
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Oh, I honestly don't remember, it was a long while ago I imagine.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, it was like a couple months ago
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Man, the new art of Callie from Splatoon's Twitter account looks so amazing and cute
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, any other nostalgic flash games you played?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, any other nostalgic flash games you played?