300GB Blu-Ray Successor by 2015

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
300GB... That's tough.

Too big and expensive for home use (you can bet the disks and burner will make BD burners and disks at launch look like a steal.)

Too small and expensive for professional use, as I understand it most professionals working with raw footage use hard drives now for video production. (Hard drives that use that eSata thing from what I understand.)

About the only use that makes sense to me is going mass production and trying to convince people to dump 1080P BD movies in favor of 4K and 8K,
Going to be a tougher sell than even going from DVD to BD. Most people can tell the difference between a 480i and 1080P video (although up-scaling DVD players can muddy that a bit.) I have to wonder what % of the population will be able to tell the difference between a good 1080P video and 4K or 8K video? While in the same breath how many of that % that will be able to tell the difference how many of them will feel the difference is worth the price premium?

Of course you will always have those who "Money is no object!" and they have to have the best even if there is no difference.... Monster sells a whole line of cables just for these people.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
300 GB is mainly for upcoming 4K and 8K video. But if you can't tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray then good for you. I can easily tell the difference between 480i on DVD and 720/1080p on Blu-ray on a 23 inch monitor, much less than 40" TV.
But I can. As I said: with Blu-ray, actors have pimples and wrinkles and the scenery of the average set looks like carbon board (which it probably is).

The point is that I fail to see the advantage of all these details. What advantage is 4k going to bring? Being able to count the nose hairs of all the actors? :rolleyes:

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you want it be dead? US internet infrastructure is severely lacking. There is no way digital distribution can replace Blu-ray or its successor anytime soon.

If copyright holders and publishers could get their crap together, they could easily have an efficient digital distribution service set up. Look at how iTunes changed the music industry, we now have internet speeds fast enough/hard drives big enough to accommodate digital movies, if you could purchase them that way.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But I can. As I said: with Blu-ray, actors have pimples and wrinkles and the scenery of the average set looks like carbon board (which it probably is).

The point is that I fail to see the advantage of all these details. What advantage is 4k going to bring? Being able to count the nose hairs of all the actors? :rolleyes:

Since when are we against visual detail? Since when are we against technology advancement?

If copyright holders and publishers could get their crap together, they could easily have an efficient digital distribution service set up. Look at how iTunes changed the music industry, we now have internet speeds fast enough/hard drives big enough to accommodate digital movies, if you could purchase them that way.
It has nothing to do with copyright holder or publisher.

Average US broadband speed is 8.3 Mbps, and only 28% out of 80% of those who have access to broadband internet signed up for a subscription. That's only 22.4% of the population have access to broadband internet. Average 8.3 Mbps is heavily skewed by metropolitan area. In suburban and rural area you have ISP like AT&T advertising 756 Kbps as broadband internet. As it right now US is completely incapable for 100% digital distribution, and won't be anytime soon, not unless ISP do something about it. But they won't, or else why impose bandwidth limit to oversell bandwidth?

Sony thought about going all digital for PS4, but decided against it. Reason: lack of internet infrastructure.

US government definition on broadband is laughable and dated: 4 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up.

Lastly

Tempin' at the speed of sound
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HDVD vs Blu-Ray seems like yesteryear. And heck, Blu-Ray still quite some big bags of Rupees, let it alone 300GB successor and HVD.

Good thing I packed up 200 pack x 60 DVD disks a decade ago. That leaves me a good 55TB of reliable backup.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
HDVD vs Blu-Ray seems like yesteryear. And heck, Blu-Ray still quite some big bags of Rupees, let it alone 300GB successor and HVD.

Good thing I packed up 200 pack x 60 DVD disks a decade ago. That leaves me a good 55TB of reliable backup.

Do you really need that much of storage?
I couldn't fill 55TB even if I wanted to, are you planning on downloading the entire internet or something?

Lastly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you really need that much of storage?
I couldn't fill 55TB even if I wanted to, are you planning on downloading the entire internet or something?
There was a website closeout, so it was dirt cheap. I can't remember how much it was, but a disk was about a hundredth of a cent per disk.
My friends and family harass me for copies of everything, so it's a win-win situation.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do they really need this much space to store a movie? Do they want to store the entire 100 years of film making onto 1 or 2 of these discs? This is beyond stupid: and I thought the jump to Blu-Ray was stupid... Well at least they'll be able to charge higher prices for this thing.

Lastly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do they really need this much space to store a movie? Do they want to store the entire 100 years of film making onto 1 or 2 of these discs? This is beyond stupid: and I thought the jump to Blu-Ray was stupid... Well at least they'll be able to charge higher prices for this thing.
You're making the assumption I use the full 4.7GB in every disk.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thing must be absolutely flooded with data redundancy and CRC's. A single scratch on one of these would obliterate a lot of data.
Ahahaha that's funny, mostly because I experienced that before with normal DVDs, I'd have a fit if I lost 150GB because the laser couldn't look past a scratch :lol:

So I propose gorilla glass coated discs. That's possible, right? Come on, we're in the future now, if slim phones can have it, what's not to like?

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pop one of these in an envelope, put a stamp on it and stick it in the mailbox and suddenly snail mail has higher bandwidth than your internet service :P

lmao...actually with my internet (america country side) we just got an internet upgrade (if you call it that) before the upgrade I had a blazing speed of 100 mbs down and 56m up...now that is 300 mbs down and 100 up...I am still not sure why they even bothered dropping there outdated lines just to upgrade to that...waste of money on the companies side if you ask me...

Reactions: Maxternal

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
Ugh!:glare: More discs!?!
When the devil are they going to accept that discs were outdated the instant that affordable flash memory could exceed 16GB!!!
All the bloody clutter discs give is driving me up the wall, and its a pain trying to keep them in good condition!!

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
US government definition on broadband is laughable and dated: 4 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up.

Actually according to the FCC guide lines anything less then 10 mega bytes download is not considered broadband internet. It has been this way since the beginning of 2011. But ISPs can legally use the words high speed as long as the speed is higher then 4 Mbps. Unfortunately ISPs have been getting away with false ADs because the FCC has been known to take bribes from the very large companies in the US & Canada.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @btjunior, you act like if you were about 10