Hacking 3DS Cheats + flash card?

impy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So I want to replay some Pokemon games without all the excessive grinding, which is why I plan on using cheats to help me with that.

I am planning on buying a Stargate 3DS card so I can play both 3DS and NDS games with it. Is there a way to use cheats with that card or...?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So I want to replay some Pokemon games without all the excessive grinding, which is why I plan on using cheats to help me with that.

I am planning on buying a Stargate 3DS card so I can play both 3DS and NDS games with it. Is there a way to use cheats with that card or...?
You don't need a Stargate 3DS, and it wouldn't help you with cheats anyway. For cheats you can use the community free NTR, or use a Gateway card - which isn't recommended because it requires lower firmware, is dangerous, and is harder to set up (unless you have a really low firmware, but even then it is a bit inconvenient to use).

Recommended solution is to set up free CFW by following https://3ds.guide (if you are on 11.4 or higher you will need to buy a flashcart, or use the seedminer method which costs about $2) and use NTR for cheats.

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: impy101

impy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You don't need a Stargate 3DS, and it wouldn't help you with cheats anyway. For cheats you can use the community free NTR, or use a Gateway card - which isn't recommended because it requires lower firmware, is dangerous, and is harder to set up (unless you have a really low firmware, but even then it is a bit inconvenient to use).

Recommended solution is to set up free CFW by following https://3ds.guide (if you are on 11.4 or higher you will need to buy a flashcart, or use the seedminer method which costs about $2) and use NTR for cheats.
So wait, I no longer need a flash card to play games?

impy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nope. You'll need one for DS games, but that's all.
Well that's not too bad. Those are pretty cheap nowadays. I thought I was going to have to buy an expensive card to play 3DS games as well.

So which card to you recommend for NDS games (that I can use cheats on)?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well that's not too bad. Those are pretty cheap nowadays. I thought I was going to have to buy an expensive card to play 3DS games as well.

So which card to you recommend for NDS games (that I can use cheats on)?
I'm not too sure. But this has been asked a few times so try searching on google by using 'site:gbatemp.net' (to get results only from here) in your search, and maybe 'recommended DS flashcart cheats'. If you need the flashcart to install CFW, the easiest option is to get one with a switch so you can change between ntrboot flashed and normal (for playing DS games) very easily.
I'll tag @Lilith Valentine here since she's online and she usually has an opinion whenever someone asks for a flashcart recommendation :-)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nope. You'll need one for DS games, but that's all.
I want to add to this because you can also use a flashcart (I suggest the R4i Gold Plus) to install B9S using the NTRBoot method. This method is easily one the easiest and most recommended methods for hacking the 3DS. Plus with the cart I suggested, you can switch between NTRBoot and NDS Mode.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot

I'll tag @Lilith Valentine here since she's online and she usually has an opinion whenever someone asks for a flashcart recommendation :-)
Sup ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

impy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I want to add to this because you can also use a flashcart (I suggest the R4i Gold Plus) to install B9S using the NTRBoot method. This method is easily one the easiest and most recommended methods for hacking the 3DS. Plus with the cart I suggested, you can switch between NTRBoot and NDS Mode.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot

Sup ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Hmm, there's no plus version in my country. How about the R4i Gold Pro?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

impy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You can flash ntrboot to the R4i Gold Pro and use that for NTRBoot. The only issue with the Gold Pro is that the official kernel has a timebomb, so it's heavily recommended you use Retro's files to bypass that timebomb
https://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/
I have no idea what that is, but I can always learn.

Fact is; the plus variant is not available. Otherwise I have to ship from outside the country and that could turn out to be expensive. If you have any other recommendations then I'm always willing to listen.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An Acekard 2i is also a good card, although they're not in production anymore as far as I know. Some sites still sell them though.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have no idea what that is, but I can always learn.

Fact is; the plus variant is not available. Otherwise I have to ship from outside the country and that could turn out to be expensive. If you have any other recommendations then I'm always willing to listen.
A timebomb is basically a purposely set date in the kernel for the cart that deactivates the usability of the kernel in order to force you to buy a new cart. Retro's files provide a homebrew kernel called "YSMenu" that can bypass this timebomb and allow you to continue to use the cart past the time the "expiration date."
What I can recommend really depends on what other systems you have laying around. Every single cart on the market made by the R4i-SDHC team can be flashed to run NTRBoot, but they all have a timebomb in the kernel. Regardless my second suggestion would be the R4i-B9S, since it comes pre-flashed with NTRBoot and can be flashed back to a normal R4i-SDHC. Or saving a couple of bucks and buying just a normal R4i-SDHC and flashing that with NTRBoot. There are other methods, but some like the Ak2i or DSTT require additional hardware to flash NTRBoot onto.

An Acekard 2i is also a good card, although they're not in production anymore as far as I know. Some sites still sell them though.
Actually there are some 1:1 clones still being made that function the same and still work with NTRBoot. The only issue is that they don't work on anything above 4.3, so they require either another hacked system or a DS(lite/phat) or DSi 1.44/below.

Reactions: ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually there are some 1:1 clones still being made that function the same and still work with NTRBoot. The only issue is that they don't work on anything above 4.3, so they require either another hacked system or a DS(lite/phat) or DSi 1.44/below.
Ah, right, I totally forgot that you need a hacked 3DS/DSi or a DS to set up NTRBoot on an Acekard 2i. Good point!

impy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A timebomb is basically a purposely set date in the kernel for the cart that deactivates the usability of the kernel in order to force you to buy a new cart. Retro's files provide a homebrew kernel called "YSMenu" that can bypass this timebomb and allow you to continue to use the cart past the time the "expiration date."
What I can recommend really depends on what other systems you have laying around. Every single cart on the market made by the R4i-SDHC team can be flashed to run NTRBoot, but they all have a timebomb in the kernel. Regardless my second suggestion would be the R4i-B9S, since it comes pre-flashed with NTRBoot and can be flashed back to a normal R4i-SDHC. Or saving a couple of bucks and buying just a normal R4i-SDHC and flashing that with NTRBoot. There are other methods, but some like the Ak2i or DSTT require additional hardware to flash NTRBoot onto.

To hell with that. I will order the card you suggested. I went to the official site and found an official reseller that has free shipping. Sure, it'll take a few weeks, but I'm a patient guy.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To hell with that. I will order the card you suggested. I went to the official site and found an official reseller that has free shipping. Sure, it'll take a few weeks, but I'm a patient guy.

Thanks for all the advice so far!
Good to hear! I tend to do things around the forums, so don't hesitate to tag or PM me if you need any help

impy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yep, found it. Seems to be working nicely. Is there a "timebomb" with this card that I need to be aware of?

Tigger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, found it. Seems to be working nicely. Is there a "timebomb" with this card that I need to be aware of?

No timebomb, and it has a switch inside to switch between ntrboot, and DS mode, so no need to flash the card. Switch to ntrboot mode, install CFW then switch back and play your DS roms.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-