Homebrew 3DNES - NES Emulator

andre104623

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people here need to understand that homebrew can take years to code, debug, test. People are still working on the PS3N64. BlargSNES is the best homebrew for the 3ds right now as far as emu's but really I don't know why st4rk is still adding support for 3DNES since we can recompile NES e-shop titles and put any NES game we want in a .cia and install it to the homescreen and they have sound too. For ninjhax users I can understand the wait and it would be nice to play some NES games in 3D but I think we are very far from that still.

Now playing some Sega Master system, Megadrive, Gamegear, Sega CD that would be really cool on the 3DS.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people here need to understand that homebrew can take years to code, debug, test. People are still working on the PS3N64. BlargSNES is the best homebrew for the 3ds right now as far as emu's but really I don't know why st4rk is still adding support for 3DNES since we can recompile NES e-shop titles and put any NES game we want in a .cia and install it to the homescreen and they have sound too. For ninjhax users I can understand the wait and it would be nice to play some NES games in 3D but I think we are very far from that still.

Now playing some Sega Master system, Megadrive, Gamegear, Sega CD that would be really cool on the 3DS.
Because some NES games crash, having more than one savestate would be nice, and other features like zapper support could be added in theory.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't know why st4rk is still adding support for 3DNES since we can recompile NES e-shop titles and put any NES game we want in a .cia and install it to the homescreen and they have sound too.

Good luck playing games that use Konami VRC-6/7 (Akumajou Densetsu, Japanese Castlevania, with way better sound), or any HK pirate originals (e.g. games that use very weird hardware that Nintendo would never support in the Virtual Console) on Nintendo's emulator. I realise neither of those would be supported on 3DNES right now, but who knows, there's always a possibility with a homebrew emulator, versus none with Nintendo's.

Also, like I said before, maybe he's doing it for the personal challenge/sake of learning, or perhaps he wants there to always be an alternative? It doesn't really matter why.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah cheat support, multiple save states, not having to have like 40 eshop games on your homescreen, better compatibility, with VC repacks you just have to hope nintendo did enough with the emulator to support the game you want, its all hit and miss, but with homebrew bugs can be fixed and worked on by the dev and compatibility can be improved over time rather than does it work yes or no

granted i can see why there is less of a demand that say a GBA/SNES emulator as they have no other option, but for me a really good homebrew emulator would be better than repacks

Reactions: daxtsu

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

When the PS3 CFW came out and all the Homebrew/Emus were being dished out I was itching for a N64 Emu. Everyone was saying it would never happen. Hell, there was even a Test Video out showing that someone was trying to get a Dreamcast Emu made ( Whatever happened to it, who knows.). Way I see it, you never know what a Device is capable of Emulating until you try it. Some might find some really big surprises, while others will find disappointments. Me, I see a possibility that the 3DS could run the NES perfectly at some point along with SNES, Sega Gen/MD, Virtual Boy (3D Will be AWESOME!!!), CPS1, CPS2, a big maybe on CPS3, NeoGeo, a hopefuly on a later Build of MAME, N64 (and with the C Nub, everything with the Controls will be perfect). I dont see Emulation going at or beyond Saturn/DC, and we all know GC wont even come close.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the PS3 CFW came out and all the Homebrew/Emus were being dished out I was itching for a N64 Emu. Everyone was saying it would never happen. Hell, there was even a Test Video out showing that someone was trying to get a Dreamcast Emu made ( Whatever happened to it, who knows.). Way I see it, you never know what a Device is capable of Emulating until you try it. Some might find some really big surprises, while others will find disappointments. Me, I see a possibility that the 3DS could run the NES perfectly at some point along with SNES, Sega Gen/MD, Virtual Boy (3D Will be AWESOME!!!), CPS1, CPS2, a big maybe on CPS3, NeoGeo, a hopefuly on a later Build of MAME, N64 (and with the C Nub, everything with the Controls will be perfect). I dont see Emulation going at or beyond Saturn/DC, and we all know GC wont even come close.

You DO realize a 3ds is significantly less powerful than a ps3, right? If N64 emulation happens, there will be a lot of speed hacks that go into it (which will sacrifice game compatibility)....

Reactions: Smoker1

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but if you think about it, The PSP had older, less accurate Hardware, had to use Hacks for the Games, and a good amount of them worked pretty good. But there were quite a few that had major Issues. Now all these Years later, the O3DS and especially the N3DS has newer, and better Hardware. Not to mention, in most, more that the PSP did. So if you examine the differences, and calculate them, the 3DS Old and New (more New than old I think), I believe we could possibly see N64 Emulated with quite a few more Games in Total running great than the PSP did.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the reason a ps3 n64 emu never happened is because they are trying to make it legit with psl1ght instead of just using leaked SDK
ps3 is plenty capable of emulating a n64 hardware wise

D

Deleted User

If BlargSNES is the same way, a .cia will actually work better. From what BlargSNES claims, .3ds can't have sound.

Actually, 3DS files can have sound. The RSF file used for making a 3DS file needs the base64 encoded descriptor modified as well to match any changes to the service access list.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Actually, 3DS files can have sound. The RSF file used for making a 3DS file needs the base64 encoded descriptor modified as well to match any changes to the service access list.

Woa woa...
Are you saying that basically we can have .3DS version of ALL the emus and have sound with them if we load them up via Gateway?! O.O
I would totally LOVE that!
I hate having to resort to installing the CIA for each app!

D

Deleted User

Woa woa...
Are you saying that basically we can have .3DS version of ALL the emus and have sound with them if we load them up via Gateway?! O.O
I would totally LOVE that!
I hate having to resort to installing the CIA for each app!

As long as the app properly gives itself CSND access in the RSF file, yes.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
As long as the app properly gives itself CSND access in the RSF file, yes.

So basically the emulators can work with sound as .3DS, only thing is that it is being locked out because of RSF file?

Damn, I do hope that the main 3 emulators for the 3DS can get that file properly modifed to allow full access for sound via .3DS files.
Would feel like those old Wii days without needing to install anything as a WAD. XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1