3DS could feature automatic firmware updates

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
Wintrale said:
jalaneme said:
or none at all, i don't support game companies who take away our rights sony do it, and now nintendo are taking that route well a big up yours to nintendo, it just shows how messed up this world is.

Yes, it certainly does when someone spouts nonsense like "piracy is our right". We pirate because we're either cheap or poor, not because it's our right. It's Nintendo's right to stop us pirating - it isn't our right to stop them from stopping us from pirating. Nintendo receive practically no benefits whatsoever from pirates, regardless of the nonsense people will spread to try to make it sound like piracy is more beneficial than it is detrimental. Everyone who pirates games is a thief, so stop trying to make us sound like we're Robin bloody Hood. 'Cause we ain't. Stop acting so damn proud of the fact that you're a pirate. There's nothing to be proud of.

I sooo agree with Wintrale.

This should be it.

Crahlo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Omega_2 said:
boudincaca said:
Just adding the update server to your router blacklist will do the job.

But maybe Nintendo are smarter than that, Like disabling completely the 3DS after a certain date:
firmware works only during 6 month, then a new one is out, either with new feature or pushing the date to 6 extra month
the 3DS will run only after the update is completed.
That makes me want to return it to where I got it from

Me too. Other than that, I DON'T HAVE any good Wi-fi internet connexion. What will I do if Nintendo forces Updates? I can't do it. (It's not that I don't want, I'm just not able to.)

silverbullet1080

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
klim28 said:
Wintrale said:
jalaneme said:
or none at all, i don't support game companies who take away our rights sony do it, and now nintendo are taking that route well a big up yours to nintendo, it just shows how messed up this world is.

Yes, it certainly does when someone spouts nonsense like "piracy is our right". We pirate because we're either cheap or poor, not because it's our right. It's Nintendo's right to stop us pirating - it isn't our right to stop them from stopping us from pirating. Nintendo receive practically no benefits whatsoever from pirates, regardless of the nonsense people will spread to try to make it sound like piracy is more beneficial than it is detrimental. Everyone who pirates games is a thief, so stop trying to make us sound like we're Robin bloody Hood. 'Cause we ain't. Stop acting so damn proud of the fact that you're a pirate. There's nothing to be proud of.

I sooo agree with Wintrale.

This should be it.
Nintendo should offer updates to combat piracy, they shouldn't force them.l

zeric7x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing going to stop me from pirating I say! if its not pirated right away I simply will wait into I can download my games for free then..or not buy a 3ds at all...I can understand why people say oh don't pirate support the devs.. I enjoy the games they make I do but at the same time If I can download the latest game for free you bet I will!...so I hope that somehow 3ds gets hacked......I'm sure quite a few people disprove of what I said but that's fine....you take your OWN money and go buy your OWN games...because I can not really afford to..lol I can't afford a 3ds probably to begin with so I don't why I'm even making a big deal LOL. I just don't like how people make people who pirate games sound like were this evil group of people who hate video game devs..I pirate out a necessity because I know I cant not afford to buy all the games I enjoy to play. plus after playing a game after while usually I get Bord and don't play it again in less it has a really great replay value or was the best game I ever played. but that's what I wanted to say.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Chapter III: Updates/Changes

You understand that the Wii Console specifications and the Wii Network Service are constantly evolving and that we may update or change your Wii Console or the Wii Network Service in whole or in part, without notice to you. Such updates may be required for you to play new Wii games or continue to access the Wii Network Service. We may also upgrade, change, or terminate the Content or game software or may discontinue offering Products without notice to you.

Source

Considering all Nintendo products follow this, when purchasing their products, you therefore agree to the terms, and have no say as to if and when they do updates.

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the part about how many people chose not to update... They're basically saying, "most people didn't do it when they had a choice, so we're looking into ways to force it down their throats - we believe they chose not to update for some reason other than the fact that the updates didn't add any functionality or improvements"

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Styles420 said:
I love the part about how many people chose not to update... They're basically saying, "most people didn't do it when they had a choice, so we're looking into ways to force it down their throats - we believe they chose not to update for some reason other than the fact that the updates didn't add any functionality or improvements"

And we all know why a person wouldn't update, don't we?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Lolwut?

Most people didn't update because they were never told to. Most people didn't use the shop (which is why the shop version for the 3DS is getting a total revamp) and that's the only time you're made to update. Other than that, if you just want to stick a DS game cart in and play there's no mention of updates at all.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sstomouth said:
Fuck that shit, if it is true, Nintendo will lose sales from me and other pirates. What fags.

That comment is so stupid there is a risk that just reading it might damage IQ let alone prove the poster is indeed an idiot.

Oh and I hope you really are 13, because the term 'fags' is so fucking juvenile it's painful.

Not sure Nintendo likes you in the slightest. Why the hell do you think they are wanting to do it?

Are you that dense?

Myself, well if the new Nintendo was powerful enough to effectively read a pdf file or display a jpeg file I might care. Might.
But it would require a Nintendo sourced program, something that would permit me to read it off of an sd card.

Otherwise, I can't picture myself buying this incredibly expensive doodad that simply won't offer me enough to foresake my perfectly good DSi XL.

Multi tasking sounds neat and all, but I would need to be wanting to do the additional non game tasks.
Currently there are no non game tasks worth mention that I have heard of.

I would be impressed if Nintendo finally actually figured out how to make other than the easiest console to pirate in gaming history.
Not that it would make me suddenly interested in believing their games are suddenly worth my cash.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Regarding comments mentioning EULAs etc.

It should be mentioned that in some cases EULAs are actually invalidated by some laws. In Canada for instance an EULA not presented to be read BEFORE cash changes hands, has zero worth and is void. That's Canadian law and nothing Nintendo writes can suspend or invalidate Canadian law whether you say yes or no.

So just agreeing to an EULA means nothing if it violates the legal code.

Companies don't make laws, nations make laws.

So keep it in mind, if the nation you live in contradicts a contract, the contract loses, not the law.

The above was not opinion. It called fact by the way kids
smile.gif

There's a reason why it is legal in Canada to own software that can rip out DRM if it prevents me from making a legal back up copy of a program. Because in Canada it is legal to make back up copies regardless of what is written in the EULA. And saying I won't do it during install, does not mean I can't later, because the company was never able to usurp the law in the first place.

If your nation says you can return a product in 30 days if it is defective for a refund, then it is not relevant if a store doesn't like that they don't accept returns on PC games for instance. The store can't edit alter or deny legal rights just by writing up a policy. Sometimes sales are NOT final.

silverbullet1080

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Panzer Tacticer said:

It should be mentioned that in some cases EULAs are actually invalidated by some laws. In Canada for instance an EULA not presented to be read BEFORE cash changes hands, has zero worth and is void. That's Canadian law and nothing Nintendo writes can suspend or invalidate Canadian law whether you say yes or no.

So keep it in mind, if the nation you live in contradicts a contract, the contract loses, not the law.

smile.gif

There's a reason why it is legal in Canada to own software that can rip out DRM if it prevents me from making a legal back up copy of a program. Because in Canada it is legal to make back up copies regardless of what is written in the EULA. And saying I won't do it during install, does not mean I can't later, because the company was never able to usurp the law in the first place.

If your nation says you can return a product in 30 days if it is defective for a refund, then it is not relevant if a store doesn't like that they don't accept returns on PC games for instance. The store can't edit alter or deny legal rights just by writing up a policy. Sometimes sales are NOT final.
1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

Thread over folks.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Lolwut?

Most people didn't update because they were never told to. Most people didn't use the shop (which is why the shop version for the 3DS is getting a total revamp) and that's the only time you're made to update. Other than that, if you just want to stick a DS game cart in and play there's no mention of updates at all.

As far as I know, there are no DSiWare games that actually use any functionality that has come with the newest DSi updates (if there was any functionality at all). Because DS games required no such updates on DSis, there was little to notify people when playing those games. Now, on something like the Wii, however, many games require a certain version of the system OS to play (which come packed in with the game), and it tells you the moment you put in (or I should say within a few seconds) the disk if the update is required. If you decline to update, then the game isn't launched. You can obviously update manually if the Wii's been connected to the internet, but even then, there's is an indicator of "new mail", visual and audio, but that update isn't forced except when wanting to check the shop out and such.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:

smile.gif

Of course the country's law take priority in such matters, but if a product operates in a certain way which is against the law, then that product is unlawful, yes? It would be banned from the country, yes? If it's not banned or is being sold in that country, then that country must be allowing what it does, yes? So, if you wanted a 3DS, but you lived in a country that found it unlawful because of what it does, then you're out of luck. Should you then import it, or buy it on the black market, then the country has no jurisdiction in the matter because the product was not acquired/purchased by legal means.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.