Hacking 3 in 1 plus?

Chaunzaggaroth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the difference between the 3 in 1+ and the old 3 in 1? Did the "plus" only come about because the old hardware supplier died? I've read that the new "plus" wasn't as compatible with "unofficial apps." But those readings were a little outdated. Does that statement still stand?

I'm curious because I just bought a DSL, refurbished and am going to be purchasing a 3 in 1 gep. I already have an acekard2i and will be getting an 8gb sdhc (a-data).

I also don't know if I'll need to flash the ofw.

~chaunzaggaroth

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
No need to flash anything.

3in1 Plus is better than the 3in1 as has double the RAM. I have the A2i and the 3in1+ working together just fine.

Recommend having Akaio 1.5 as the main FW on the A2i and the latest AK loader in the Ak2 loaders directory.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The EZ 3in1 Plus has twice of NOR memory compared to the v2 or v1. So 64MB of NOR.
The PSRAM is still 16MB.
More bug on ez 3in1 ? i don't think so. The only problem it could have is old hombrews that are not updated to use the new memory chip adresses.

Chaunzaggaroth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the information.

I currently am running Akaio 1.5 and will make sure to update the loaders often.

Nice to hear I don't have to flash anything. Is there any benefit at all in doing so?

Also, since I will be aiming at snagging a 3 in 1 "plus," do you know how to spot one? Will it be in the title of the product? Or is it noticeable in some other way?

In the descriptions on deal extreme, one of the lite versions (white) has 256mbit norflash instead of 128mbit (black):

white:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1894

black:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967

sfg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mbmax said:
The EZ 3in1 Plus has twice of NOR memory compared to the v2 or v1. So 64MB of NOR.

Btw, is that useful for anything? Because I've tried flashing dsHeretic (with music included), which is about 35MB and it told me there isn't enough space to do that.
What use have 64MB then?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
The 512M (64MB) was made for multi-rom mode. Multi-rom mode can only be currently used by a EZ-Flash V slot1.

Were you trying to flash it to PSRAM? Thats the only way I got the same error you did.

Most vendors donot update the information of what version the 3in1 they sell unless they put the effort to identify what they have in stock. That is why there is a guide to identify what version you got. The only shop that even bothers to identify what version they are selling to you is RHS. The guide is the first link in my sig. Internal loaders do not tell you what version you got, they only tell you if there is a compatible slot2 for you to use or not.

DX will be selling you the 3in1+, they run out of stock fast on occation so it is a garentee you will get a 3in1+.

sfg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to flash it to NOR, both with the Cyclo and with GBAExploader and got that error.

I assume it wouldn't work with a EZ-Flash V slot1 either, correct? It's an old homebrew made for slot2 carts (unfortunately never updated for slot1) so it probably would only work on a slot2 with a memory card.

And how does multi-rom works? Can I flash a couple of roms in nor and then I'll get a menu or something similar from which to select the one I want to play?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Try making dsHeretic without music, you should be able to shave off at least 2MB to fit under 32MB then. If not you will be stuck to use a EZ4 with 40MB of space needed to run it (I don't remember which version has a 40MB space at the moment).

If you got an OLD EZ5 with a non current firmware, it will probably not detect the 3in1+ at all. Only a more recent firmware supports the 3in1+.

For multi-rom mode you get a menu to choose from, you can just keep adding until you reach the end or however many games you can fit, which ever comes first. Like I said before ONLY a EZ5 slot1 supports multi-rom mode. The 1.90b11 is the last to use multi-rom mode for now, the 2.0s current have only single rome mode at the moment for stability reasons.

sfg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it, thanks for the help.

And yes, I can use dsHeretic without music with no problems, I just wanted it with music if possible.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I've had a sudden urge to play DsHeretic and it doesn't work on my Acekard 2i since it's a slot 1 card. But I do have a EZ-Flash 3in1 (not plus), so can anyone tell me how to get it running on it?

Edit: Forget it.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-